Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 25 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 25 of 193 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Thread

Cool, I'll check on the weekend then.

I thought they had a 1-year warranty without having to buy Apple Care? I'm so careful with my stuff I'm not going to bother with Apple Care but I definitely want the protection against issues for a year.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

My Air 2 volume buttons crapped out 18 days after my applecare+ expired. Apple honored the warranty and replaced my, then 2 year old Air 2 with a new one.

Screen was perfect on my old one, but the kicker was I got a new fresh battery. For me it was worth it.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    I remember when I bought my iBook G4, it was because it was a cheaper alternative to an equivalent Windows laptop. Man have times changed. As much as I like macOS, I'm so done with Apple hardware, which was never even current to begin with. My next laptop will be a Hackintosh. Hopefully that won't be for a while. My Macbook Pro was the last model they had where you could remove and replace the parts yourself so short of the logic board failing, it should last me a while.
    That is the exact MBP that died on me. It was a logic and the extended coverage is over now.

I would love to build a hackintosh laptop but it really isn't easy to find laptops that will have drivers for everything.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Cool, I'll check on the weekend then.

I thought they had a 1-year warranty without having to buy Apple Care? I'm so careful with my stuff I'm not going to bother with Apple Care but I definitely want the protection against issues for a year.
    They do. What I meant was you can still add on AppleCare if you wanted to extend coverage.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

They do. What I meant was you can still add on AppleCare if you wanted to extend coverage.
    Ah, got it. Thanks.

Originally posted by schocker
    Looks like the 10.5 also has 4gb of ram now like the 12.9 instead of the 2gb in the 9.7. That is a nice update.
    Any confirmation on that 4GB for the 10.5"? It makes sense given the multi-tasking features, and now virtually everything else seems the same except screen size, but I have not read anything concrete on that. I hope it has the 4GB. Last time the 12.9" had a higher clocked CPU and double the ram so hopefully they made them equals.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^I saw it on reddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/commen..._compact_size/
    IIRC, the only difference between the original 12.9 and 9.7 was the ram amount, soc was the same and the 9.7 had the better screen. Keep looking at the 10.5 though...might see if I can sell my 9.7 for that extra screen real estate, 256gb and smoother pencil support.

Cool, that's good enough for me. I forgot to look at Reddit.

I read the previous Pro's were clocked at 2.26Ghz and 2.16Ghz for the 12.9 and 9.7 respectively - not a big difference, but a difference. Almost seems trivial why they would even bother.

The only thing is I think the 10.5" uses the iPhone interface for split screen 50/50 where the 12.9" retains the tablet interface. Not ideal but there is no way I'm getting a 12.9.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Cool, that's good enough for me. I forgot to look at Reddit.

I read the previous Pro's were clocked at 2.26Ghz and 2.16Ghz for the 12.9 and 9.7 respectively - not a big difference, but a difference. Almost seems trivial why they would even bother.

The only thing is I think the 10.5" uses the iPhone interface for split screen 50/50 where the 12.9" retains the tablet interface. Not ideal but there is no way I'm getting a 12.9.
    Battery size.

My Air 2 turns into two iphones when I do split screen. Doesn't bother me.

Yeah I imagine it's not a big deal. I'd rather be able to run up to 4 apps at once if it meant a change in UI than not at all.

My Ride
    Grimace

Isn't the usage still the same battery life wise as they just give each one a big enough battery to get around 10 hours of use?

The 12.9 did have usb 3 vs 2 on the 9.7 so you could use the macbook higher wattage usb c charger to speed up the charge time on the 12.9. Not sure if that has now changed, but I would only assume so like the 4gb ram.

never thought i'd see the day where mitsu is seriously considering an apple product

Why do you guys think Apple is skipping the "S Series" this year?
    10th Anniversary iPhone?.

2017 = iPhone 7 S, iPhone 7 S + and 3rd line/device iPhone X (named known)

2018= iPhone 8

Isn't the usage still the same battery life wise as they just give each one a big enough battery to get around 10 hours of use?

The 12.9 did have usb 3 vs 2 on the 9.7 so you could use the macbook higher wattage usb c charger to speed up the charge time on the 12.9. Not sure if that has now changed, but I would only assume so like the 4gb ram.
    This is how they measure the 10hr battery life, seems like a simulated mixed usage case which is reasonable:

Testing conducted by Apple in May 2017 using preproduction iPad Pro (10.5-inch) and iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation) units and software. Testing consisted of full battery discharge while performing each of the following tasks: video playback, audio playback, and Internet browsing using Wi‑Fi or cellular data network. Video content was a repeated 2-hour 23-minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. Audio content was a playlist of 358 unique audio tracks purchased from the iTunes Store. Internet over Wi‑Fi and cellular data network tests were conducted using dedicated web and mail servers, browsing snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages, and receiving mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Wi‑Fi was associated with a network (except for Internet browsing over cellular data network); the Wi‑Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off; Brightness was set to 50%; and WPA2 encryption was enabled. Battery life depends on device settings, usage and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPad units; actual results may vary.

Apple never lists battery capacities but I suspect the battery is the same or similar to the 9.7" since the chassis size is 95% the same. The new CPU is probably more efficient on 10nm, but it does have some extra cores.

I hope these come with decent chargers - if you have to buy a separate charger just to get fast charging on a $1000 premium product that is pretty weak IMO. We will see.

Someone on MacRumors did tests and the 87w charger charged slower than the 29w one - not sure how credible it was.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...o-29w.2015416/
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-08-2017 at 09:04 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The new CPU is probably more efficient on 10nm, but it does have some extra cores.
    The old iPad Pro had a 2 core A9X. The A10X in the new Pro is 6 cores, 3 performance cores comparable to the A9X's 2, and 3 low energy cores to handle low priority requests that uses much less power, like the A10 in the iPhone 7. In practice, it makes no difference during heavy usage in terms of battery life. When you're not using the phone, however, that's where the gains are significant. On not so busy days where I'm not on the phone much, I'm sitting at 70-80% battery charge when I head home, compared to 50%ish at best when I had the iPhone 6S.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by sabad66
    never thought i'd see the day where mitsu is seriously considering an apple product
    I've owned and used Apple products since 2009, and cross shop them every time I am looking for a new phone/tablet. I've owned iPhones, iPads, and iPods over the years. I buy what suits my personal needs best at any given time, hence my interest in the latest iPad Pro. Some people just ignore that though because it's more fun to bust my balls On top of that I have a genuine interest in all things technology, I like to have at least some exposure to both ecosystems as they both have their strengths and unique apps.

An ultra-premium tablet doesn't even exist in the Android world right now, I am not sure if it's on its way (no rumors yet as Google Taimen is supposed to be a phone not a tablet) or if they are just focusing on Chromebooks and the like. The closest thing is the Samsung Tab S3 and it uses a year-old processor. Build quality and screen are excellent, but the rest of the package is disappointing. The only thing to cross-shop the iPad pro with is basically a Surface, but even then I consider them two very different devices. I am genuinely impressed by the steps Apple is taking to make their tablets more flexible and user friendly (I.e. adding a file system and improved multi tasting). I'm sure I'll still have some frustrations but it's probably the best choice for me at the moment. There seems to be work-arounds for most things and virtually every core Google app now works on iOS (Gmail, Maps, Earth, News Stand, Sheets/Docs, Keep, Drive, etc.)

Originally posted by rage2

The old iPad Pro had a 2 core A9X. The A10X in the new Pro is 6 cores, 3 performance cores comparable to the A9X's 2, and 3 low energy cores to handle low priority requests that uses much less power, like the A10 in the iPhone 7. In practice, it makes no difference during heavy usage in terms of battery life. When you're not using the phone, however, that's where the gains are significant. On not so busy days where I'm not on the phone much, I'm sitting at 70-80% battery charge when I head home, compared to 50%ish at best when I had the iPhone 6S.
    I thought the A9X and A10 were 14nm, where the A10X (and upcoming A11) are 10nm, no?

Anyways if you believe Geekbench, the A10X has similar performance to a mobile class Core i5 (Core M). With the Macbook Air discontinued I hope Apple goes all out trying to make the iPads more like laptop replacements.

Also for anyone looking, BestBuy is offering $40 off the Logitech keyboard case with any iPad pro purchase.

My Ride
    Grimace

An ultra-premium tablet doesn't even exist in the Android world right now, I am not sure if it's on its way (no rumors yet as Google Taimen is supposed to be a phone not a tablet) or if they are just focusing on Chromebooks and the like.
    That is why I have an ipad and I hateeeee ios. Also makes you look like a real knob when you use it in meetings to take notes.

Looks like I could get $600+ for my 128gb 9.7 though so I might think of upgrading to the 10.5 like a true apple fan.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I thought the A9X and A10 were 14nm, where the A10X (and upcoming A11) are 10nm, no?
    A9X and A10 were 16nm (Samsung didn't get the contract on them for 14nm), A10X and A11 are rumored TMSC 10nm but who knows till they're both out in the wild.

That is why I have an ipad and I hateeeee ios. Also makes you look like a real knob when you use it in meetings to take notes.

Looks like I could get $600+ for my 128gb 9.7 though so I might think of upgrading to the 10.5 like a true apple fan.
    Yeah I won't be using it at work or trendy/hipster coffee shops thankfully haha. I would be ridiculed to no end. I just want it for general use, netflix, movies/shows, surfing, etc. Might use it to cull my photos on planes if it's fast enough for huge RAW files and if that is easy enough to do.

I hope I find more uses for it too, as it is quite powerful - time will tell I guess. Not going to bother with a keyboard but might get the pencil sometime down the road.

Resale has always been pretty good for Apple since so few people can afford them new If you can upgrade for a few hundred and double the storage while you're at it, that seems pretty reasonable.

Page 25 of 193 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast