Quantcast
Boats school me on them? - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10

Thread: Boats school me on them?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bet if you were to look at the underlying finances, that most AMGs do not incur significant financial stress on a family. On the other hand, I bet most of these wakeboats or whatever represent a significant drain on the respective family's financial resources (I'm not referring to the people in this thread or anything, just in general). Driving around the neighborhood, I see these giant swanky boats that are worth a significant percentage of the house behind them. Maybe its more easily justified because it's a "family activity?" or something? I'm cool with however people want to spend their money.
    That's exactly how they are sold - "think of the memories you will create with your family" Yes, bankruptcy does leave lasting memories. I can't even justify a wakeboat down here where I can use it every weekend outside Dec-Feb. I love em, but as James Hetfield says - if it flies, floats or fxxks, you rent it.

My Ride
    Lariat

Yeah, at the end of the day, a new wake/surf boat is absolutely nut. My buddy is looking at buying a Tige Rzx2. Will probably come in around 150k.
    I will have as much fun on my 17 year old boat that is 1/10 the price. Plus I could probably use mine for a few years and sell it for more than I bought it for!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    Yeah, at the end of the day, a new wake/surf boat is absolutely nut. My buddy is looking at buying a Tige Rzx2. Will probably come in around 150k.
    I will have as much fun on my 17 year old boat that is 1/10 the price. Plus I could probably use mine for a few years and sell it for more than I bought it for!
    That's their new 20' one right? 150K for their entry boat.

My Ride
    Lariat

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    That's their new 20' one right? 150K for their entry boat.
    No, its their 22'. I imagine that new rzx20 will be in the 110-130 range. They also have the entire R line thats supposed to be their 'entry' models
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

No, its their 22'. I imagine that new rzx20 will be in the 110-130 range. They also have the entire R line thats supposed to be their 'entry' models

If you look at those boats north of 6 figures... you can see how it can get there.

The process of hull design, fabrication, electrical, the marinized components and not only that but top of the line components (wetsounds, cameras, GPS systems, indamar 6.2 supercharged) and a top of the line trailer complete with unnecessary 22 inch low profile wheels/tires.

So If you want to make a statement of buying a ZR1 (which is significantly more expensive for your TDSR for a 5-8 year finance) to have a toy that you also can really only use for 4 months of the year as well... why not buy a Malibu or Mastercraft and bring your new wife, your old kids and their hot girlfriends and teach them how to surf?

But honestly, it’s crazy how in a city where we have barely any lakes, how many bowrider and surf boats are sold... it’s all the perception of wealth.

These boats don’t depreciate nearly as quick as cars but they still do depreciate and have a significant Total cost of ownership.

Honestly as long as you can get a decent deep v Hull, direct drive, V8 and gravity ballast... and you take care of your boat... any one should do if tow sports are your thing.

I’ve been on older supremes and moobas and have had fun on them

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    If you look at those boats north of 6 figures... you can see how it can get there.

The process of hull design, fabrication, electrical, the marinized components and not only that but top of the line components (wetsounds, cameras, GPS systems, indamar 6.2 supercharged) and a top of the line trailer complete with unnecessary 22 inch low profile wheels/tires.

So If you want to make a statement of buying a ZR1 (which is significantly more expensive for your TDSR for a 5-8 year finance) to have a toy that you also can really only use for 4 months of the year as well... why not buy a Malibu or Mastercraft and bring your new wife, your old kids and their hot girlfriends and teach them how to surf?

But honestly, it’s crazy how in a city where we have barely any lakes, how many bowrider and surf boats are sold... it’s all the perception of wealth.

These boats don’t depreciate nearly as quick as cars but they still do depreciate and have a significant Total cost of ownership.

Honestly as long as you can get a decent deep v Hull, direct drive, V8 and gravity ballast... and you take care of your boat... any one should do if tow sports are your thing.

I’ve been on older supremes and moobas and have had fun on them
    I use my summer car about twice that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I use my summer car about twice that long.
    people in Chestermere leave their toys moor'd up from April to October... but tow sports aren't very fun when the water is fridgid

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    people in Chestermere leave their toys moor'd up from April to October... but tow sports aren't very fun when the water is fridgid
    Dry suit!

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    People do the same with larger motorhomes as well.

Larger motorhomes? A lot of people get 25 year loans on their $35,000 29' trailer. Shit, wouldn't surprise me if people did that on tent trailers.
    Cos...

Because they trade the boat in every 2-3 years on a brand new one. The boats hold their value really well and the dealers buy them back at top dollar. Its pretty ridiculous actually
    Boats do not hold their value very well, especially for something that has a service life far beyond many cars and they hardly change at all over the years compared again so something like a car. We had a 2004 Wakesetter 23LSV with every option, high end custom stereo, the best trailer, low hours, mint condition, zero problems - sold in 2010 or 2012 (I forget) for less than $30K. Original price was around $100K (around $130K in 2018 dollars). I'd never buy a brand new boat ever again based on how crappy resale is, and how little they change over the years. I would buy that 2004 boat back in a heartbeat and it would fit right in alongside the new stuff on the lake.

Boats are grossly overpriced in general IMO - mostly speaking about the big wake boats. They are basically a fiberglass shell with poor overall fit an finish, some pumps for ballast tanks, a lot of vinyl, and usually a basic american V8 in it. If you can't see it, it probably isn't finished (like the trunk of a car). Maybe R&D costs are insane, but I can't imagine what the manufacturer markup on boats is these days. Absolutely loved that thing and have been a boater for most of my life but I'd never buy a brand new boat again. Also if you want to boat in Alberta and BC, you have 3-4 tops months unless you want to break out the drysuits.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10