Quantcast
Photo radar coming to QEII. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Photo radar coming to QEII.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Was doing some research on Variable Speed Limit studies in Alberta, and hilarious enough this exact stretch of highway was chosen as a pilot project in 2012 by the government of Alberta. Not sure what happened to the project but page 4 explains why it's such a good idea:

https://www.itscanada.ca/files/Repor...0-%20FINAL.pdf

Are there any benefits?
    • Increase in capacity
    • Reduction in travel time variability
    • Reduction in crashes
    • Reduction in CO2 emissions
    • Reduction in noise
    Wait, reduction in CO2 emissions? Wouldn't that be the right thing to do for our health, environment and economy?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by rage2
    Was doing some research on Variable Speed Limit studies in Alberta, and hilarious enough this exact stretch of highway was chosen as a pilot project in 2012 by the government of Alberta. Not sure what happened to the project but page 4 explains why it's such a good idea:

https://www.itscanada.ca/files/Repor...0-%20FINAL.pdf

Wait, reduction in CO2 emissions? Wouldn't that be the right thing to do for our health, environment and economy?
    Good find Rage. I always thought AB Transportation was resistant to VSL. Interesting. I really wish this pilot project moved forward.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, did some more research, the project is on hold and hasn't been approved yet. It's too bad, because it would be great to see QE2 get a speed limit bump to 120km/h or higher in good conditions and lowered during poor driving conditions. I mean, look at Texas, they have speed limits at 130-135km/h (80-85mph) in good sections of roads and there's no carnage. Hell, I used to drive to Montana in the 90's because there was no speed limit, and when they were forced to put a speed limit in place to receive funding, highway fatalities actually went up.

Of course, towns like Ponoka won't be happy with higher speed limits, as it means less revenues because higher limits means higher compliance since average speeds doesn't really go up that much, if at all.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    LNF

It's too bad, because it would be great to see QE2 get a speed limit bump to 120km/h or higher in good conditions and lowered during poor driving conditions.
    Unfortunately in that article they do not say anything about increasing the speed limit.. So I highly doubt that they would increase it (even though it would make perfect sense for good conditions). I think AB and the RCMP are both too money hungry for speeders. They don't care about the safety, it is just money collection. If they truly cared, they would do a study like the one in BC on the Coq.

On another note, they had the first protest for photo radar in edmonton this weekend.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/08/2...st-photo-radar

Originally posted by codetrap
    Everyone keeps saying this, but I've never heard of a collision due to this other than you saying it. Seriously though, how shitty of a driver do you have to be to not be looking down the road to see all the tail lights coming on and just take your foot off the gas? And who actually slams on the brakes at a photo radar? It's not like people are going to race up to it and start locking them up.

This isn't directed at you specifically Redlyne. Just a general observation. I keep hearing this excuse, but in the literally thousands of photo radar traps I've been through I have yet to see any chaos on the road due to it. Just everyone letting off the gas as they approach it, then speeding up again afterwards. Much worse chaos at merges..... /shudder.
    I have witnessed rear end collisions from this before on several occasions. It's not hard to believe at all and it happens both at intersections with cameras, manned lidar traps, and photo radar vehicles on the side of the road. You're cruising along, maybe 10-15 over or maybe you aren't speeding at all. You see that photo radar at the last second, or you forget there is a camera on the intersection you're about to pass through and you hit the brakes. Even when people are doing the speed limit, as soon as they see a speed trap EVERYONE slows down to way below the limit out of habit. Same if people see a police car up ahead with the lights on, everyone brakes out of habit.

I know I've seen a speed trap a little late before, so if I I only have a tiny bit of time to slow down before I pass the photo radar vehicle and maybe get a ticket, I will brake harder than normal.

Put that on a highway where the flow of traffic is regularly 140 and not paying attention, when they see that camera a little late, they are going to hammer the brakes. Like I keep saying, safety is never the priority, not even close - it's just the easiest veil to put on revenue generation.

Yea, did some more research, the project is on hold and hasn't been approved yet. It's too bad, because it would be great to see QE2 get a speed limit bump to 120km/h or higher in good conditions and lowered during poor driving conditions. I mean, look at Texas, they have speed limits at 130-135km/h (80-85mph) in good sections of roads and there's no carnage. Hell, I used to drive to Montana in the 90's because there was no speed limit, and when they were forced to put a speed limit in place to receive funding, highway fatalities actually went up.

Of course, towns like Ponoka won't be happy with higher speed limits, as it means less revenues because higher limits means higher compliance since average speeds doesn't really go up that much, if at all.
    Seeing as Ponoka is policed by the RCMP, I don't believe any of that fine revenue is returned to the town of Ponoka.

My Ride
    LNF

Protest made front page on the sun..

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/08/2...monton-streets

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

From Calgary to Edmonton there are two sections that come to mind that definitely don't need to go up from 110km/h, especially when considering semis and people with trailers in the winter:

1) Just after gasoline alley curving left
    https://goo.gl/maps/bzxExyRCTcT2

2) This bridge in question

Everywhere else, the flow is generally 120km/h anyways, with the odd person flying by you and occasionally someone doddling along at 105.

The variable speed limit is such a great idea - a pilot between Edmonton and Calgary seems logical.
    Ultracrepidarian

Anybody remember the old days when there was a different speed limit for night vs day on some highways?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by suntan
    Anybody remember the old days when there was a different speed limit for night vs day on some highways?
    I thought that was just for trucks?

I remember going from here to Banff. It was 100 at night and 110 in the day. I don't think it was just for trucks.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Why don't they just do it like in Ireland (sure other uk/EU countries use it) with cameras and average speed? Cameras everywhere constantly marking point to point. Prevents the 140-110 slow downs then speed ups. LP is recorded constantly throughout the drive. You cross points faster than a set speed is set, issue a ticket.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by msommers
    From Calgary to Edmonton there are two sections that come to mind that definitely don't need to go up from 110km/h, especially when considering semis and people with trailers in the winter:

1) Just after gasoline alley curving left
    https://goo.gl/maps/bzxExyRCTcT2
    Gas Alley curve is getting rebuilt starting this year and complete in 2018. Design speed of 130 kph.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    Gas Alley curve is getting rebuilt starting this year and complete in 2018. Design speed of 130 kph.
    So speed limit of 100kph then?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

So speed limit of 100kph then?
    Ha, yah probably.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Or when everything was in MPH? Remember both.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:28 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by speedog
    Seeing as Ponoka is policed by the RCMP, I don't believe any of that fine revenue is returned to the town of Ponoka.
    Both Leduc and Ponoka are policed by RCMP AFAIK. Regardless of who's policing, 1/3 of the ticket revenue goes back to the city.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Why don't we just strap government cameras to our car and install a printer on the dash that spits out tickets instead?
    That's not a terrible idea. Those will come in handy when you're forced to take a pit stop and you're without your three seashells.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3