Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 71 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 71 of 193 FirstFirst ... 61 70 71 72 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 3846

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    Exploded.

@sabad66 I bought a wireless charger from Amazon. Works great for <$10. Just don't get the illuminating one or else it'll be blue when you trying to sleep haha

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting. Mine sees that camera, and no ads at all, nor any visible restaurants.
    What about McDonalds? That seems to be the main one. Giant golden arches on the screen every time and some other little symbol I can't make out.

This morning Waze gave me an ETA of 8:14 and I arrived 8:26 - absolutely brutal haha. It added 50% to my commute time. I'm usually not more than 2 minutes off the ETA. Maybe people just false report a lot of stuff? I'll try it another day or two but so far it's not looking good! It seems so good in theory with tracking/crowd sourcing though. The red light camera warning is handy but it doesn't tell you which are speed cameras, and the city already puts up enormous signs warning about the cameras that are more noticeable than a pop-up on the screen.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-27-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    I am using a Logi from Logitech. It is not the cheapest but I am extremely happy with it.
    https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...stand?fnode=97
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    Anker from Amazon. Charges even through the case AND a pair of Thinoptics glasses.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. Mine sees that camera, and no ads at all, nor any visible restaurants.
    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    @sabad66 I bought a wireless charger from Amazon. Works great for <$10. Just don't get the illuminating one or else it'll be blue when you trying to sleep haha
    cool thanks for the tips, i'll check these out.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

ermergerd.

My iPhone 8, has 34gb of "System data".

How in the heck do I reduce that?
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    ermergerd.

My iPhone 8, has 34gb of "System data".

How in the heck do I reduce that?
    System data is data that is core or data that has not been erased. To prevent wear on the memory when you delete an app the app just goes to system (same with movies, songs, pictures etc) and will only format or erase it if nessessary.

If you sync with I tunes it will trigger an erase in some cases so that’s one way to reduce it but if you have lots of space remaining it won’t bother. If you run betas or health data do the iTunes sync and it should get better.

If you have more then 30% space remaining don’t worry, iOS will format that space when it’s needed.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Normally that System Data is ~10-15gb, of my 256gb, and I'd have 20+ gb remaining.

At 34gb, the drive is full. Any other suggestions?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    System data is data that is core or data that has not been erased. To prevent wear on the memory when you delete an app the app just goes to system (same with movies, songs, pictures etc) and will only format or erase it if nessessary.
    What? That's not at all what System Data is. It's caches, logs and other stuff used by apps and stored for diagnostics purposes. If you're running beta apps and OS, that gets way worse. There is no way to clean that data unfortunately, short of deleting the specific app and hope it cleans up the logs and caches properly. Backup and restore also nukes System Data, but that's extreme.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    What? That's not at all what System Data is. It's caches, logs and other stuff used by apps and stored for diagnostics purposes. If you're running beta apps and OS, that gets way worse. There is no way to clean that data unfortunately, short of deleting the specific app and hope it cleans up the logs and caches properly. Backup and restore also nukes System Data, but that's extreme.
    What you listed is core data which is what I said. I guess I could have listed caches, gps data, diagnostics, app data, health data, keychain, iCloud files, core system apps and their data, iOS OS, and on and on and on but sometimes it’s better to get to the point. And yes, system data contains data that is moved not erased (source: im a consultant and deal with developers and app development for companies regularly).

If you want to give it a try delete a few movies and watch your system data grow around the same size as those movies, or try the same with a large app. Here is a Forum’s post where a user explains it as well.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...2059087/page-7 Check post 158 and on.

Connecting to iTunes will download diagnostics and health data as well as gps and several others so it will clear up some space. It will also trigger a format if you are lower then apples set threshold on the system space that contains recently deleted files, apps, pictures etc.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Normally that System Data is ~10-15gb, of my 256gb, and I'd have 20+ gb remaining.

At 34gb, the drive is full. Any other suggestions?

Do you have optimize storage on? Where is most of your space ? If it’s photos and videos iOS will adjust but music and files it does not. If your files are iCloud synced you can delete the files app then reinstall and that will flush all the caches iCloud synced files. Beyond that rage is right a restore will remove diagnostics, cache and format unused space but can be daunting if you have a bunch of music or large files.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Yep, most of my data is in iCloud.
    Apparently 30gb is the new normal for me then. I did a format and re-install, and that reduced it a few Gb, but nothing substantial.

I should probably get one of the new 512's lol.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I have over 400GB in iCloud. I have a 256GB XS and it is barely half full. My X never went over half either. iCloud should manage your storage pretty good. 512 is nuts. I'd only get that if I were to go off Wifi for long periods.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Yep, most of my data is in iCloud.
    Apparently 30gb is the new normal for me then. I did a format and re-install, and that reduced it a few Gb, but nothing substantial.

I should probably get one of the new 512's lol.
    Oddly enough I just checked this out and iOS 12 does instant corrections now so it clears the dead space. My iPad has 3.8gb system (was 33gb until I left iPad storage open for about 10 seconds) and it shifted that data to videos. My iPhone XS did similar as it was 22gb and adjusted to 10.25gb.

I normally buy 128gb phones but haven’t ever gone over 40gb used as I only put playlists on my phone not my whole music library. Guess I’m one of the peoples that can get by with the lower end storage.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have never gotten the appeal of the super high capacity phones.

Back when the base was 16? Sure I get it. But anything over 32 is absolutely tons of space. My X has 64 and might as well be unlimited for all I know.

And I don’t even use icloud
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I have never gotten the appeal of the super high capacity phones.

Back when the base was 16? Sure I get it. But anything over 32 is absolutely tons of space. My X has 64 and might as well be unlimited for all I know.

And I don’t even use icloud
    Music.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Music.
    I don't need it for music with Apple Music. I need it for Movies for travelling. Since Apple refuses to to allow memory expansion with micro SD, you have no choice but to buy a bigger phone.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I need it for filming on vacation away from WiFi.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea my Apple Music cache is maybe 8GB. Aside from that it’s all streamed.

Found 4gb if cached Netflix shows I forgot about, I could literally keep seasons on this thing...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Yea my Apple Music cache is maybe 8GB. Aside from that it’s all streamed.

Found 4gb if cached Netflix shows I forgot about, I could literally keep seasons on this thing...
    Netflix download shows aren't big, even in high quality. A full 1 hour show (not the usual 42mins) is only around ~650MB. They compress them a lot. Both full seasons of Ozark I think was only around 13GB total - it would take a lot to fill up even a 64gb or 128gb device.

I have a 256GB iPad and I use it to back up 46MP DSLR RAW files, hours of 100Mbps 4K drone footage, lots of movies/shows on AirVideo HD and lots of shows downloaded to Netflix. I have never filled it. I can't imagine needing 512GB+ unless you just preferred to always have everything locally and never offload it.

For me it's two things to have a bigger capacity phone:
    1. Picture/vid library that i've kept since iphone 3g (about 60GB). yes i know there is a feature to offload full res in icloud and only download as needed, but it annoys me when i look at on old picture and takes a few seconds to render. not to mention wastes data. Live photos also make all pictures way bigger in size than before
    2. Music collection (about 30GB). these days i stream with spotify, but i like to have my old music collection including obscure songs + long sets/mixes

with my 128GB iphone 7, i was getting close to full so it was a no brainer to go with a 256GB on the X. In fact i don't think they even made a 128 so would not have been able to get a 64 without doing a bunch of cleanup.

512 def seems like overkill but i'm sure there are some people out there that need it. might be something i need in a few years being the "digital hoarder" that i am.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    For me it's two things to have a bigger capacity phone:
    1. Picture/vid library that i've kept since iphone 3g (about 60GB). yes i know there is a feature to offload full res in icloud and only download as needed, but it annoys me when i look at on old picture and takes a few seconds to render. not to mention wastes data. Live photos also make all pictures way bigger in size than before
    2. Music collection (about 30GB). these days i stream with spotify, but i like to have my old music collection including obscure songs + long sets/mixes
    1. iCloud Photos caches high resolution (not full resolution) versions of photos for viewing. It's only when you want to edit the photo does it download anything. Not sure about Live Photos if it downloads first, videos do though at a lower bitrate, and only full downloads when editing/using in something like iMovie.
    2. Not sure if Spotify allows it, with Apple Music you can upload your entire collection which is accessible through Apple Music. It's included as part of the monthly fee.

Page 71 of 193 FirstFirst ... 61 70 71 72 81 ... LastLast