Quantcast
Photo radar coming to QEII. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Photo radar coming to QEII.

Originally posted by codetrap
    Yes. They're talking about the QEII inside Leduc City limits. So, just like Calgary or Edmonton, Leduc is cashing in.
    Shiiitttt.... reading > me. Thanks code.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by mzdspd
    The intersection that they are referring too is definitely dangerous, especially in the winter However, if they want to promote safety at that interchange area, why don't they just slow that specific area to 90 and warn people of the merge lanes. Or just look into redesigning that intersection.
    Or throw up one of these:

That bridge is basically our Calf Robe bridge in the winter, except it probably freezes up more often due to the colder climate up there.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    LNF

Originally posted by rage2

That bridge is basically our Calf Robe bridge in the winter, except it probably freezes up more often due to the colder climate up there.
    That makes perfect sense but this province cares more about revenue then safety.. They should also use variable limits for the red deer gasoline alley interchange too..

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Originally posted by SKR
    I know most people won't read the article, but 140km/hr is a pretty brisk pace through Leduc.
    Maybe I am just blind, but where in the article did they say they are only targeting excessive speeders? He says they are not going after 10 over, and the example study he specifies says that they found X number of people traveling 30k/hr or more over the speed limit.
    This does not mean they are not going to do the same thing they do in the city and set the limit at 13km/hr over and call it a day (not technically targeting 10 over). 123 on the highway is nothing in the summer and VERY VERY comfortable speed to travel.
    Signature..... I ate it!!

If they are truly concerned about reducing accidents and not profit generation they should handle it like a lot of Europe when the photo radar units are permanent fixed boxes in areas that are considered dangerous zones that they want speeds keep within the limit without exception. Then they put big signs up before entering those areas warning that there are photo radar boxes shortly ahead.

If you know they are always there no matter what and you are reminded they are there every time you pass, you slow down, no doubt about it. Only that will guarantee a speed reduction and reduce accidents in those spots. Anything else is simply trying to catch and tax you... Not actually slow you down.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:28 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Also, WTF... why is that sign reading 60 on a beautiful day?
    Someone is thinking of the children.... I mean animals.

My Ride
    LNF

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Also, WTF... why is that sign reading 60 on a beautiful day?
    According to the tweet they are doing road clean up and that is why the limit is slow... Definitely a good idea but Alberta will never do it. They rather just collect wherever they can.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The tweet explains it haha. I'm guessing workers inside the tunnel cleaning. It's a blind corner in there. They don't even allow lane changes inside because you can't see around the corners at the normal 120km/h limit.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by mzdspd

According to the tweet they are doing road clean up and that is why the limit is slow... Definitely a good idea but Alberta will never do it. They rather just collect wherever they can.
    If the City of Calgary tried this they'd probably choose the vendor that attempted to make the Connect card and the sign wouldn't turn on

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If they want to slow people down, stick a BIG BRIGHT PINK camera on a pole and attach the speed limit to the back of that camera.

GUARANTEED that people will slow down.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by quick_scar

Maybe I am just blind, but where in the article did they say they are only targeting excessive speeders? He says they are not going after 10 over, and the example study he specifies says that they found X number of people traveling 30k/hr or more over the speed limit.
    This does not mean they are not going to do the same thing they do in the city and set the limit at 13km/hr over and call it a day (not technically targeting 10 over). 123 on the highway is nothing in the summer and VERY VERY comfortable speed to travel.
    The article doesn't really say anything about who they will or won't target, just that they have a number of people going 140 through Leduc. And I said that's pretty high for Leduc, at least how I remember it.

It wouldn't bother me if they did set it to 123 either. I'm not part of the "I should be able to drive as fast as I want" club here. I would like to, but I don't treat it like it's a right, like some people do.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

People will do 140 then all slam on the brakes when they know they're in a photo radar zone which will cause more accidents. I don't know how much rear ends I've seen from people slowing down to 60 instantly when they see a police car in the distance on the side of the highway.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 12-31-2016 at 12:47 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    People will do 140 then all slam on the brakes when they know they're in a photo radar zone which will cause more accidents. I don't know how much rear ends I've seen from people slowing down to 60 instantly when they see a police car in the distance on the side of the highway.
    With the POLE MOUNTED cameras, many people know where they are and slow down in anticipation.

With the VEHICLE MOUNTED cameras, many people see them last second (inattention) and do hit their brakes. I have seen this many a night on Deerfoot SB when they park the vehicle on the shoulder, by the Memorial offramp.

Dumb question, but why doesent the photo radar unit park on the FAST LANE shoulder, in a spot where there is enough room?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 12-31-2016 at 12:42 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

If 110km/h is an issue in Leduc, does that mean it's not an issue outside of Leduc? Ie. can they raise the limits to 120/130, which is what most people drive? Why is it always a reduction of limits, never an increase to what people are comfortable driving.

It doesn't sound like speed is the issue here, but shitty road design, merging, lane changes, etc. is.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Speed of 140 is considered a safe driving speed in America. How is it that 120km on a straight stretch of road in Alberta is unsafe?

Once photo radar is approved you can safely bet the govt will ticket for 6km over. Edmonton has written hundreds of thousands of tickets for 6km over in Edmonton. Once photo radar is approved it will be abused.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you read the article they're talking about the whole bridge section which isn't straight.

If you read the posts in this thread you'll see us talking about that stretch of road being very dangerous even at 110 in winter.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

It's 10km from the south end of Leduc to Nisku. You'd get there 70 seconds faster at 140 than you would at 110. You can make up that 70 seconds by driving 1km/hr faster from Calgary to Leduc. So this isn't a big deal.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast