Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 21 of 193 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Thread

Apple is now replacing the defective 6S phones with the spontaneous shutdown/battery issues:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/21/...-6s-batteries/

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Apple is now replacing the defective 6S phones with the spontaneous shutdown/battery issues:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/21/...-6s-batteries/
    Mine had been randomly shutting off (battery at 25-75%), requires a quick plug in, then battery life shoots back up to what is was prior to shutting off and is fine.

How can you tell when your phone was manufactured?

Are all 6s eligible?

Originally posted by BensonTT
    Are all 6s eligible?
    RTFA - 4th line.

If you're rocking a device that was manufactured between September and October 2015, then you're eligible for a replacement.

Originally posted by 88CRX

How can you tell when your phone was manufactured?
    I don't have one in front of me right now to test but try this:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Originally posted by BensonTT
    Are all 6s eligible?
    Unfortunately not, just Sep-Oct 2015 if I am reading it correctly.

I'm trying to help a coworker set up his new iPhone SE but I am stumped so maybe one of you has seen this before.

Basically the phone is behaving super weird in the initial setup where you pick language, country, etc. No swipes work, only about 1/5 touches even register, and every time you press something it just announces the button rather than registering it. For example when I select "English" the phone draws a box around the selection announces "English, Button". If I select country it announces "Canada, Button". Almost as if it's stuck in some sort of accessibility mode for the visually impaired, but it's extremely lethargic and won't go past the Country selection screen (it lets me pick language, then a 30 second delay or so brings me to the Country screen and it's stuck there). I've done a hard reset, no change. When there's no SIM in it, it announces super loudly that it has no sim every ~10 seconds. I also can't turn it off normally because swipes don't work, but holding the home/power let me turn it off.

Haven't been able to get into iTunes yet (need IT approval to install it and they aren't around) but that is my next step. In the meantime is there anything else I can do? Or do you think it's totally screwed?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

That's a bizarre sounding one, never seen that before. Screenshot?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Seems easiest to just exchange it for another one...
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by rage2
    That's a bizarre sounding one, never seen that before. Screenshot?
    I don't think the screenshot would show anything, it's just the startup screen when you get a new phone. It starts off by saying Hello in different languages, and will only proceed if you press the language and then also hit the home button. Then you're in the country select screen, but can't go farther. The screens look normal otherwise so unfortunately I don't think a screen shot would show anything.

I might see if iTunes can resurrect it with a restore from his current device, otherwise we'll just get our provider to swap it out I guess. Whatever is faster. Only thing I could think of is if it shipped with some sort of accessabiliy mode enabled but it wasn't very accessible haha.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Anyone recommend a place to replace an iPhone screen and buttons? My volume stopped working and the screen is cracked.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Apple.ca

Turns out the phone was stuck in a mode called "voice over mode" where it just announces everything you do. How it got into that mode before it was even taken out of the box is a mystery. Not sure what made it so lethargic and generally unresponsive but we finally got it working.

What do you guys use to play MKV's on your iPads? I see there is a VLC app but what is the easiest way to get the MKVs on the iPad into an easily-browseable folder? Is that even possible these days?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Air Video HD. Does everything you asked.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

What do you guys use to play MKV's on your iPads? I see there is a VLC app but what is the easiest way to get the MKVs on the iPad into an easily-browseable folder? Is that even possible these days?
    What about using a program like handbrake to convert them away from MKV?

My Ride
    rally pig

I use AVPlayer on both my iphone and ipad to watch MKV or AVI videos, convenient when on the road, download any videos without needing to convert them first.

Not interested in converting. If this basic task is going to cause me any hassle, then I won't bother, I'll just find something else. I don't want to use iTunes either if I don't have to.

I will check out Air Video HD but is that streaming only? I wasn't clear in my OP but I am talking more about watching locally stored MKVs on a flight. I want to easily transfer MKVs from a PC to the iPad, and watch them where I don't have WiFi.

I also need the App to handle DD/DTS codecs, which VLC can. AVPlayer doesn't list DTS as a supported format unfortunately.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-09-2016 at 12:38 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Like taemo says, AVPlayerHD should do the trick. I'm not a fan of it because I have to plug it into a desktop to copy files to the iPad. I use Air Video HD is because of streaming @ home, and selecting for offline conversion/download right on the iPad over wifi. Hate plugging shit in. I also convert down the quality a little, there's no visual difference at all in quality on such a small screen anyways and I can get more movies with whatever memory I have left. Converting the files allows the iPad to play it in a native friendly format, which also helps battery life by a huge margin when it comes to playback. Playing native MKV's will easily 1/2 your battery life on a plane so you might want to reconsider conversion.

Stop bringing up iTunes, nobody uses that shit anymore lol.

Originally posted by rage2
    Like taemo says, AVPlayerHD should do the trick. I'm not a fan of it because I have to plug it into a desktop to copy files to the iPad. I use Air Video HD is because of streaming @ home, and selecting for offline conversion/download right on the iPad over wifi. Hate plugging shit in. I also convert down the quality a little, there's no visual difference at all in quality on such a small screen anyways and I can get more movies with whatever memory I have left. Converting the files allows the iPad to play it in a native friendly format, which also helps battery life by a huge margin when it comes to playback. Playing native MKV's will easily 1/2 your battery life on a plane so you might want to reconsider conversion.

Stop bringing up iTunes, nobody uses that shit anymore lol.
    AVPlayer does not list DTS as a supported audio format which means I won't be able to play any of my movies with audio unless I missing something.

I don't mind plugging it into a PC for the file transfer. I just wanted to avoid duplicating all my files just so I could play them on an iPad.

Is battery life really that bad with MKVs even with an app that can read MKVs? I can get 11 hours playback easily out of my other tablet which I use VLC or MX Player to play MKVs and it's dealing with the conversions (both video and audio) as far as I know. Not sure if it's using HW or SW for the conversion, that might be the difference.

If I do convert, can I convert DTS MKV files and will they retain audio?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

AVPlayerHD does play DTS, I don't remember if I've ever tried it, but google searches says it does even though it doesn't list support.

You're duplicating files anyways when you copy them to an iPad. Conversion just makes things more optimized (space, hardware acceleration, etc). All I remember was that battery life tanked playing MKVs directly, this was a while back when I still had some MKVs in my library. I assumed Apple devices were engineered really optimized to play their specific formats through hardware. Not sure if that's changed with the latest iPads or not so YMMV.

Conversion isn't actually done on the iPad. The manager (aka Air Video Server) sits on the desktop and manages files and conversion. It fully retains audio that your PC has codecs for. If the MKV plays back on the desktop, it'll convert fine to your iPad, including DTS. Basically pushes it out as an MP4/AC3 file.

Air Video HD is by far the most seamless and efficient way to watch your movie collection on an iPad.

Page 21 of 193 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast