Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Thread

Originally posted by colinxx235

So the expensive 6 footer or whatever I bought that looks like a rat chewed on it and is cracking up the adapter can get replaced for free... interesting

interesting indeed.... i have a couple that are frayed. will give it a shot next time i'm at market/chinook

Originally posted by rage2
    btw for those with OEM cables that break, Apple store will exchange them for free. No serial # so they can't track when you bought 'em.

I had one that broke open when moving my seat and they just swapped it no questions asked.
    You don't have to make a Genius Bar appointment or anything right? I've got a couple failing OEM ones I want to swap out. I found Amazon Basic lightning cables the best value/quality so far...

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I presume that the lightning cable has seperated pins that do different things. Ie a couple of pins are responsible for charging and some are responsible for audio and others are extra. If that is the case could some vendor make a cable that will charge at the phone while the person is enjoying music/videos?

I guess the docks work this way for playing your iphone through the stereo but Ive never seen a device like this for personal use. I guess we might now though.

On a different note has anyone run into that touchscreen iphone 6 issue where it doesnt respond to touch anymore?
    Last edited by nzwasp; 08-31-2016 at 11:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by jonsey737
    You don't have to make a Genius Bar appointment or anything right? I've got a couple failing OEM ones I want to swap out. I found Amazon Basic lightning cables the best value/quality so far...
    No appointment. I dunno about heavy damage such as bite marks, but mine looked fairly undamaged. YMMV.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is broken

Originally posted by nzwasp
    I presume that the lightning cable has seperated pins that do different things. Ie a couple of pins are responsible for charging and some are responsible for audio and others are extra. If that is the case could some vendor make a cable that will charge at the phone while the person is enjoying music/videos?

I guess the docks work this way for playing your iphone through the stereo but Ive never seen a device like this for personal use. I guess we might now though.

On a different note has anyone run into that touchscreen iphone 6 issue where it doesnt respond to touch anymore?
    Nope. The Lighting connector is way more complicated than the old 30 pin. As far as i know its all high speed data, no analog signal lines. so any Lighting to Headphone adapter would need to include a DAC.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

By more complicated do you mean less complicated?

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

4 data channels for lightning, that's it. The 30 pin had tons of analog pins for audio and video:

click for larger version
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Well the current iPhone lightning universal docks have a headphone port on the back and let you charge the phones. So yea, pretty sure someone will be able to make a combo charging-3.5mm adapter...

click for larger version
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by killramos
    Personally I'm pretty pissed off my iPhone doesn't come with a compactflash card slot.
    Cloud storage has pretty much fixed all that for me. The biggest storage consumers have been movies, music and photos/videos. Movies are streamable wherever I go, Apple Music has given me pretty much unlimited access to 95% of the music out there in the world, and iCloud storage has all my photos and videos I've ever shot right at my fingertips.

Really, the only exception is on flights with no data, where I have to pre-download what I want for the flight.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

That's the only thing i hate about using a corporate phone, very limited data usage. Used to live and die by my rogers 6GB 30 per month plan.

but then i look at what data plans cost these days and get over it.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    is broken

I meant complicated in the design of any gadgets. You cant just grab pins 2(GND),3 (R+),4(L+) for audio. Throw in a resistor and call it done. The digital only design means you need a DAC and a verification chip for the lighting device to give you what you want. Physically yes they are much simpler.

Its just going to be an expensive adapter cable is all I was getting at.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Well, wifi is everywhere. I rarely do any of that stuff over LTE. I barely go over 1gb a month with my usage because I'm on wifi everywhere except driving. I do have the advantage of having access to Shaw as well as Telus hotspots, which is nice.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by rage2
    Well, wifi is everywhere. I rarely do any of that stuff over LTE. I barely go over 1gb a month with my usage because I'm on wifi everywhere except driving. I do have the advantage of having access to Shaw as well as Telus hotspots, which is nice.
    It would honestly be fine if i could stream at work, but corporate wifi is about as stingy as corporate cellular.

I got on the shitlist a few times for using a live ticker from bloomberg to keep an eye on commodity prices. Which is part of my job .

but apparently sitting on beyond all day is fine, doesn't use much data i guess

Back on the topic of 3.5mm headphones, since i got a bluetooth set last year the only time i have ever used the 3.5mm jack is when i get yelled at for using bluetooth on an airplane. Usually takes them a couple hours to notice.

fact.

Originally posted by killramos

Back on the topic of 3.5mm headphones, since i got a bluetooth set last year the only time i have ever used the 3.5mm jack is when i get yelled at for using bluetooth on an airplane. Usually takes them a couple hours to notice.
    I picked up a set of bluetooth for jogging, and find the sound quality noticeably downgraded from all other earbuds i've owned (just as bluetooth in car vs aux). Maybe I should shop around again, since it seems the market is now much broader

I'm not looking forward to having to deal with an adapter, when I already have the inconvenience of the module on the noise cancelling I use when traveling. Has anyone tested the new bluetooth Bose noise cancelling?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

For in car I am 100% on the USB bandwagon. Sounds much better than Bluetooth or aux. Bluetooth is definitely good enough for when I don't want to bother taking my phone out of my pocket though.

That's the stupid thing, 3.5mm isn't even that great for quality.

fact.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

3.5mm will come down to the DAC in the device you are using and can vary... Keeping it digital relies on how well the stereo can convert. My Yamaha receiver is pretty good, so I can actually hear the difference in sample rate even.

In the car I have a lightening to 30-pin to fm (hardwired) and the ML stereo in the Lexus is old enough that I don't notice any increase or decrease. Same with the truck, usb sync vs BT sync, no real difference

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by NoSup4U
    I picked up a set of bluetooth for jogging, and find the sound quality noticeably downgraded from all other earbuds i've owned (just as bluetooth in car vs aux). Maybe I should shop around again, since it seems the market is now much broader
    If you care about sound quality, make sure you get Bluetooth headphones that support AAC over BT, as that's what the newer iPhones support. If it doesn't, it'll use SBC and shit quality.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

B&O H5, been using them for a couple weeks now from playing hockey to making tons of phone calls on them. Comfy and does not slide out.

Went from Westone UM3XRC to these.... never looking back to corded.

24 hours later and I've flipped back to buying the biggest screen iPhone 7 with 64GB. Not with the white front this time. As I use it as a GPS, bigger is better.

Rage made some solid points and might have jinxed me in the process as there is a 100% chance of my phone going into the drink now.

Might switch over to Bell from the current Telus. Any reason to stay with Telus over Bell?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I use Bell on my phone and Telus on my tablet. Reception is identical as they share towers. Advantage of Telus is you can limit data usage (well, min $50 overage) and access to Telus hotspots. No clue about price.

My work phone is telus. The customer service and plans are shit, but the cellular signal service is good. Still prefer Fido for personal, though now that Fido dollars are gone I am less tied to them.

Page 3 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast