Apple Thread - Page 86 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 86 of 193 FirstFirst ... 76 85 86 87 96 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 3846

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Need to finally upgrade my 6s that can't hold a charge worth a shit.

Do the older iphones usually drop in price right about now?
    All the carriers have deals right now. I think you can get an XR for basically free now with a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Need to finally upgrade my 6s that can't hold a charge worth a shit.

Do the older iphones usually drop in price right about now?
    Usually the prices (both new and used market) will drop after the announcement. I would wait until after the 10th to buy if i were you.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Fair point, but I find Apple products really shine when you pay for as much horsepower as possible. The value on spending 20-30% more is really there when it staves off 2 more years of obsolescence.

Sure it’s massive overkill in year 1, but at least it still functions at year 3-4.

My original mini was unusable after 2 years because it came with last years processor.
    Fair enough. If you don't mind paying for it, and plan to keep it for a long time, the Pros are a little better even for day-to-day stuff. They are also more fragile though, at least with the current style - they are too thin IMHO.

The old mini was brutal - had you bought one in the last 1-2 years they were basically unusable right from new compared to the typical Apple performance standard. The 4th generation hadn't been updated since 2013/2014 and it was somehow more expensive than a brand new 9.7" with modern hardware. The 5th iteration brought a desperately needed update and more reasonable pricing.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea I feel like the mini was a missed mark for a lot of years. I’m sure Apple knows best in terms of marketing and customer demands but I always loved the size, but was always annoyed by it being an obvious second fiddle to the big one.

Even now, an iPad Pro shrunk into a mini form factor would be awesome.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Yea I feel like the mini was a missed mark for a lot of years. I’m sure Apple knows best in terms of marketing and customer demands but I always loved the size, but was always annoyed by it being an obvious second fiddle to the big one.

Even now, an iPad Pro shrunk into a mini form factor would be awesome.
    Yup. I was forced to an iPad Pro when there was no update to the mini. Fuck I miss using that thing as a daily driver.

Will evaluate how "desktop mode" for Safari works on iOS 13 to see if I could pull off travelling with iPad only.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Yup. I was forced to an iPad Pro when there was no update to the mini. Fuck I miss using that thing as a daily driver.

Will evaluate how "desktop mode" for Safari works on iOS 13 to see if I could pull off travelling with iPad only.
    I haven't noticed a huge difference in the beta.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

...n/m

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Someone posted a used iPhone 7 Plus on our intranet for 700$ good luck with that.

Hoping they stepped up the megapixel count of the sensor with the new tri camera setup sometimes in really low light my pics look like trash compared to a S10+

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Someone posted a used iPhone 7 Plus on our intranet for 700$ good luck with that.

Hoping they stepped up the megapixel count of the sensor with the new tri camera setup sometimes in really low light my pics look like trash compared to a S10+
    Unless Apple copies other night modes in Android, upping pixel count and not censor size will yield worse low light performance.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post

Lol, you can buy an 8 plus or XR for less than that on Kijiji.

You don't want them to raise the MP count if low light is your issue, it will be even worse if they shrink the pixels to cram in more resolution at the expense of light gathering ability.

The bigger problem is Apple doesn't have a competitive HDR/image stacking algorithm and doesn't even offer something like Night Sight, both of which massively improve low light photos on smartphones provided the subject isn't moving too fast. Night Sight is a fairly simple principle (longer exposures + image stacking + AI white balance), but it's a game changer in that department.

Apple is 2-3 generations behind now on their camera tech (a big part of which is on the computational photography side), so they have a huge gap to close if they want the iPhone 11's to be competitive in that department - just adding more cameras to the back doesn't help if they don't have the rest of it figured out. They obviously aren't bad at all, but that is one area they are way behind in compared to the Android world.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Whoops, yeah larger sensor, not pixel count**

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Apple is 2-3 generations behind now on their camera tech (a big part of which is on the computational photography side), so they have a huge gap to close if they want the iPhone 11's to be competitive in that department - just adding more cameras to the back doesn't help if they don't have the rest of it figured out. They obviously aren't bad at all, but that is one area they are way behind in compared to the Android world.
    Bit of an exaggeration there haha. Yea google is better in some situations, Apple in others, but the gap closes when you add in post processing. It’s basically how iPhones default process a warmer and less shadowy image while pixels default to a cooler more sharply processed image. It depends what you’re after. Yes pixel is better at night because of stacking, but it’s not as big of a gap as default processing once iPhone night shots are post processed. Kenny and I did side by side tests when he got his Pixel 3. Pixel’s software zoom is nice if there’s no motion, but still doesn’t compare to a true optical zoom. Videos, no contest when you can’t apply any of the stacking so pixel gets destroyed.

Anyways, pros and cons on both, but 2-3 generations behind is laughable.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Bit of an exaggeration there haha. Yea google is better in some situations, Apple in others, but the gap closes when you add in post processing. It’s basically how iPhones default process a warmer and less shadowy image while pixels default to a cooler more sharply processed image. It depends what you’re after. Yes pixel is better at night because of stacking, but it’s not as big of a gap as default processing once iPhone night shots are post processed. Kenny and I did side by side tests when he got his Pixel 3. Pixel’s software zoom is nice if there’s no motion, but still doesn’t compare to a true optical zoom. Videos, no contest when you can’t apply any of the stacking so pixel gets destroyed.

Anyways, pros and cons on both, but 2-3 generations behind is laughable.

I dunno, Apple has nothing that even comes close to Night Sight. I don't think it's an exaggeration. Also, what percentage of smartphone shooters are post-processing their photos beyond adding an Instagram filter? I know you and I might, but I've got to believe the number of people doing that is extremely low. Unless you are collecting multiple identical RAW images and stacking them in post (not a super easy thing to do), you aren't getting close to Night Sight.

If you're willing to process a bunch of RAW files manually with the proper software, well then yeah all bets are off, but 99% people don't use their camera phones like that. That's also extremely inconvenient and time consuming.

iVerge has a few articles on it and they seem to agree, despite their extremely pro-apple sentiment everywhere else: https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/3/18...el-competition

Another quote from them "Still, if the iPhone XS could even match last year’s Pixel 2 in basic image quality, it’d be a significant and immediately noticeable improvement for every iPhone user." And that is with basic photos, not Night Sight.

Anyway, I am obviously not the only person to think this way if other Apple fanboys agree. And like I said, it is by no means bad, it's just pretty far behind at least at the current juncture - the 11's might close some of the gap.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-05-2019 at 11:34 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I dunno, Apple has nothing that even comes close to Night Sight. I don't think it's an exaggeration. Also, what percentage of smartphone shooters are post-processing their photos beyond adding an Instagram filter? I know you and I might, but I've got to believe the number of people doing that is extremely low. Unless you are collecting multiple identical RAW images and stacking them in post (not a super easy thing to do), you aren't getting close to Night Sight.

If you're willing to process a bunch of RAW files manually with the proper software, well then yeah all bets are off, but 99% people don't use their camera phones like that. That's also extremely inconvenient and time consuming.

iVerge has a few articles on it and they seem to agree, despite their extremely pro-apple sentiment everywhere else: https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/3/18...el-competition

Another quote from them "Still, if the iPhone XS could even match last year’s Pixel 2 in basic image quality, it’d be a significant and immediately noticeable improvement for every iPhone user." And that is with basic photos, not Night Sight.

Anyway, I am obviously not the only person to think this way if other Apple fanboys agree. And like I said, it is by no means bad, it's just pretty far behind at least at the current juncture - the 11's might close some of the gap.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Apple isn't behind. They are, especially if you nitpick. I'm just saying your 2-3 generations behind is laughable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Apple isn't behind. They are, especially if you nitpick. I'm just saying your 2-3 generations behind is laughable.
    I'm willing to reduce it to 1-2 generations Also, a one-generation difference is not big - it sounds worse than it is. Night Sight was a bit of a game changer but before that, honestly the year-over-year improvements in both camps have been quite minor.

When there's major features they don't have in the areas of photography that the average user complains about the most (like blurry or noisy pics in low light), that puts them more than a little behind at least IMO.

The way I understand it, your point seems to be that if you process RAW files you can get similar results from an iPhone, which is true because that is all the Pixel is doing too - computational photography. The difference is one happens instantly inside your phone, and the other requires manual post processing of up to 15 identical RAW files and the appropriate knowledge and software to do so. Your average smartphone user just wants to press the button and get better photos, especially in low light. Night sight deals with movement surprisingly well, but if there is major movement then you will run into problems.

We are nitpicking, because if you just care about getting a semi-usable photo in most scenarios, well any phone in the last 5 years or so can deliver on that. Now that smartphones are starting to replace traditional cameras more and more, and prices can easily approach $1500-$2000, the little things start to matter more.

I do suspect Apple will have a version of Night Sight on the 11's.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm willing to reduce it to 1-2 generations Also, a one-generation difference is not big - it sounds worse than it is. Night Sight was a bit of a game changer but before that, honestly the year-over-year improvements in both camps have been quite minor.

When there's major features they don't have in the areas of photography that the average user complains about the most (like blurry or noisy pics in low light), that puts them more than a little behind at least IMO.

The way I understand it, your point seems to be that if you process RAW files you can get similar results from an iPhone, which is true because that is all the Pixel is doing too - computational photography. The difference is one happens instantly inside your phone, and the other requires manual post processing of up to 15 identical RAW files and the appropriate knowledge and software to do so. Your average smartphone user just wants to press the button and get better photos, especially in low light. Night sight deals with movement surprisingly well, but if there is major movement then you will run into problems.

We are nitpicking, because if you just care about getting a semi-usable photo in most scenarios, well any phone in the last 5 years or so can deliver on that. Now that smartphones are starting to replace traditional cameras more and more, and prices can easily approach $1500-$2000, the little things start to matter more.

I do suspect Apple will have a version of Night Sight on the 11's.
    No, my point is that out of the box performance is close (except for very low light). It's what you favor as the default processing. Some like the cooler look of Pixel photos with more shadow and higher sharpening detail, and others like the warmer studio like look of the iPhone's default processing. I only mention processing in that you get the same results either way. Don't get me wrong, some of the technological advances on the Pixel is great, such as the digital zoom using stacking. It's a great way to increase profit margins by not needing to pack it with a optical zoom lens. It works, and works great. End result is the same anyways.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Watching the Apple Event; Apple TV+ will come in as 1 year free subscription if you buy an apple product today. Good marketing so far lol.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    This and that.

Nothing that blows my mind for the iPhone so far. Wish they had changed the shape around more.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by jampack View Post
    Watching the Apple Event; Apple TV+ will come in as 1 year free subscription if you buy an apple product today. Good marketing so far lol.
    That's the best one so far haha. CMON AIRPODS 3...

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Nothing that blows my mind for the iPhone so far. Wish they had changed the shape around more.
    4hrs more battery along with the camera and machine learning blows me away.

Edit : filmic pro has me sold as well. Wow.
    Last edited by Kavy; 09-10-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Page 86 of 193 FirstFirst ... 76 85 86 87 96 ... LastLast