Boats school me on them? - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Boats school me on them?

My Ride
    2014 Tundra 1794 + 2016 X1

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you're in "luck"

the only thing that needs to be registered is technically the trailer.

A dingy zodiac likely was never registered but that can be checked with transportation Canada, and registration I don't believe is manditory unless you intend on using it in open bodies of water. (its also free, and if it wasn't registered before, you may not need proof of purchase)

No insurance is required neither

Boating license is all you need bud...

knowing that a 4 stroke outboard "new" is quite pricy at 20hp, I'd suggest you find something like a well maintained 2 stroke Evinrude or Johnson from years past. Having used them on my friend's Zodiac when we were kids, I recall them being super easy to work on and I believe parts are very easy to find.
    Got the boating license and picked up an old evinrude for cheap (18 hp).

Can I just walk into a registry and register then without bill of sale? They will assign me a reg number to out on the boat as well?

Online wouldn't let me register the boat without Bill of sale.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Anything with more than a 9.9 needs reg numbers
    Yes that's what I hear. That's what I want to do so that I can legally run the larger motor.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Boat ownership changes is the most ancient of government services... it's a nationally regulated thing... not provincial, has to be done by mail to... I want to say St. John? ...somewhere on the east coast... can take 6 months to a year to change

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Boat ownership changes is the most ancient of government services... it's a nationally regulated thing... not provincial, has to be done by mail to... I want to say St. John? ...somewhere on the east coast... can take 6 months to a year to change
    I did it recently, and I am pretty sure I recieved a temporary registration that was emailed that ref'd the boats and is done online:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...cence-1898.htm

came in the mail about a month later

My Ride
    Changes everyday...

I am a newbie to boats & how their mechanics work. Definitely different than a vehicle I am assuming with some similarities.

What are some of things to ask the seller & look for when buying privately?

I have asked the following questions so far:

- Length of Ownership
    - Service History
    - Where was it stored
    - Approx hours for boats with out hour meter
    - What kind of Leg

Anything else, I am sure it is the best to have the seller take it to a marine shop & get it inspected at your own dime.

Quote Originally Posted by black300 View Post
    I am a newbie to boats & how their mechanics work. Definitely different than a vehicle I am assuming with some similarities.

What are some of things to ask the seller & look for when buying privately?

I have asked the following questions so far:

- Length of Ownership
    - Service History
    - Where was it stored
    - Approx hours for boats with out hour meter
    - What kind of Leg

Anything else, I am sure it is the best to have the seller take it to a marine shop & get it inspected at your own dime.
    I think you can do some due diligence... but it all depends on what you are willing to do to get the boat up to your standards.

I know a lady with a 1977 Tri-hull glastron with an older 115 hp Mercury outboard that is tip top with a GREAT interior, but because the boat's moored in a slip all season... the gel coat in the bottom is starting to go, as is the custom cover. but overall she's owned it since day 1, and its in otherwise immaculate condition... so the "age" isn't always a deterrent nor is hours as long as its had a good service history

Gel coat restore can be done by yourself with a good polisher (if it can be restored) and custom covers aren't that expensive, nor are interiors "relatively"

but making sure the motor, the leg, the electronics and the Hull is in good shape is foundational.

If you can find someone who knows boats to look at them with you, do it.

My Ride
    2005 F350

just spent a week in Montana with my cousin and his 2017 Mastercraft X23.

man, what an awesome boat! the luxuries it has and the wake it throws in night and day better than his 2007 was. much easier to swap riders, etc.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Nicely inconspicuous.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Heh, good thing that we got our boat in early and out before the robbery this year.. Not that its worth $200k haha.

My Ride
    V8s

Seems to me, those boats would be nearly impossible to sell (unless they already had buyers lined up). Are they just stealing them to keep and use? If so, how are they gonna register them, etc? Not exactly easy to part out either.

Interesting.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Seems to me, those boats would be nearly impossible to sell (unless they already had buyers lined up). Are they just stealing them to keep and use? If so, how are they gonna register them, etc? Not exactly easy to part out either.

Interesting.
    I don't think boat registration is as organized as car... low enough price and someone will think they're getting a deal.... or perhaps they are just going to a remote lake that isn't patrolled by authorities, or over the border...

My Ride
    TRD Pro

One boat we had, we registered it but didnt put the actual numbers on it for something like 4 years.. and were only checked once. Depending on the lake its pretty easy to get away with.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Regarding buying a used boat, be sure to ask about the trailer as well. Some may need a lot of work if they have been neglected (brakes, lights, etc.)

Just as an aside, we rented a 9 pax wake boat last month on Sushwap for 500$ for an 8 hour day (plus 150$ in gas).
    Even if we had our own boat from Calgary, when you consider the extra vehicle gas required, the extra maintenance, the finding of a suitable launch point - it just made more sense to rent.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post

Interesting.
    Hopefully they thought that far ahead and didnt just go and steal the most expensive boats they could. These things are huge and draw attention everywhere, shit even the tri axle trailer sticks out like a sore thumb. Towing these things around would be like walking around with a big bulls eye

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Hopefully they thought that far ahead and didnt just go and steal the most expensive boats they could. These things are huge and draw attention everywhere, shit even the tri axle trailer sticks out like a sore thumb. Towing these things around would be like walking around with a big bulls eye
    4 Super Air Nautique... from Wizard, gotta wonder if this was an inside job

so I figure I may as well write a wrap up for my 2017 experience...

Boats like members comes in many shapes and sizes and can be used many different ways

so far, I'm very happy with my relatively small investment, though I did have to go through some learning pains of boat ownership

I am acctually quite happy with the Seadoo boat I picked up as it does what I want and even when not tubing or skiing, its also a blast to hammer waves in.... and keeps me happy for "now". Its a boat where if you don't have the luxury of having a spotter or the weather is inclement, one can have a BLAST driving this giant jetski, and what's crazy is that Scarab still makes this boat called a 165 (16.5 footer) 1400lb boat with a 255hp rotax.

As the wife has said, in a few years as our family grows and their intrestes in watersports increase... the likelyhood will be to move to a proper Watersports boat, or completely the other direction to a pontoon

its been a blast, but definately boat ownership isn't for everyone; truly requiring time for all that towing, use, and sweat equity for cleaning/polishing.... Money for the intial capital and definately some set aside for the annual maintenance (luckily my jet boat is stupid cheap to winterize) and unexpected costs (i.e. destroying props, fiberglass repairs, trailer repairs and legs)

Now that Bayliner has purchased Heyday, I hope that more of the conventional runabout manufacturers can get into provide more of a economical option to make watersports more accessable

(Scarab and Yamaha apparently have wake optioned jet boats, but I really don't think they compare to a vdriven flat hull'd badboy with an indamar)

I also had the luxury of spending time on my neighbor's Malibu and the other's Bayliner and got many many hours on the water this year... and I must say that ownership or not, being on a boat is a great experience.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 09-23-2017 at 09:36 AM.

My Ride
    Lariat

Well gang I am quite disappointed today. I had talked with a guy selling a 2007 Malibu Response LXI, we had negotiated price and I was going to test drive it saturday morning. Got up in the am to make sure all was good to go and he said the boat sold the night before to some buyer who emailed the money friday night without even seeing the boat. I hate dealing with people sometimes. I had the cash ready to go, we had a handshake agreement, I have storage, insurance and everything else ready to go. Heres hoping I can find something just as nice prior to summer next year. I am super bitter right now and I hope the engine grenades next time the boat is turned on
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

^^ That sucks but you cant really blame him for taking that deal. Hand shakes dont mean anything to a complete stranger, shit even written contracts can be voided lol He had a 100% pain free deal vs a 99% deal with some potential issues after the test drive. Winters not even here yet so keep searching and im sure youll find something better.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    Well gang I am quite disappointed today. I had talked with a guy selling a 2007 Malibu Response LXI, we had negotiated price and I was going to test drive it saturday morning. Got up in the am to make sure all was good to go and he said the boat sold the night before to some buyer who emailed the money friday night without even seeing the boat. I hate dealing with people sometimes. I had the cash ready to go, we had a handshake agreement, I have storage, insurance and everything else ready to go. Heres hoping I can find something just as nice prior to summer next year. I am super bitter right now and I hope the engine grenades next time the boat is turned on
    That's tough - there will be another one next year. I feel your pain, but I can see it from the seller's point of view too. A bird in the hand.....hope it works out with a better boat in 2018

I dont know much about boats. But i do know ill float yours, big fella.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast