Apple Thread - Page 150 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 150 of 192 FirstFirst ... 140 149 150 151 160 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 3838

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are a few instances where Apple Pay won’t work where nfc cards do. Another instance is paywave vending machines.

Tough to know why or to predict it.
    I see. I thought it was something specifically to do with Petro gas pumps or something. Or something I was doing wrong.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    I am not sure if they plan on changing it but I know i can still cast from apps in iOS to chromecast. Audio apps like spotify work well also. My issue is Apple Music. It will not cast to anything but airplay and i am done with Spotify and making the switch which is why i want a airplay "reciever".
    Given I ain't replacing up to like 10+ chromecast devices around the house, love to see that iOS doesn't ban apps supporting chromecast.

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    I see. I thought it was something specifically to do with Petro gas pumps or something. Or something I was doing wrong.
    Not anythign you're doing wrong... most likely a specific problem with their pump contactless reader hardware/software. Just doesn't support the latest contactless standard that is used by Apple Pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Given I ain't replacing up to like 10+ chromecast devices around the house, love to see that iOS doesn't ban apps supporting chromecast.
    Yet...

I wouldn't put it passed them. Or at least cripple it so its basically unusable. They currently do that with Apple Music and it may be a sign of the beginning of the end.

My Ride
    Grimace

Yet...

I wouldn't put it passed them. Or at least cripple it so its basically unusable. They currently do that with Apple Music and it may be a sign of the beginning of the end.
    Apple music should be coming to the google home app soon, it became available in a few countries a little while ago not sure why they didn't include canada though.

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    Apple music should be coming to the google home app soon, it became available in a few countries a little while ago not sure why they didn't include canada though.
    It became available to any assistant enabled device. So a nest speaker or screen. This is enabled though the home app as a service. Traditional casting from an iOS device to a legacy chromecast device i doubt will ever happen.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

More random M1 performance notes.

We have 3 kids doing online schools this week, each with a Macbook. An M1 MBA, and M1 MBP, and an Intel MBP. The M1's lasted the whole day with zero issues. The one kid with the Intel MBP has to plug in by 2pm every single day, and fan noise through the day using simply Google Meet and Google Classrooms and Google Apps. Pure silence through the whole day not he M1's.

I also decided to try and run Windows ARM on the M1's yesterday through Parallels, and it runs absolutely smooth. Installed Steam and GTA 4 on it (I don't have enough storage to test GTA 5) and the game easily ran 60fps. Had the MacBook power the Xbox controller, and audio through my Beats over Bluetooth gave an estimated playtime of 5 hours on the M1 MBP. Good excuse to actually test it one day. Pretty impressive considering GTA 4 was double emulated + virtualized. Benchmark results:

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 6.22.13 PM.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  25.2 KB

Windows ARM is still pretty flaky. Def not production ready, but good enough to emulate GTA 4 x64 to ARM.

Definitely getting more space when work upgrades me to M1 to get GTA4 and GTA5 running on there. Perfect for my long flights.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    More random M1 performance notes.

We have 3 kids doing online schools this week, each with a Macbook. An M1 MBA, and M1 MBP, and an Intel MBP. The M1's lasted the whole day with zero issues. The one kid with the Intel MBP has to plug in by 2pm every single day, and fan noise through the day using simply Google Meet and Google Classrooms and Google Apps. Pure silence through the whole day not he M1's.

I also decided to try and run Windows ARM on the M1's yesterday through Parallels, and it runs absolutely smooth. Installed Steam and GTA 4 on it (I don't have enough storage to test GTA 5) and the game easily ran 60fps. Had the MacBook power the Xbox controller, and audio through my Beats over Bluetooth gave an estimated playtime of 5 hours on the M1 MBP. Good excuse to actually test it one day. Pretty impressive considering GTA 4 was double emulated + virtualized. Benchmark results:

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 6.22.13 PM.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  25.2 KB

Windows ARM is still pretty flaky. Def not production ready, but good enough to emulate GTA 4 x64 to ARM.

Definitely getting more space when work upgrades me to M1 to get GTA4 and GTA5 running on there. Perfect for my long flights.
    Has your kid told you to stop fucking around with his laptop and told you to get your own yet? haha

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Has your kid told you to stop fucking around with his laptop and told you to get your own yet? haha
    They sleep early. Like 7pm early. Shit's fair game when they're out.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    This and that.

I am happy with the M1 Air so far, although a colleague was telling me that apparently M2 has already been announced for later on in the year.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Your colleague is incorrect that anything has been announced.

However it is very likely. Will probably see a “pro” oriented M1X in the next few months along with new iMacs and larger MacBook pros.

Following apples standard update schedule an M2 by the end of the year is entirely predictable (they have release new A processors every year since they started).

Nothing to already consider switching over. Though I suppose there is a chance you could get one in black.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

My iPhone 12 doesn’t work with Qi wireless chargers. Tried in my Genesis. Nothing. It’s a dead feature for now. Will test on my truck later today. Seems to be an issue with the 12. I tried the hard shutdown work around nothing.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Your colleague is incorrect that anything has been announced.

However it is very likely. Will probably see a “pro” oriented M1X in the next few months along with new iMacs and larger MacBook pros.

Following apples standard update schedule an M2 by the end of the year is entirely predictable (they have release new A processors every year since they started).

Nothing to already consider switching over. Though I suppose there is a chance you could get one in black.
    there's always a newer hardware on the horizon, M1X is rumoured to be announced, possibly MBP 14 and 16?
    then wouldnt be surprised for new announcement for the fall models.

but what good is it to wait when you need a laptop right away lol

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    but what good is it to wait when you need a laptop right away lol
    That's how I got stuck with a MBP Intel.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If I had a crystal ball to confirm that I will get at least 5 years of use out of it I think an Intel iMac 27 would be an awesome purchase right now.

Confirmed eGPU support, optionality to run windows if that’s my perogative. Very tempting.

I worry that Intel support will be deprecated in closer to 2-3 years from today though.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Pretty impressive considering GTA 4 was double emulated + virtualized. Benchmark results:
    Isn't that only a single emulated? I assume parallel allows you to run Windows on ARM VM and WoA is doing the x64 emulation thru OS/Software?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Isn't that only a single emulated? I assume parallel allows you to run Windows on ARM VM and WoA is doing the x64 emulation thru OS/Software?
    Single emulated single virtualized. Should’ve used a slash instead.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Anyone had to have bought a lightning dock extender for their cases? If so, whereabouts?

Or bought a case that fits well with lightning docks? The Apple leather case I bought fits on a dock but also broke my old iPhone when I dropped it at the exposed bottom part

Dented the port lol.

Im finalizing my transition from Android to Apple with replacing my Chromecast Audio's. Going to go with an Raspberry Pi, DAC, and a purpose built version of linux. Will act as a receiver for airplay to plug into already existing amplified "dumb" 2.1 setups i had around the house. Should cost me about $60 per. Ill post an update once the parts arrive and i get into it.
    Update here...

Got the parts yesterday.

Name:  IMG_1754.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  45.4 KB

Took all of 5 mins to put it all together.

This unit has wifi so i set it up to automatically connect to my wifi on boot and configured it headless through SSH. Installed no OS raspbian then installed shairport-sync. Shairport-sync is a airplay compatible media player. It works well and has zero lag. Now multiroom will be interesting when i get more and will be the real test but for a simple airplay "receiver" this can't be beat.

All in with shipping, this cost $80. Will cost less when I order more for the remaining devices.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/01/15...-ceo-apple-m1/

Incoming Intel CEO points out how embarrassing it is that they can’t make better chips than a lifestyle company

fact.

Page 150 of 192 FirstFirst ... 140 149 150 151 160 ... LastLast