Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 44 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 44 of 193 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $700 that is ridiculous. I also didn't know the 8 would be almost as much. Apple care definitely worth it on that one! If it wasn't a work phone I'd buy it haha.
    The price is for "anything else" replacement, where they just give you a new phone. This is because the back glass isn't field replaceable, it falls under that category which sucks because it's the same price as say, dropping a phone in a firepit and burnt to shit . Since the 7 wasn't glass, this wasn't a problem because the worst damage to the back was scuffs and dents and you wouldn't bother. The price for the "anything else" replacement was pretty high there too at $409 and $449 for the 7 and 7 Plus.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

https://www.istocknow.com/live/#devi...3750002&zoom=5

Live tracking of iPhone stock on a map haha. I'm surprised it isn't legit 100% sold out in the states.

btw what is the implication of "sim free" as far as apple is concerned? If you are buying it outright from the apple store isn't that "sim free", but it says those are all unavailable. I don't get it.

Just curious for my own sake, I moved to a discount provider that doesn't provide hardware subsidies so I figure the only way I can upgrade is these "sim free" situations.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    https://www.istocknow.com/live/#devi...3750002&zoom=5

Live tracking of iPhone stock on a map haha. I'm surprised it isn't legit 100% sold out in the states.

btw what is the implication of "sim free" as far as apple is concerned? If you are buying it outright from the apple store isn't that "sim free", but it says those are all unavailable. I don't get it.

Just curious for my own sake, I moved to a discount provider that doesn't provide hardware subsidies so I figure the only way I can upgrade is these "sim free" situations.
    Apparently unlocked phones in the US are not common.

By default, all iPhones are factory shipped unlocked.

Up here, you can just buy a phone at the Apple store, it's unlocked and that's that.

In the States, you have to purchase with a carrier or put onto existing plan apparently. So they lock them at the store.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Apparently unlocked phones in the US are not common.

By default, all iPhones are factory shipped unlocked.

Up here, you can just buy a phone at the Apple store, it's unlocked and that's that.

In the States, you have to purchase with a carrier or put onto existing plan apparently. So they lock them at the store.
    Canada was like this when iPhones first came out IIRC. You had the option of buying unlocked at full price, or contract phone via Rogers and Telus at contract prices. Not sure why they got rid of that here.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Canada was like this when iPhones first came out IIRC. You had the option of buying unlocked at full price, or contract phone via Rogers and Telus at contract prices. Not sure why they got rid of that here.
    You still can, can't you?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    You still can, can't you?
    It used to be on the website, it's not there anymore, zero contract prices shown, so I'm assuming you can't?

You probably still can. When I bought a 5S ages ago at the Apple Store I was still under contract with Rogers, so they looked up my info and transferred everything over. Took a really long time though.

They probably don't show prices on the website because plans change so much these days.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

It used to be on the website, it's not there anymore, zero contract prices shown, so I'm assuming you can't?
    You can still do it, my contract was up so I purchased a X on contract through Telus at BestBuy. Works out to the exact same overall cost after 2 years and the phone is unlocked and not carrier specific in any way.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    You can still do it, my contract was up so I purchased a X on contract through Telus at BestBuy. Works out to the exact same overall cost after 2 years and the phone is unlocked and not carrier specific in any way.
    Did you have to reserve yours on Best Buy? I think they only do same day reservation for 24 hours?
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Isn't there new legislation that requires carriers to unlock for free, and prohibits selling locked phones effective Dec 1?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Plus BestBuy give you 0% interest on the phone as well. So that $600-$800 up front cost can be divided up to 24 equal payments. Not sure what the catch is.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Sorry, I was talking specifically about the Apple Store. I knew BB does that.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by jampack View Post
    Did you have to reserve yours on Best Buy? I think they only do same day reservation for 24 hours?
    Just stumbled across them in stock, reserved and picked up later that day. Looks like a few stores in town still have them available.

Yup Apple always sends out unreserved phones to their stores. Gives people a chance.

What a lot of people don't know though is that they get a large shipment, but it releases only a few every few hours. So if you wait around you have a good chance of getting what you want.

Just stumbled across them in stock, reserved and picked up later that day. Looks like a few stores in town still have them available.
    I just got mine today from Beacon telus and they had a bunch.

My Ride
    an econo box

Sorry, I was talking specifically about the Apple Store. I knew BB does that.
    When I bought my iPhone 8 on launch day there were carrier reps inside the Apple store. When I got in the (short) line for the iPhone 8 the Apple store employee managing the line and taking our info was asking people if they were buying unlocked or a through a carrier. This was at the Chinook Apple store.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Apple care pisses me off. You pay to have it, then you still pay (albeit a reduced price) to have your phone repaired or replaced. Like a deductible. Such a racket.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    Apple care pisses me off. You pay to have it, then you still pay (albeit a reduced price) to have your phone repaired or replaced. Like a deductible. Such a racket.
    Imagine saying that in an Apple store. Everyone around you would faint

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    Have to look at the total overall costs, breaking it out to core price + deductible is OK if in the end you pay less. That really wasn't the case with AppleCare for the most part until the X, you'd have to be pretty fucking clumsy to make AppleCare worth it in the long run.

On the X, totally different ballgame because of the retarded costs of repair.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So does anyone find dxomark to be absolutely useless nowadays? It's not like they've been around long, their early benchmarks were half decent, but now it's a mess. They ranked the X as the best still camera phone, but the sample pics, especially in low light settings, the Pixel 2 absolutely crushes the X.

Here's their iPhone X rankings: https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone...former-stills/

Going section by section:

1. Exposure and Contrast - iPhone X wins visually, but loses on score.
    2. Color - Hard to judge this one without knowing how the scene looks IRL.
    3. Autofocus - Will take their word on their tests.
    4. Texture - Pixel wins easily, score correct here.
    5. Noise - Hands down Pixel wins especially low light, but iPhone X with better score? WTF
    6. Artifacts - Can't tell, totally different scenes.
    7. Flash - Ok the picture sample is horrible, way worse than Pixel 2, but scores are close. The comparison to 8 is interesting, X looks super dark, but still beats 8's score?
    8/9. Zoom and Bokeh - Decent accurate, iPhone X should win with zoom thanks to Zoom lens (and it does), hard to tell with Bokeh without full crop samples of bleeding around edges like hair.

Based on this, the Pixel 2 samples mostly beat the iPhone X in image quality, but X wins out in score.

Then there's video, where they cap testing at 1080p/30? No sample pics to compare either so no clue what's going on there. The X's 4K/60fps is just stunning in terms of image quality yet it's ignored. All the Pixel 2 4K videos I've seen, it's barely above 1080p in terms of detail sharpness (to be fair, it's all youtube and vimeo which can reduce quality) but the image stabilization on the X (well, even the 7) was way better than any Pixel 2 video I've seen especially when walking, yet DXOMark gave the stabilization win to Pixel 2.

Pretty messed up.

Page 44 of 193 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 54 ... LastLast