Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 153 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 153 of 192 FirstFirst ... 143 152 153 154 163 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 3838

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Does anyone know if the new Apple chargers are GaN chargers?
    GaN charger was one of the big thing at CES2020 last year. They charge faster, more efficient and less energy lost to heat.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

They are not

Been rumoured as to when apple will start releasing these, particularly for their laptops, but to my understanding it hasn’t happened yet.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Does anyone know if the new Apple chargers are GaN chargers?
    GaN charger was one of the big thing at CES2020 last year. They charge faster, more efficient and less energy lost to heat.
    GaN chargers have been available for a while now, if you want one you can just pick your wattage and grab one off Amazon from RavPower or Ugreen. They are constantly on sale. Probably much cheaper than anything Apple is going to release as well.

They don't necessarily charger faster than other chargers, it's more that they can be made with a smaller form factor and comparable wattage. They still get pretty warm but that's not a big deal.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I think the new cable is USB C, power blocks for it are admittedly a fair bit more rare than the usb blocks most people have lying around.
    The switch to usb c and power delivery is good for charging speeds, but I’m sick of having so many charging bricks around again. In the USB A quick charge days I can get an 8 port charger to consolidate everything but that doesn’t seem to exist for usbc pd, especially when it gets to high wattage requirements like laptop chargers. Only thing I found is an anker 2 port 100w that can do 100w single port, or 45W when both ports in use.

Am I missing something or does it not exist? I’d love an 8 port that can charge everything and cable manage shit properly. Pain in the ass right now with laptops, iPads and power banks all wanting pd power.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The switch to usb c and power delivery is good for charging speeds, but I’m sick of having so many charging bricks around again. In the USB A quick charge days I can get an 8 port charger to consolidate everything but that doesn’t seem to exist for usbc pd, especially when it gets to high wattage requirements like laptop chargers. Only thing I found is an anker 2 port 100w that can do 100w single port, or 45W when both ports in use.

Am I missing something or does it not exist? I’d love an 8 port that can charge everything and cable manage shit properly. Pain in the ass right now with laptops, iPads and power banks all wanting pd power.
    Not really what you are looking for. But I have installed a few of the Leviton 60W USB C outlets around the house. That’s a game changer for me, and support PD.

iPhone fast charging, iPad USB C charging (I only have lightning apple devices currently). But it also charges and powers my wife’s MacBook Pro just fine, to the point where she hasn’t used the apple brick since, it is a little slower if you need a fast charge but I have basically eliminated the need for power bricks around the house with these things and wireless charging for my phone.

I’m sure it would work well enough to keep the charge going on my xps15 if I ever moved it from my office.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I considered those even back in the usb days but 2 ports ain’t close to being enough for a family of 5, unless I want devices all over the house. I don’t need charging while the devices are in use, especially since the M1s easily last the whole day. Using while charging is just a recipe for broken cables with the kids.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You all sitting at the same desk or something?

Could put in a 4Gang but that’s getting a bit pricey.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You all sitting at the same desk or something?

Could put in a 4Gang but that’s getting a bit pricey.
    No, this is for night time charging. Make sure the kids out shit back in the right place at bedtime. They’re unplugged through the day, with battery banks as an emergency power up if they’re out of power for iPads.

3 laptops, 2 iPads, variety of airpods and beats, battery packs for heated vests, battery banks lol. I’m sure there’s more shit we charge nightly that I forgot about.

Right now I’m using 3 of those anker 100w and a 8 port usb qc charger to facilitate everything.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea that’s less than ideal.

fact.

No, this is for night time charging. Make sure the kids out shit back in the right place at bedtime. They’re unplugged through the day, with battery banks as an emergency power up if they’re out of power for iPads.

3 laptops, 2 iPads, variety of airpods and beats, battery packs for heated vests, battery banks lol. I’m sure there’s more shit we charge nightly that I forgot about.

Right now I’m using 3 of those anker 100w and a 8 port usb qc charger to facilitate everything.
    If it is for overnight charging, then keep using your 8 port charger with usb-a to c cables.
    ---

The slower the charge the better if you're leaving it overnight in terms of battery health & safety. I wouldn't want to be using PD for that.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    If it is for overnight charging, then keep using your 8 port charger with usb-a to c cables.
    That won’t work for PD only devices like macbooks

fact.

That won’t work for PD only devices like macbooks
    Right, his laptops were never part of this clean 8-port usb-a charging setup he had in the past so nothing has changed.

I was more responding to his complaint about migration to PD causing him to use more charging bricks.

All his low powered devices can continue to be charged with his old setup and his laptops will actually use less than before since you can charge 2 PD laptops with one power brick.
    ---

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Solution is use 8 port for non PD Devices and add a few Leviton plugs for the MacBooks. Problem solved.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-26-2021 at 12:39 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Solution is use 8 port for non PD Devices and add a few Leviton plugs for the MacBooks. Problem solved.
    That's pretty much what I'm doing. Good old 8 port, with 6 PD ports via 3 anker 100W's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The slower the charge the better if you're leaving it overnight in terms of battery health & safety. I wouldn't want to be using PD for that.
    I don't think you can charge newer iPads on 10W anymore, so you're forced to use USB C PD. Regardless, my almost 4 year old iPad Pro seems to be the same for battery life even tho it's fast charged nightly.

Ironically, my iPhone XS battery seems to be deteriorating, and that's been slowly wireless charged nightly for it's whole life. Go figure.

I don't think you can charge newer iPads on 10W anymore, so you're forced to use USB C PD. Regardless, my almost 4 year old iPad Pro seems to be the same for battery life even tho it's fast charged nightly.

Ironically, my iPhone XS battery seems to be deteriorating, and that's been slowly wireless charged nightly for it's whole life. Go figure.
    Oh ok, that could be. My iPad Pro 11" will take a charge at 10W but it's from 2018 so that may have changed with the newest models.

I never charge anything overnight and slow-charge whenever possible. I only use fast/PD charging if I'm in a hurry or forget to charge something, and I haven't noticed any battery deterioration on any of my devices but then again I don't keep many things for more than 2-3 years so it's also possible it just isn't long enough to make a huge difference.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea my iPad Pro never did charge at 10W. It just says not charging on the display. I think it was charging but really really slowly, never had 100% by morning.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Heated vest? What?
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    Heated vest? What?
    I’d say his kids are snowflakes, but then they’d melt

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    Heated vest? What?
    https://www.amazon.ca/IUREK-Heating-...dp/B08DR431CT/

I’d say his kids are snowflakes, but then they’d melt
    It's for the adults lol.

Page 153 of 192 FirstFirst ... 143 152 153 154 163 ... LastLast