Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 137 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 137 of 193 FirstFirst ... 127 136 137 138 147 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 3846

Thread: Apple Thread

Hopefully more people will be reunited with their lost Airpods. I'm surprised Dyson didn't release an airpod vacuum first.

https://www.engadget.com/panasonic-v...110211301.html
    ---

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Believe me, I'd buy and try for sure. But I'm not upgrading the TV in the bedroom. There's literally nothing better for image quality especially now that Vizio is out of the Canadian market. Spending all that without getting Atmos is a little obscene, but yea, it's a sweet clean looking setup especially with the bedside lamps.
    Could you use the Arcana w/apple tv?
    https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Leather cases finally available. $80. Will have to get blue to match my phone. Need to go in to replace my watch band as some of the velcro has come off.
    Otherwise 12 pro is excellent and watch 6 is way better than I expected. So nice to have apps on it instead of nothing available on the samsung.

Magsafe duo though, would be nice for travel and whatnot but $169.........without power adapter so really $194. The 20w charger for $25 seems like a great deal actually though compared to third party options.
    https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...e-duo-charger?

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Just ordered a 128gb mini, going to step down from my 11 pro max and try it out for a bit

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So does every Mac just have the same chip onboard? Is there some segregation of different M1’s?

M1X?

Not sure I would want a MacBook Pro with the same chip as an Air?

Wonder if the new Mini plays nice with external GPU’s.

Really want to see where the performance lands versus the top end i7 and i9 intel systems.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

lol funny how they added the old Apple commercial at the end of that keynote (not sure if it was at the start) with the PC guy.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The difference between the air and pro is sustained loads. No fan on air, once it heats up, it gets throttled. Pro has a fan and sustains full performance.

Pretty much the same deal with last gen as the airs fan was utterly useless.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

I was definitely expecting them to unveil more than just the m1 macs. I was expecting the price of the laptops to decrease slightly, clever apple, extra $$$ for them.
    Base macbook air also only has a 7 core gpu so on top of the $250 for 256gb -> 512 gb you pay an extra $100 to get that eighth core.
    Last edited by schocker; 11-10-2020 at 12:57 PM.

The difference between the air and pro is sustained loads. No fan on air, once it heats up, it gets throttled. Pro has a fan and sustains full performance.

Pretty much the same deal with last gen as the airs fan was utterly useless.
    The current MBP's cannot sustain full performance - they still throttle with the old i7/i9 CPUs they're using as the chassis doesn't have nearly the cooling power required for those CPUs (even full blown gaming laptops struggle to cool those furnaces). You only get full boost clocks for a few seconds and only under certain temperature conditions. Even the 16" MBP cannot maintain it's boost clocks. If you get the i5 models it's a bit better as they take longer to throttle.

Not sure how their own silicon will fare in the thermal department, I guess we'll see.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I don’t think thermals will be the issues with the M1 chips.

What I want to know is how they really compare to i7 and i9 intel versions on peak performance. Not for any practical reason it just helps me gauge thins (value proposition really).

I’ve been eying a mini so with the new cheaper price it might make a fun toy to experiment with.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I don’t think thermals will be the issues with the M1 chips.

What I want to know is how they really compare to i7 and i9 intel versions on peak performance. Not for any practical reason it just helps me gauge thins (value proposition really).

I’ve been eying a mini so with the new cheaper price it might make a fun toy to experiment with.
    The 13” MBP M1 comparisons in the presentation was done against the 1.7ghz quad core i7. MBA comparisons was done against the 1.2ghz quad core i7. Honestly, at $1169 for edu pricing, the MBA seems to be a pretty good deal for a day to day family laptop. It'll just struggle with throttling for intensive games, video editing, etc.

Didn’t pay full attention, but missed out that orders opened right away haha. Guess it’s time to order a MBP for the kid. Looks like intel is completely gone for MBA and gone for 2 port MBPs. Apple seems to be pretty confident that these things will outperform intel counterparts.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea I’m not much into the super thin and light class procs even with i7 badges.

Not because I do any heavy lifting with my computers but it’s just the way I am haha. I want to know if this thing is really workstation capable.

The only MacBook I would ever get for myself is a spec’d out full-size. That’s why I can’t afford macs haha.

I feel like the M1 only replacing low end spec systems essentially answers my question for me.
    Last edited by killramos; 11-10-2020 at 01:56 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea I’m not much into the super thin and light class procs even with i7 badges.

Not because I do any heavy lifting with my computers but it’s just the way I am haha. I want to know if this thing is really workstation capable.

The only MacBook I would ever get for myself is a spec’d out full-size. That’s why I can’t afford macs haha.

I feel like the M1 only replacing low end spec systems essentially answers my question for me.
    Guess you'll have to define what is "workstation capable".

My day to day laptop is an i5 13" MBP and does everything I need. 2 4K external monitors, iPad as 3rd monitor, and about 10 virtual desktops of safari and chrome with a billion tabs lol. Zoom all day long. Memory is my biggest enemy. CPU is only taxed when dealing with massive google sheets.

I have another same spec MBP that's used by our 2nd grader for Google Meet/Classrooms, iMovie 4K editing, Roblox, Minecraft, and Youtube. Runs great. Some history here tho, we originally got a dual core MBA which couldn't cut it because Google Meet is a ridiculous CPU hog. Everything was laggy and unusable when Google Meet was running. Roblox studio was also laggy as hell, CPU and GPU was maxed at 100% all the fucking time, throttled to hell as it got hotter, so we moved to a MBP which met the needs and kicked the MBA down the line.

If the new MBA M1 can handle our 2nd grader's workload, I would've saved $400. If the M1 MBP is truly that much faster than the i7 MBP then this won't be a problem at all for any of our workloads in the house.

Fingers crossed, ordered the M1 MBP 13" with 16GB upgrade for our 8th grader. Fucking Apple RAM prices are ridiculous. Will have a good comparison to our i5 quad core MBP 13" when it shows up.

Does anyone here use MS email (outlook/hotmail/live) on their iPhones? If so is anyone else losing their authentication? Happened to both myself and wife, and even after reauthenticating it loses it again after a little bit. Checked the MS service status page and doesn’t seem to be anything wrong there so I’m thinking it’s an apple problem now.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My work office 365 email seems to be working just fine.

fact.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Confirmation rolling out that M1 based macs do not have eGPU support. At least not at launch.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Confirmation rolling out that M1 based macs do not have eGPU support. At least not at launch.
    Another one, can only drive 1 single external display. That's a no from me dawg, but still good to go for the kids.

Looking at the fine print it looks like Apple's basis for comparison is a ~10W version of one of the worst CPUs you could put in a laptop - I wonder if they did that on purpose so when it came time to compare their own silicon the following year, it would appear favorable.

"Testing conducted by Apple in October 2020 using preproduction MacBook Air systems with Apple M1 chip and 8-core GPU, as well as production 1.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based MacBook Air systems, all configured with 16GB RAM and 2TB SSD. Tested with prerelease Final Cut Pro 10.5 using a 55-second clip with 4K Apple ProRes RAW media, at 4096x2160 resolution and 59.94 frames per second, transcoded to Apple ProRes 422. Performance tests are conducted using specific computer systems and reflect the approximate performance of MacBook"
    Interesting they chose not to publish any benchmarks either which is highly unusual for a CPU release. They don't seem to have much confidence in this M1. I was also trying to see if it had an SMT equivalent but it doesn't look like it, at least so far.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-10-2020 at 04:47 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Looking at the fine print it looks like Apple's basis for comparison is a ~10W version of one of the worst CPUs you could put in a laptop - I wonder if they did that on purpose so when it came time to compare their own silicon the following year, it would appear favorable.

Interesting they chose not to publish any benchmarks either which is highly unusual for a CPU release. They don't seem to have much confidence in this M1. I was also trying to see if it had SMT but it doesn't look like it, at least so far.
    No confidence? They literally discontinued x86 for the MBA 13 and base MBP 13. If anything they might be overconfident.

The comparisons are to last gen fastest MBA 13" and 2 port MBP 13". Of course it's all just bullshit metrics anyways, measuring the worst of one and comparing to the best of the other and saying 3x faster. If the overall experience is faster, I'm happy. Otherwise, dunno what to do cuz x86 are literally gone from the entry level lineup.

You've been super doubtful that a "mobile low TDP cpu" can outperform x86 chips since Apple Silicon was announced. You'll have your answers shortly since these are available next week (custom config 16GB order is 3 weeks for me). I'll be surprised if they're a dud, but won't be surprised if they're just slightly faster than their predecessors.

No confidence? They literally discontinued x86 for the MBA 13 and base MBA 13. If anything they might be overconfident.

The comparisons are to last gen fastest MBA 13" and 2 port MBP 13". Of course it's all just bullshit metrics anyways, measuring the worst of one and comparing to the best of the other and saying 3x faster. If the overall experience is faster, I'm happy. Otherwise, dunno what to do cuz x86 are literally gone from the entry level lineup.
    They discontinued x86 because (apparently) these M1's cost Apple ~$25 instead of ~$150-$250 for an Intel part they would normally use. It's all about profit margin - Apple knows people will buy them no matter what they put in it.

The other issue they were having with Intel was thermals (5nm should help a lot with that), and maybe even Apple got tired of ~6 years with no real CPU performance increase. Either way I am happy to see them give Intel the boot.

My Ride
    Grimace

Costco has airpods pro instore and online currently for $269 for those that want to throw the dice....Applecare is only $30 from costco though so good deal overall.

Page 137 of 193 FirstFirst ... 127 136 137 138 147 ... LastLast