Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 59 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 59 of 193 FirstFirst ... 49 58 59 60 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 3848

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

So like Mitsu my iPad Pro, isn't charging very well on the stock 10w charger.

I'm looking at the Mac chargers, and see they have a couple other USB‑C Power Adapters; 61W ($89.00 ) & 87W ($99.00) Will those two burn out the battery faster?
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So like Mitsu my iPad Pro, isn't charging very well on the stock 10w charger.

I'm looking at the Mac chargers, and see they have a couple other USB‑C Power Adapters; 61W ($89.00 ) & 87W ($99.00) Will those two burn out the battery faster?
    Yes, lithium batteries are damaged or degraded more quickly by things like:

- Heat (faster the charge the more heat is generated)
    - Leaving it on the charger for super long periods of time
    - Discharging it to zero, especially for a long time

But, unless you keep your iPad for a super long time, fast charging it isn't going to have any significant negative effects. Mobile device batteries aren't designed for longevity anyway. The iPad Pros won't charge at 87W, they max out at 29W. You also need to buy a USB-C to Lightning cable to take advantage of that.

If you want faster charging, I'd suggest buying something like this and it will be faster than the stock 10W but not as fast as 29W:

https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Charger-...=aukey+charger

It cuts the 5-6hr charge time down to 2.5-3 or so.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Yes, lithium batteries are damaged or degraded more quickly by things like:

- Heat (faster the charge the more heat is generated)
    - Leaving it on the charger for super long periods of time
    - Discharging it to zero, especially for a long time

But, unless you keep your iPad for a super long time, fast charging it isn't going to have any significant negative effects. Mobile device batteries aren't designed for longevity anyway. The iPad Pros won't charge at 87W, they max out at 29W. You also need to buy a USB-C to Lightning cable to take advantage of that.

If you want faster charging, I'd suggest buying something like this and it will be faster than the stock 10W but not as fast as 29W:

https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Charger-...=aukey+charger

It cuts the 5-6hr charge time down to 2.5-3 or so.
    Thanks! Bought two

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you guys are taking more than 3 hours to charge your iPad Pro with the out of box 12W charger, that charger is faulty or something. Unless you guys are talking about the bigger 12.1" iPad Pro.

The 12W charger that comes with the iPad Pro will do a full charge from dead in about 3 hours. The AuKey charger is a 2.4A 5V charger, aka 12W, which is the same as what comes with the iPad Pro so it should take exactly the same time. The 29W USB-C charger with the lightning cable is the only way to charge faster than what's out of the box.

These numbers are for the smaller 10.5" iPad Pro. I expect the 12.1" model to take a lot longer as it has a much larger battery.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Then my OEM charger is defective, because it charges way faster with the Aukey charger. Many people on forums report the same slow charging with the OEM charger, as well as losing charge while using the iPad while plugged in with the OEM charger. There are YouTube videos as well showing 4+hr charge times.

I can't find anyone who can charge it faster than ~4 hours, so there must be a lot of defective OEM chargers out there if what you're saying is true. If you use it a bit inbetween, that can jump to 5-6hr.

It's the 10.5 Pro.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Then my OEM charger is defective, because it charges way faster with the Aukey charger. Many people on forums report the same slow charging with the OEM charger, as well as losing charge while using the iPad while plugged in with the OEM charger. There are YouTube videos as well showing 4+hr charge times.

I can't find anyone who can charge it faster than ~4 hours, so there must be a lot of defective OEM chargers out there if what you're saying is true. If you use it a bit inbetween, that can jump to 5-6hr.

It's the 10.5 Pro.
    Most of the reviews talk about 4-5hrs for the 12.9” model. This was the first one I found that tested the 10.5”. They went from 0-100% in 3.5 hours on the 12W charger.

My 10.5” was at 5% when I woke up this morning. Plugged into the 12W and after 2 hours 45 mins it’s at 98%.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Most of the reviews talk about 4-5hrs for the 12.9” model. This was the first one I found that tested the 10.5”. They went from 0-100% in 3.5 hours on the 12W charger.

My 10.5” was at 5% when I woke up this morning. Plugged into the 12W and after 2 hours 45 mins it’s at 98%.
    Some defective chargers out there then I guess Mine definitely does not charge that fast and neither does Cam's by the sounds of it. Charge time is a pretty common complaint on the Apple/Mac forums.

Here's a couple videos (claiming) 3.7-4+ hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-KKoUGFRpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpZR999gxI8

Someone in this thread is claiming ~5 hours:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-time.2051412/

I don't know what to tell you, the stock charger I got is way slower than the $10 Amazon units with supposedly the same output. If you are getting under 3 hours that is WAY faster than anything I have ever seen and also faster than every review I have ever seen.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I’m draining my iPad right now to 0 to run another test. Will be happy to trade your charger to check to see if it’s bad for you as well. I mean it should still be under warranty if it is indeed faulty.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

I’m draining my iPad right now to 0 to run another test. Will be happy to trade your charger to check to see if it’s bad for you as well. I mean it should still be under warranty if it is indeed faulty.
    I'll do the same.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I started charging at 12:23pm. Took 1 min of charging before it started powering up where it showed 3% after boot. Have a timer for 2h45m and will start logging charge updates at 3:08pm. Not doing anything special. LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth all on.

Edit - 2 hours in. Was trying not to use it but had to use it for a 30m webex call earlier.

Name:  94D33552-1B16-4BA7-82BC-3CA2A633094E.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  53.2 KB

2:45 in:

Name:  533F36A7-EA0E-4A91-B490-9A02A9212E94.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  55.5 KB

3h in. Looks like it’s slowing down to trickle charge now.

Name:  5CAD94A2-361A-4F17-9BE4-FBEFBE6EC984.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  54.7 KB

3:15

Name:  87DF1A90-F263-49D8-9A65-4E0678C5F225.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  56.5 KB

3:30

Name:  01F12C1F-A75A-42E1-8C9C-1825A1A22574.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  57.5 KB

Gotta run, but ya, estimated 3:45 from 0-100% with light usage. Probably cut 15mins if I didn’t have to use the thing today.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Took mine just over 4 hours. I have full AppleCare for another month or so.

hmm.

Edit. 12 months remaining.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

With it slowly trickle charging at 80% there’s really no point in going over that unless you’re going on a flight. Pretty quick to juice back up to 80. I have a USB-C battery bank so even on the road I’m charging 2.5x faster haha.

Weird that yours charges so much faster than ours and also every review. Is there a way to see the total available battery capacity in mAh? Only thing I can think of is maybe since ours are newer or perhaps less used, the batteries have a higher available capacity. Other than that I don't know. It's not really a big deal either way because I have half a dozen chargers in the house that can charge it much faster than the OEM.

If the new Pro's this fall stay Lightning and don't go to USB-C I will probably just get these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Delivery...ds=30w+charger

https://www.amazon.ca/Lightning-Deli...ightning&psc=1
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-19-2018 at 09:06 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Based on latest rumors, the new iPhones and iPad Pros are getting bundled with a USB-C fast charger. My iPad Pro isn't that old, maybe 9 months?

USB-C PD is the shit. It's all I ever use to charge, except overnight charges where I use the 12W to preserve battery life. I've even upgraded my portable battery bank with PD to fast charge when travelling. Shit's amazing.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Ride
    M3P

Based on latest rumors, the new iPhones and iPad Pros are getting bundled with a USB-C fast charger. My iPad Pro isn't that old, maybe 9 months?

USB-C PD is the shit. It's all I ever use to charge, except overnight charges where I use the 12W to preserve battery life. I've even upgraded my portable battery bank with PD to fast charge when travelling. Shit's amazing.

I have the same battery bank but I lost the USB C cord it came with - what would you suggest is best for fast charging?

I've been reading both - some say that they will come with it, and others say that it will be a separate accessory. Knowing Apple it'll probably be separate, but maybe they will surprise us.

It would be awesome if they went USB-C though, having to only use one cable type between all of my mobile devices would be amazing. I've looked at that exact battery pack before and it's too big for my tastes, but I think the USB-C hardware takes up a lot of room based on the size of even the the single port wall chargers.

I really really really hope the new Pro's don't have a notch. If they don't I will probably buy the rumored 11" model sight unseen.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

To be fair, lightning isn’t going anywhere. The other end of the cable might be USB C though and the wall wart might be C.

But let’s be real, plugging in devices is so 2001. The only thing I ever plug my phone into is the car for CarPlay and even that is moving out the door soon enough.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    I have the same battery bank but I lost the USB C cord it came with - what would you suggest is best for fast charging?
    That's just USB-C to USB-C cable for charging the battery (or Android phones). Apple charging needs USB-C to lightning.

It would be awesome if they went USB-C though, having to only use one cable type between all of my mobile devices would be amazing. I've looked at that exact battery pack before and it's too big for my tastes, but I think the USB-C hardware takes up a lot of room based on the size of even the the single port wall chargers.
    It'll be USB-C to lightning haha. Too much money to be made with lightning certification program. I like lightning (aside from cost). Easier to plug in and out of in the dark/without looking.

That battery pack is so big because they maxed it out for capacity based on FAA rules for travel safety. Wall chargers are big because of high wattage AC to DC conversion.

My Ride
    M3P

That's just USB-C to USB-C cable for charging the battery (or Android phones). Apple charging needs USB-C to lightning.
    I was just reading online that these cords only fast charge Iphone 8 and up - I have an Iphone 7 plus.

Is there any fast charging cord for the power bank itself? Takes forever - I'll cop a USB-C to lightning now
    Last edited by hurrdurr; 07-19-2018 at 10:35 AM.

It'll be USB-C to lightning haha. Too much money to be made with lightning certification program. I like lightning (aside from cost). Easier to plug in and out of in the dark/without looking.

That battery pack is so big because they maxed it out for capacity based on FAA rules for travel safety. Wall chargers are big because of high wattage AC to DC conversion.
    I don't mind lightning either other than the fact that I need 2-3 cable types all the time because I am a device whore. Also the OEM Apple cables are too flimsy but I replaced them all with Anker Powerlines.

What is the voltage on that power block? Even at 5V aren't you over the 100Wh limit?

I was thinking of picking this up so I can create a charging station for both USB A and C:

https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Premium-...=usb+c+charger

Also with the extension cable I can mount it to the back of a table or something.

Page 59 of 193 FirstFirst ... 49 58 59 60 69 ... LastLast