Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 141 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 141 of 193 FirstFirst ... 131 140 141 142 151 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 3846

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I think the Touch Bar is so stupid. I think Apple made it with the hopes that software developers would come up with ways to use it but no one ever did. Plus I much prefer the feel of tactile keys.

Work is trying to get me to upgrade my Late 2013 MBP so I'm in a bit of a bind right now. The new M1 processors look very impressive but there's no support for virtualization right now and I need it to do my work. VMWare has said they're working on it, but who knows how long that will take. My options now are either to stall until there's a virtualization option or to go with an Intel MBP, which I think is way more than I need for a work laptop. I mean I stalled long enough until Apple came up with a better keyboard solution, so maybe I can hold out some more

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the Touch Bar is so stupid. I think Apple made it with the hopes that software developers would come up with ways to use it but no one ever did. Plus I much prefer the feel of tactile keys.

Work is trying to get me to upgrade my Late 2013 MBP so I'm in a bit of a bind right now. The new M1 processors look very impressive but there's no support for virtualization right now and I need it to do my work. VMWare has said they're working on it, but who knows how long that will take. My options now are either to stall until there's a virtualization option or to go with an Intel MBP, which I think is way more than I need for a work laptop. I mean I stalled long enough until Apple came up with a better keyboard solution, so maybe I can hold out some more
    buy my rMBP 2015 and I'll upgrade to M1 Air

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's a tough call, but my take is that I wouldn't roll the dice on virtualization with the M1. The problem with virtualization is that there will be no way to translate it like what Rosetta 2 is doing, and have to rely on emulation. If you've ever used software emulation virtualization, you'll know how painfully slow it is. Unless of course I'm wrong and VMWare/Parallels guys come up with a magic solution, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not ready for M1 yet (need dual external monitors) but I am moving away from virtualization on my Mac and leveraging NUCs and RDP to use the remaining Windows only apps that I still need in preparations for the move.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I am so surprised that the MBP didn't get the Magic Keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I am so surprised that the MBP didn't get the Magic Keyboard.
    What’s magic about it?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    What’s magic about it?
    It doesn't fail?

I thought the butterfly keyboard was dead, and all Macbooks are magic keyboard now.

Just to be clear, we're talking about the scissor mechanism when talking about the Magic keyboard right?

I actually like the butterfly one, or maybe I was just forced to get used to it. I still use it daily on my 2019 work MBP. Only have 1 key go bad on the 2015 MacBook, that's the shift key, from kids playing Minecraft on it.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's a tough call, but my take is that I wouldn't roll the dice on virtualization with the M1. The problem with virtualization is that there will be no way to translate it like what Rosetta 2 is doing, and have to rely on emulation. If you've ever used software emulation virtualization, you'll know how painfully slow it is. Unless of course I'm wrong and VMWare/Parallels guys come up with a magic solution, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not ready for M1 yet (need dual external monitors) but I am moving away from virtualization on my Mac and leveraging NUCs and RDP to use the remaining Windows only apps that I still need in preparations for the move.
    Yeah that's kind of my feeling on it too. I think even if VMWare/Parallels come up with a solution, it would be years until it matures so there will be a lot of growing pains.

I thought the butterfly keyboard was dead, and all Macbooks are magic keyboard now.
    Yeah that's what I thought. It even says the MBP has the magic keyboard on the website.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea pretty sure all the MacBooks on are the “new” keyboards. Whatever you want to call them.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride

I prefer linear keyboards so laptops fall short there. I caught myself looking at Apple Watches last night. This kool aid is strong.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I prefer linear keyboards so laptops fall short there. I caught myself looking at Apple Watches last night. This kool aid is strong.
    Does Apple play nice with your Tesla?

fact.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Nope nothing at all. The XS Max charges though it has to be placed at an angle and doesn't fully sit in the slot. Wife's 8 charges and fits nicely being small. And it's a relative quick charging too and though I didn't time for long but I was estimating it charges 1% ever 3 minutes.
    So I still have this rental... haven’t drove it since I got this phone till today, and holy shit! This 12 pro fits like a glove haha... could see the max being an issue though

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Well shit. Got a MBA M1 8gb base model. Playing around with it on and off, fast is an understatement. Everything is instant. 4K iMovie project (2 min long video with video and color effects) took 2m 44s to render. Ran the same project on a MacBook Pro i5 16gb, took 7m 8s. Holy fuck haha.

Going to test out multiple users and multiple apps running to see if I can save some money and stick with an 8gb base version.

My Ride
    rally pig

nice keep us posted, the MBA M1 with 16GB is tempting as everyday/travel device.
    im ok with single external display for it and for vm, never bothered with vm or bootcamp on my mac, just vnc/rdp to my hosted vm.

i know some ios apps might never make it to bigsur but makes you wonder who will pick the MBA/MBP vs Ipad Pro.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Does anyone watch Dave Lee..? I like the way he reviews.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Well shit. Got a MBA M1 8gb base model. Playing around with it on and off, fast is an understatement. Everything is instant. 4K iMovie project (2 min long video with video and color effects) took 2m 44s to render. Ran the same project on a MacBook Pro i5 16gb, took 7m 8s. Holy fuck haha.

Going to test out multiple users and multiple apps running to see if I can save some money and stick with an 8gb base version.
    That's fucking impressive. And the laptop didn't run hot?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    That's fucking impressive. And the laptop didn't run hot?
    Barely warm.

This is ridiculous. I memory tested the MBA with 8gb. I can't even feel it swap. Running 2 profiles, on mine Google chrome, 20 tabs of google sheets docs and slides, zoom. Switch to kids profile. Roblox, Roblox Studio, Minecraft running. Swap between 2 profiles instantly. 13 y/o stress testing Minecraft on it, he's blown away. Steady 60fps, how's everything loading so fast. He's laughing to himself at how quick this thing is.

Honestly, this feels faster than what the synthetic benchmarks suggests. We're both blown away. I don't even know if I want to keep the MBP M1 16gb. Fucking MBA M1 8gb is doing everything we need and more.

edit, finished the MBP M1 16gb iMovie test.

MBA M1 8gb - 2m 44s
    MBP M1 16gb - 2m 33s
    MBP i5 16gb - 7m 8s

Heat update. MBA is hot on the bottom, warm on the keyboard side. I'm typing this on my i5 MBP and the fan is full tilt driving 2 external monitors and my google chrome shit and running even hotter haha.

edit - above MBA got hot after about 15 mins of Minecraft in the max settings. It throttled but kid didn't notice it at all. Still hovering in the 40-60fps range.

Tried the same on MBP, fan kicked on after around the same time. Continuing on the MBP, got Adobe CS installed, edited some photos in LR Classic, photoshop, zero issues. It's fast even tho it's running Rosetta 2. Installed steam, CS:go that isn't compatible or something. Doesn't run.

People have been complaining about Google Chrome ARM version crashing, no such experience here. Chrome does like to eat CPU tho, it's clearly not efficient at all.

Kid's in his room now stressing out the battery.

My Ride

So no benefit to get the 16gb for day to day stuff?
    I am leaning towards the MBP for the extra nits.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So what I am hearing is MBA comes with free vasectomy?

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So no benefit to get the 16gb for day to day stuff?
    I am leaning towards the MBP for the extra nits.
    I honestly don't think so. I mean if you're doing Logic Pro or Final Cut working simultaneously on >8gb of assets, then maybe?

All I know is this workflow on a 8gb MBP i5 was terribly slow swapping.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Barely warm.

This is ridiculous. I memory tested the MBA with 8gb. I can't even feel it swap. Running 2 profiles, on mine Google chrome, 20 tabs of google sheets docs and slides, zoom. Switch to kids profile. Roblox, Roblox Studio, Minecraft running. Swap between 2 profiles instantly. 13 y/o stress testing Minecraft on it, he's blown away. Steady 60fps, how's everything loading so fast. He's laughing to himself at how quick this thing is.
    Good to hear!
    I'm not a Mac guy, and when I first heard they were going ARM I was skeptical, definitely a ballsy move, but I figured maybe Apple can pull it off.
    I do have a Mac Mini (2011) on my desk at work just to play with, and to convert Numbers files that our clients send us. (got it used for a song) but it's at High Sierra and stuck there.
    Tempting to get a Mac Mini M1 for home, not that I have ANY need for it at all.

Page 141 of 193 FirstFirst ... 131 140 141 142 151 ... LastLast