Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 51 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 51 of 193 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 3846

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Find one that grips the phone when it's vibrating. Nothing more annoying than the phone vibrating and moving off the charger from messages overnight. Otherwise they're all the same to me.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I grabbed the anker from amazon for like $23. Works. Cheap and good.

Apple finally admitted to slowing down iPhones over time intentionally since iOS 10.2.1, they seem to be taking a lot of heat for it. Some people in California are trying to get a class action going, not sure if it has any traction.

We all knew they were doing it, but I'm surprised they opened themselves up to the PR nightmare of admitting it - if the claim is to preserve battery life and prevent random shutdowns (they are marketing this as a feature haha), at least give users the choice to turn that "feature" on or off with a simple menu slider or source better quality parts to avoid this in the first place. I also wonder if this this is one measure they took to stop having to replace so many batteries due to past issues, or part of a broader strategy to encourage more frequent upgrades (probably a bit of both).

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/21...iphone-models/

My Ride
    Exploded.

Maybe they'll do trade-ins and discounts for the X! MWHAHAHA BREAD FIXING AND IPHONES.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

speed kills

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you have to wait long or was it pretty quick and painless?
    Quick and painless, took a couple minutes to get to the right dept and once there it was a 1 min process.

Battery degradation in one season of cold-ish weather, and then CPU throttling... Dun dun duh.

At least they finally admit it. It was pretty noticeable for some people. All the people that played Pokémon Go through the winter season last year is pretty much noticing it now, its definitely not going to be running full speed through *two* Canadian winters.

I upgraded my table with an aluminum mouse pad (replaces an upside down cake pan) to try and keep an LG Gpad closer to the optimal 15 Celsius that nearly all electronics like to run at. Also quickly brings the tablet back up to reasonable room temperature much quicker than just a wood surface.

Not too hot, not too cold, although I did torture it to -15 Celsius last year just to see if it would work.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 12-22-2017 at 10:20 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Battery degradation in one season of cold-ish weather, and then CPU throttling... Dun dun duh.

At least they finally admit it. It was pretty noticeable for some people. All the people that played Pokémon Go through the winter season last year is pretty much noticing it now, its definitely not going to be running full speed through *two* Canadian winters.

I upgraded my table with an aluminum mouse pad (replaces an upside down cake pan) to try and keep an LG Gpad closer to the optimal 15 Celsius that nearly all electronics like to run at. Also quickly brings the tablet back up to reasonable room temperature much quicker than just a wood surface.

Not too hot, not too cold, although I did torture it to -15 Celsius last year just to see if it would work.
    Why not a nickel mouse pad?
    Will fuck off, again.

Nickel would be too expensive, although its not entirely a bad idea (stainless steel) Technically, the cheapy cakepan probably was stainless steel with a Teflon coating.

A draftsman table with steel surface instead of glass would be a gigantic heatsink, but might be a little uncomfortable as your hands would definitely get cold.

Aluminum has the unfortunate tendency to dent, warp and scuff but does have superior thermals. I also suggest that old passive CPU heatsinks can be simply dropped ontop of the outer casing of a PS4 so that the fan does not kick in as early or be as loud. There are plenty of obsolete pre-Pentium3 era heatsinks out there.

https://www.amazon.ca/HV-MP835-Alumi.../dp/B01DU5244Q Works very well, it is noticeably cooler than cakepan and noticeably quicker at heating up from freezing to room temperature as well. If someone made a solid nickel or nickel plated copper mousepad (even though technically its not a mousepad) with cooling fins underneath, I'd buy it.

Add: I'd be willing to say that if you use an aluminum mouse pad as a tablet or phone pad "resting spot" (that does not have the camera bump and lies flat) it will significantly lengthen the overall battery life of that device. Especially if you use a quick charger (where you want to try and keep thermals as close as possible to just slightly under room temperature) If overall battery life is tied to CPU throttling, I can imagine that simply using a aluminum pad could keep your device running at full speed for several months more than just placing it on a insulating desk made of wood or the like.

That and of course on the one in a million chance you have a battery fire, having a solid metal sheet between the phone and a combustible wooden desk might just keep your house from burning down. Care should be taken with aluminum pads to not overly scuff them however - as you don't want aluminum dust finding its way into your device.

Nickel coated copper would not scuff, and in many ways would be a superior choice.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 12-26-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

$35 battery replacement starting late Jan. 2018

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/ip...cement-canada/

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Took a couple of Anker chargers off my brothers hands, his phone case has a magnetic plate in it so wireless charging wouldn’t work for him.

One is the cheapo 5 watt and the other is the slim 10 watt one. Wow is all I can say, even the 5 watt charges pretty fast imo, can’t say I really notice a difference in charging speed between the 10 and 5. Still, what an experience to not have to fiddle with cables in the dark trying to plug my phone in (I inevitably have a dead phone the morning after a night of drinking for this reason).

Definitely going to stick a pad in the Center console of my car to just drop and go, do you guys know if these things have a ton of parasitic draw? Not worth toasting my battery over.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Took a couple of Anker chargers off my brothers hands, his phone case has a magnetic plate in it so wireless charging wouldn’t work for him.

One is the cheapo 5 watt and the other is the slim 10 watt one. Wow is all I can say, even the 5 watt charges pretty fast imo, can’t say I really notice a difference in charging speed between the 10 and 5. Still, what an experience to not have to fiddle with cables in the dark trying to plug my phone in (I inevitably have a dead phone the morning after a night of drinking for this reason).

Definitely going to stick a pad in the Center console of my car to just drop and go, do you guys know if these things have a ton of parasitic draw? Not worth toasting my battery over.
    C class has wireless charger option now. Should be able to retrofit for a much cleaner OEM setup.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Does it? I feel like every time I google it all I find are forums bitching about the E.

Will look into it.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Does it? I feel like every time I google it all I find are forums bitching about the E.

Will look into it.
    N/m you’re right. Not available in the C yet. Coming for next years model.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Just picked up an X, 256GB.

I plan to use this puppy to its maximum, and keep it for (Battery dependent) three years.

Any game changer apps for the X out yet?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Just picked up an X, 256GB.

I plan to use this puppy to its maximum, and keep it for (Battery dependent) three years.
    That's not how the Apple life works bro. Betcha own the next one in under two years.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

I bought the 29w usb-c wall adapter and the accompanying cable. Man quick charge is so nice to have. 40% charge in less than twenty mins. It was on sale at bestbuy saved $13 total

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    That's not how the Apple life works bro. Betcha own the next one in under two years.
    Well Let’s see how long this lasts. First time trying to use Face ID in bed this morning and it didn’t work. Nice apple. Spit.

I had to get up and turn on the light. Any ideas anyone?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Well Let’s see how long this lasts. First time trying to use Face ID in bed this morning and it didn’t work. Nice apple. Spit.

I had to get up and turn on the light. Any ideas anyone?
    Crank the brightness on the phone then it will work in next to no light

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You look like shit in the morning?

I dunno, I haven't had a problem with FaceID in the mornings. I try to get some emails done before the kids wake up so I'm on it every AM. The key is you have to look at the screen. Or you can turn that off in FaceID settings but it's less secure.

Page 51 of 193 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast