Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 76 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 76 of 193 FirstFirst ... 66 75 76 77 86 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 3846

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

AirDrop works great. I use it to transfer videos between devices to my iPad while on vacation so I can do video editing on the iPad. It negotiates using Bluetooth, and transfers through a dedicated wifi channel.

It also works seamlessly with iCloud Photo library. Typically at home, I would take videos with phone and they'll show up in the cloud if I'm on wifi and on all other devices for editing. On vacation, there's a lot of times where there's either no or shitty wifi upstream, so things aren't uploaded to iCloud photo library for that workflow. I simply airdrop between devices. iCloud Photo library is smart enough to recognize the same file on both devices, and only uploads 1 of them, so no dupes.

Just a random tidbit there for ya if you ever want to actually leverage iCloud Photo Library. It's made my workflows so much simplier TBH.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AirDrop works great. I use it to transfer videos between devices to my iPad while on vacation so I can do video editing on the iPad. It negotiates using Bluetooth, and transfers through a dedicated wifi channel.

It also works seamlessly with iCloud Photo library. Typically at home, I would take videos with phone and they'll show up in the cloud if I'm on wifi and on all other devices for editing. On vacation, there's a lot of times where there's either no or shitty wifi upstream, so things aren't uploaded to iCloud photo library for that workflow. I simply airdrop between devices. iCloud Photo library is smart enough to recognize the same file on both devices, and only uploads 1 of them, so no dupes.

Just a random tidbit there for ya if you ever want to actually leverage iCloud Photo Library. It's made my workflows so much simplier TBH.
    Awesome, thanks. I think I can just AirDrop what I need between the two iPads and I will leave all the Cloud options on for now too. I will try that tonight.

I also think my iCloud Backup is complete - it says the last successful backup was April 2018 though, which is really strange, not to mention impossible because until yesterday I have never had enough storage for a backup (something the iPad reminds me about regularly). If I log into iCloud on my PC I am pretty sure everything is there, at least just looking at the photos/videos that I as expecting. If I try to force another Backup, the "estimated time remaining" just slowly climbs.

Pretty cool keyboard for new iPad Pros, makes it a bit more usable with the unlimited screen angles.

https://www.brydge.com/pages/2018-ip...-interest-form
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    Pretty cool keyboard for new iPad Pros, makes it a bit more usable with the unlimited screen angles.

https://www.brydge.com/pages/2018-ip...-interest-form
    Haha that's kind of neat, looks like a Mac.

I played with the iPad Keyboard Folio yesterday for a long time and just am not a fan - I think I am just too used to normal keyboards and $269 is nuts. The one you posted looks much better.

The new pencil is great too. Also grossly overpriced, but really nice. The square edge makes it a lot nicer to hold and it attaches to the side of the new iPad very securely with the magnets.

There are lots of identical copies of Apple's $120-140 Smart Folio cases on Amazon already if anyone needs one. $20 and as far as I can tell there is no difference in build quality. I also grabbed a USB-C to USB-A 3.0 dongle for $10, hopefully it can run my card reader without aux. power - I suspect it will since it can charge other devices through the USB-C port.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I grabbed the full meal deal. Just a hair over $2K with 256 LTE, AC+, pencil and keyboard.

The keys on the keyboard are too loud. That’s my only real complaint.

Also weird to get used to holding “shift” when I want a capital because I am so used to the screen keyboard where it holds it for you.

Since the office is full O365, I am going to try and work on only the iPad for the next week. We will see how it goes.

Now I just have to figure out which note taking app I want. All the reviewers online seem to buy them all. The App Store really needs a try before you buy that isn’t a “free” app or in app purchase. I hate getting nickel and dimmed.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

O365 is surprisingly good on the iPad Pro.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Now I just have to figure out which note taking app I want. All the reviewers online seem to buy them all. The App Store really needs a try before you buy that isn’t a “free” app or in app purchase. I hate getting nickel and dimmed.
    I have used notability and good notes. Good notes is my preferred one. I believe that Onenote is supposed to be pretty good also on the ipad if you can access your work files on there.

Do you want to type your notes or write them with the pencil and have them converted to text?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Do you want to type your notes or write them with the pencil and have them converted to text?
    both. Also want to scan whiteboards with the camera and make them PDFs or put them in reference documents.

The keyboard is pretty slick. But the keys are super light touch and I feel like I am slamming them all the time! Haha.

both. Also want to scan whiteboards with the camera and make them PDFs or put them in reference documents.

The keyboard is pretty slick. But the keys are super light touch and I feel like I am slamming them all the time! Haha.

You've probably already looked into a few already, but it sounds like Notability will do everything you want. You can also insert images into your notes and convert to PDF. You can also search your hand written notes and it will identify words. You can work on more than one note at once, you can mark up PDFs, draw on images, etc. It got a big update back in May that added the handwriting recognition/conversion and I think it can do everything you are asking now.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/nota...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Thanks. Downloading now. I have a 6 hour flight ahead of me to try it out on.

Thanks. Downloading now. I have a 6 hour flight ahead of me to try it out on.
    Hope you like it There are tons of YouTube videos on it to get you started.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you already have O365, just use OneNote. You're cheap enough to figure out how to make it do everything you need haha.

OneNote can do it all, and free with O365. It might even be free without o365. If your company uses O365 for business, you can save your notes in onedrive and it will sync automatically with ONnenote on your computer.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    OneNote can do it all, and free with O365. It might even be free without o365. If your company uses O365 for business, you can save your notes in onedrive and it will sync automatically with ONnenote on your computer.
    That's literally why I use OneNote for work stuff, and what makes office very usable on iOS.

iOS may not support external drives, but their support for Google and Microsoft cloud drives are top notch.

Finally got the new iPad all set up. Threw a tempered glass screen protector on it (brand I’ve used before) and it registered about every 10th touch. At first I thought I had a defective iPad but thankfully I just got a bad screen protector I guess. Looks like the iPad might be really sensitive to screen protectors as I’ve never experienced that before on any device and have since read a few amazon reviews of people claiming to have gone through 3 or 4 brands already.

iCloud did a full restore including 90GB of my LumaFusion projects in about 40 minutes which I thought was quite reasonable. Everything is exactly as I left it.

Is there any way to get Face ID to unlock right to the home screen? I don’t like having to swipe up every time as having to do so makes the whole process take longer than the old fingerprint button. I trained it without my glasses and it still recognizes me with my glasses - I assume this is because it’s smart, not because it’s sloppy haha.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Glasses on or off, doesn't matter. I trained with it on and it works without.

You have to swipe up. The second generation face ID is so fast that it should open with the swipe. My iPhone X sometimes had a delay. But the iPad pro and my XS seem to be at least twice as fast as the X. you get used to the swipe action.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Interesting thing about glasses, I tried a pair of dark sunglasses with eyes closed, won’t unlock until I opened my eyes. That faceid camera must be able to penetrate sunglasses. Pretty impressive.

Unlock to home screen would be nice. It does that on my Surface Pro, but I don’t use notifications on the lock screen. Sometimes I just want to look at the notifications on lock screen, so can’t see how it can differentiate. Maybe facial gestures in the future and we all look like idiots.

Glasses on or off, doesn't matter. I trained with it on and it works without.

You have to swipe up. The second generation face ID is so fast that it should open with the swipe. My iPhone X sometimes had a delay. But the iPad pro and my XS seem to be at least twice as fast as the X. you get used to the swipe action.
    Oh ok. It’s a bit better if I just swipe at the same time you’re right. The Face ID is fast. Power button on the top right + Face ID + swipe up just seems like so much more than one press on the home button but I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

Is there a way to get rid of the app slider at the bottom of the screen? It wastes unnecessary real estate when a 4 finger swipe does exactly the same thing. I was looking in the gesture menus but haven’t seen anything yet.

Also on some apps there is a double thick black bar at the top where the date, time, battery percentage etc. are displayed. Did I accidentally enable something or is this just the apps still thinking I’m on the 10.5. In landscape there is about a 3/4” black bar on either side of the image.

My complaints are minor though, I really like this thing.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-10-2018 at 12:09 AM.

As soon as the new one is out (tomorrow) nobody is getting $800 for an iPad pro 10.5 if it is wifi only. If they keep the 10.5, price is going to drop.

A new one is $900 on Apple.ca for a refurbished one where the warranty starts today, instead of 1-2 or 6 months ago.
    I ended up selling my iPad 10.5 today for $800. Thankfully Apple did not drop the price and also there are so many people on Kijiji wanting insane prices for their 10.5's ($800+ for 64gb) that mine looked cheap.

The amount of emails I got saying nothing more then "$500?" was staggering though

If anyone has one to sell, now is probably the time before Apple cuts the price.

AppleCare+ follows the device, correct? I don't need to manually transfer that over to the new owner?

------------------

In other news, I am having a hell of a time finding a screen protector for the new 11". I have tried 3 of them so far and all of them completely remove touch functionality from the device despite perfect installs. I've never had this issue before with any other device. There is a long thread over at macrumors as well. Has anyone found a screen protector that maintains touch functionality?

Page 76 of 193 FirstFirst ... 66 75 76 77 86 ... LastLast