Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 55 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 55 of 193 FirstFirst ... 45 54 55 56 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 3846

Thread: Apple Thread

Quote Originally Posted by eglove View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doesn't work in Canada and isn't sold here yet. All the sonos speakers do it as well as well as any item with a rubber base that sits on an oiled wood surface. That's why we've had these things called coasters for years lol. They have to write news that criticizes something am I right?
    So their competition has had the issue and they still missed it? Yikes. Lots of bluetooth speakers out there do not mark up furniture. For sure news favors the negative, but that's a legit issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Stop ruining the narrative! haha

I'm surprised Mitsu isn't horny over the homepod. Testing shows it's the most accurate audio reproduction speaker that rivals audiophile grade speakers. Me? No interest in it, especially when Siri performance is fucking terrible on it.
    I haven't heard it yet, but I would never buy one anyway because Siri is horrifically bad, integration outside of Apple Music is almost non-existent, and it's overpriced. If there is anyone out there seriously comparing a cheap bluetooth speaker (relative to audiophile equipment) to "audiophile grade" speakers they probably don't know what they are talking about, or don't understand the limitations of physics. A tiny single woofer and a tweeter group connected to weak amps can only do so much. One thing they are doing right is adding room correction to the mix, which is important and often overlooked.

The few reviews I have read on it so far have all been from sites that have no business reviewing speakers, and even they had criticisms regarding its sound quality, but I don't think anyone expects it to be that good - it's just another mainstream bluteooth speaker at the end of the day with a hefty premium for being "smart" with Siri and the like. I haven't seen any proper reviews on it yet from the usual suspects in the HT world.

I don't use bluteooth speakers that often, but I have a UE Boom for travel and a JBL Xtreme for around the house that anyone can connect to - the GF would kill me if I got a third haha. I much prefer listening to real speakers when I get the chance.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I'm surprised Mitsu isn't horny over the homepod. Testing shows it's the most accurate audio reproduction speaker that rivals audiophile grade speakers. Me? No interest in it, especially when Siri performance is fucking terrible on it.
    I think that at least one audiophile pulled the recommendation due to improper test environment.

Most comparison basically give the slight edge to Homepod for sound but Google Home Max blows it out of water with Google assistant and all advertised feature is working now and not on future updates like the Homepod.

And the fact you anyone can check your text msg history by yelling at Homepod is quite a security oversight. To me, that's a bigger screw up that leaving rings on wood surface. Apple definitely rushed the Homepod.

Voice control also only works with Apple Music on Homepod where it works on all 3rd party apps on Google Home (except Apple Music of course).
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-20-2018 at 04:24 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Don't get me wrong, I'm not promoting the HomePod nor do I plan on getting one. I've gone down the audiophile path and grew out of it, so sound quality just needs to be decent these days to keep me happy. The Siri integration is terrible, phone/iPad works better. So to me, the Homepod is a dud. I use AirPods most of the time FFS, and when I want quality, I use Beats Studio, hardly an audiophile anymore. I just wanted to poke fun at Mitsu because it's been ranked well for audio quality by audiophiles, and you're right, the latest update has the redditor questioning his measurements. For those interested, it's here: https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/...le_perspective

While he retracted the analysis, he still prefers the Homepod to the KEF X300A, but that could be from incorrect data bias or something. Who knows.

As for the security oversight, you can configure it so that it can't read your messages, or can only read your message if your phone is on the local network. Really stupid way of doing it, when Siri on iPhones and iPads can differentiate your voice. Not sure why they didn't go that route, although it's probably not perfect since that Cookie Monster Siri commercial triggers my Siri. That begs the question, do I really sound like Cookie Monster?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So little update on the Bluetooth headset and flying debate with air pods and beats etc.

Air Canada seems to be taking a hardline stance on them, going as far as telling me to put them in my bag when they saw them in my lap on my last flight and leaning the blame on transport Canada for not certifying Bluetooth use in flight. They even announced it as part of the safety demo speel

Looking into it further it sounds like WestJet (and porter fwiw) dgaf, AC actually allows it but only on flights that offer wifi citing that these planes are “certified” and the rest aren’t.

Overall. What a joke.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/03/01/b...ill-undecided/
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Had my bluetooth headset on an AC flight just two days ago for takeoff and they didn't say a thing, guy across the aisle had the same set on too funny enough. Think it depends on how anal they are on that shift.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just boarded another one so I’ll let you know how it goes.

The inconsistency is just annoying because I’d rather not bring multiple sets of headphones on a trip.

Didn’t get mentioned on the way back and they were fine with me using them. Seems to vary based on attitude of the flight crew.
    Last edited by killramos; 03-04-2018 at 04:43 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I’ve flown enough on AC where I think I’ve figured out the pattern. On propeller planes, no Bluetooth headsets of any kind gate to gate. On jet planes, only ear buds connected to on board entertainment system allowed from gate to takeoff, and from landing to gate. Everything is allowed between take off and landing. My solution is to wear a hoodie, hides even my beats well. They always give me a dirty look when I’m walking off the plane with them on because I guess I’m supposed to listen to instructions in an emergency, but really, in an emergency, I’m retry sure I’m taking my headphones off.

Let me know if that matches your experience, since you flew to the islands I’m assuming you must have hit at least 1 propeller plane.

Can’t remember WestJet rules, haven’t flown them in a while.

Overseas nobody gives a fuck. I’ve got my shit on from security to airport exit.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea, Q400 both ways to Nanaimo.

So yea prop planes they are most ornery. Haven't been on a jet in a while.

Would be nice if TC released decent common sense rules so the shitty flight attendants could stop hiding behind regulations and just admit they are doing it to be assholes and sell 3 dollar earbuds...

This is my first time flying with just the earpods since i was going a really quick trip, even wore my suit on the flight and straight to the service, usually, I just submit and plug in the beats but I didn't want to bring them this time and just packed the pods in my pocket.

Any of the American airline's assholes in your appearance? Delta made me plug in when I went to SF last August.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Haven’t flown delta. AA no problems.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I had to go to southern ontario on one of those tiny propeller planes and they couldnt give a fuck about bluetooth, wireless or cellular. Also the safety demo plays over the speaker while the propellers are on and you cant hear shit. The plane had a cruising altitude of 13,000 Feet and I think about 15 mins before landing in toronto I could text my wife with 3 bars coverage.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Delta made me plug in when I went to SF last August.
    My last Delta flight to San Diego via Seattle, nobody cares.

I haven't had any issues with Bluetooth either. I have a pair of B&W PX. The US airlines don't care when you wear them. With the Canadian airlines I can only put them on after take off and have to take them off before landing. Prop or jet hasn't made a difference.

I need to get a large amount of video footage (~100 GB) off of my ipad and onto my PC. Any suggestions as to what the easiest way to do that is? I tried just plugging the ipad into my PC, and it will let me view the DCIM folder where the videos are that I need, but the estimated transfer time doesn't move and tells me an estimated 7hr, which doesn't even make sense at USB 2.0 speeds. The iPad Pro 10.5 has USB 3, so I am hoping there is a quick way to do this. Or if there is some sort of wireless transfer app, that would be even better - I had one for android and it was one of my favorite apps, I could just beam anything to/from my tablet over WiFi at max WiFi speeds.

I have this, if that helps: https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...B48d0%252B30a8

Maybe I can plug another USB 3.0 cable into it and then it will work. I refuse to use iTunes unless that is literally the only option. I am happy to pay for a nice polished app that does this well.

I don't have 100GB of cloud space on any service I use.

Anyone tried this app?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-...521595136?mt=8

Or this:

https://www.photosync-app.com/

On another note I bought the LumaFusion app for video editing and it is excellent. Well worth it for me while traveling. Slow to export/convert but that is to be expected on iPad hardware.

EDIT: Bought the Photosync app for $5. Works well but is slow AF (50-80 Mbps). According to the app developer this is due to Apple's WiFi hardware limitations and the upload/transfer speed has an extremely low cap. Hopefully there is still a better way to do this via USB 3.0, but neither the included Apple Cable or my Anker Powerline Lightning cable will work.

EDIT 2: Well the app failed after transferring 69 of 180 items because apparently apps go to sleep after 3 minutes if you switch to another app even if they are running a process. It worked when I didn't touch anything, so I am happy. Transferring data on/off the device still one of the things I hate the most about Apple.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-30-2018 at 02:15 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sounds like a lot of effort for a process that could be done while you sleep.

Also never heard of any apple products working at higher than USB 2 speeds. They support USB C fast charging but that’s about it.

To a Mac you can either use the photos app to offload which works great or you can use airdrop which is pretty quick.

fact.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

pay for iCloud for 1 month and upload over wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Sounds like a lot of effort for a process that could be done while you sleep.

Also never heard of any apple products working at higher than USB 2 speeds. They support USB C fast charging but that’s about it.

To a Mac you can either use the photos app to offload which works great or you can use airdrop which is pretty quick.
    iPad Pro 10.5 and 12.9 v2 have USB 3.0 enabled lighting ports, the stock cables just aren’t compatible. You need the $50 USB 3.0 adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    pay for iCloud for 1 month and upload over wifi.
    That was my backup plan but the app I got did end up working, it was my fault the transfer stopped because I didn’t know about the 3min app kill rule. Just slower than I’d like due to the wifi limitations of the iPad Pro. 200 gb of iCloud actually is cheaper than google drive or one drive so I might just get that, but it will only be useful for one-offs since it’s not nearly enough storage. Maybe Blackblaze has an app.

All I wanted to be able to do is drag & drop via USB 3.0 into a folder on my PC haha, I wish apple would just allow that. I’d have been done in 1 minute.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    All I wanted to be able to do is drag & drop via USB 3.0 into a folder on my PC haha, I wish apple would just allow that. I’d have been done in 1 minute.
    I'm surprised that doesn't work anymore. That's how I used to backup all my pics and videos before iCloud. I actually just uploaded all my old pics and vids back into iCloud so it's all fully accessible from my devices again.

I swear Apple has some code that detects the user is you and fuck with you endlessly.

I'm surprised that doesn't work anymore. That's how I used to backup all my pics and videos before iCloud. I actually just uploaded all my old pics and vids back into iCloud so it's all fully accessible from my devices again.

I swear Apple has some code that detects the user is you and fuck with you endlessly.
    Haha probably. I tried 2 different lightning cables and when you plug in the iPad to the PC, everything is recognized including the DCIM folder containing all media. Why the drag & drop doesn’t work after that I have no idea. Maybe it still works with some accessory cable I don’t have. I tried both my desktop and laptop and no dice.

I wonder if it would work with my USB 3 camera connector and another USB 3 cable.

My Ride
    95B

HomePod is launching in Canada on June 18th for $449.
    Any one here getting one? I am on the fence on this one. Already have a Sonos at home. But the Voice integration with Homekit is nice
    https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/29/a...449-june-18th/

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

lol thats a lot of money premium to use the markets worst speech recognition system
    Last edited by killramos; 05-29-2018 at 01:16 PM.

fact.

Page 55 of 193 FirstFirst ... 45 54 55 56 65 ... LastLast