Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 77 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 77 of 193 FirstFirst ... 67 76 77 78 87 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 3846

Thread: Apple Thread

Anyone affected by this?
    https://www.apple.com/support/iphone...ement-program/

I came across it because the touch screen on my X stopped working intermittently over the weekend. It's a new program so you might need to show the Genius bar the article before they will agree to replace it. I have apple care anyways, but nice to see they are replacing it for 3 years even without apple care.

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe I'm jerking it too passionately??
    You're going to want to avoid the new iPad if you bent the old one - guy bends it in half with what looks like surprisingly little force:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/16/ipad-pro-bend-test/

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Another class action on the Macs - something to keep an eye on if you own one:

https://wccftech.com/apple-imac-macb...ilter-lawsuit/

Also, after much testing I believe I have solved the mystery of the glass screen protector on the new (2018) iPad Pros. It has something to do with the iPad being electrically grounded. If you put a tempered glass screen protector on the new iPad Pros, it removes all touch functionality from the iPad unless:

1) You are touching it somehow
    2) It's plugged in

If it's just sitting flat on the table or propped up in a case, all touch functionality is removed. It's the strangest thing as I have never in my life had an issue with glass screen protectors on any device before, including other iPads.

You can test this by trying to type with nothing touching the iPad (it won't register anything), but then touching the side of the ipad gently with a finger from your other hand, and voila, touch response is restored.

I don't know what the solution is, but at least I believe I have identified the issue. I've been through approximately 10 different tempered glass screen protectors now and they all behave identically.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Don't use a glass screen protector?

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Don't use a glass screen protector?
    Far, far too anal for that haha. One speck of sediment under that apple pencil tip and you've got a giant scratch on the screen.

The couple times I have tried to go without one has always resulted in scratches, even when stored in microfiber, babied, etc. I remember my old iPhone 4S I used for work, I literally kept it in a bubble wrap sleeve in my backpack when not in use, and the front/back was covered in scratches by the end of it's life.

Also, this new iPad bends so incredibly easily that anything I can add to increase it's rigidity is a good thing.

There are some traditional films available but all the good ones I have seen are matte, try to mimic the feel of paper for drawers, or do not work well with the pencil unfortunately.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

What is everyone’s take on the extra 2gb of ram in the 1 gig? Will it be noticeable with photo/video editing? Reviews online like iphonedo mostly seem to point in the direction of it being there for the larger ssd, but I am wondering if full photoshop or ios13 will make better use of it.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    What is everyone’s take on the extra 2gb of ram in the 1 gig? Will it be noticeable with photo/video editing? Reviews online like iphonedo mostly seem to point in the direction of it being there for the larger ssd, but I am wondering if full photoshop or ios13 will make better use of it.
    You mean in the 1TB?

It's not a big deal because you can't do any kind of batch processing or or do most things that are common in a professional photo workflow in the iPad Pros. The only time you might need the extra ram is if you work with dozens and dozens of layers. Everything I've read/seen so far has been mostly anecdotal but nobody seems to be able to tell a difference. The benchmarks I have seen actually had the 1TB versions behind by a tiny amount, but not to any degree that you would ever notice.

The price of the 1TB is just so outrageous that it's not worth it IMO. If you're going to spend that kind of money you can get a laptop with way more power and a dramatically higher editing capability, albeit with a larger form factor.

I mostly use mine to edit 4K video footage in LumaFusion but I also have Affinity and Photoshop/Lightroom for photos. In my experience for photo editing, the odd casual vacation edit is all it's good for because almost every part of my workflow from start to finish is simply impossible or not supported on the iPad Pros and that includes the "full" version Photoshop that is coming in 2019.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-30-2018 at 10:47 AM.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Yes 1tb, mind was too focused on work lol. I really wish I could just expand the storage space externally but Apple really seems to want that sweet upgrade money, and won’t be opening those gates any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    Yes 1tb, mind was too focused on work lol. I really wish I could just expand the storage space externally but Apple really seems to want that sweet upgrade money, and won’t be opening those gates any time soon.
    They either want you to pay an obscene premium for internal storage, or hook you into monthly iCloud storage subscription. Almost unbelievably, one thing you can't do is simply plug a flash drive or external hard drive in the bottom of the iPad and drag/transfer files, which is the most basic of tasks. Downloading photos from a memory card also leaves you with choice but to go through the Photos app, which is fine for general storage but inconvenient for pretty much everything else - you can't even view file info or EXIF data with it, or compare multiple photos side-by-side for culling. USB-C is great and all, but most of the things that make the USB interface so desirable aren't currently possible on the iPad Pro.

You can, however, get a $10 USB-C to USB-A 3.0 OTG adapter and run memory card readers with it without needing auxiliary power like the previous iPad Pro's required, but you still need a dongle. I have this and it works well:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the iPad Pro (11") because there simply are no alternatives for what I use it for without moving to something like a Surface, but it really has outgrown the mobile OS. The 20+ page threads on bent iPad Pro's have also ensured that I keep a hard case and tempered glass screen protector on it at all times, and I would be scared to put it in a backpack or any kind of sleeve/pocket that might get some force on it.

It's really not a platform I would ever recommend to someone for photo editing, especially if you have a large number of photos and/or are used to things you're able to do in real Photoshop/Lightroom. Video editing on the other hand, I have found it to be quite convenient for my drone footage while on holidays (LumaFusion). It will handle 10bit 4K H265 video. Other than that it's just my couch surfer (internet, banking, YouTube, Amazon, etc.) and backup device while traveling. YouTube looks really bad on the Pro's because Google and Apple can't agree on a codec so you're limited to 1080P which is way below the native resolution, but other than that the Google suite of apps is pretty great on the iPad. I think where the Pro really shines is if you are into drawing or apps like Procreate, traditional note taking, etc. If I was still in University I think I'd be getting a lot more out of it.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

One thing I love about my current mini is remote shooting on my camera, the canon connect app is surprisingly good. It works great for setting up the framing I want, then adjusting all settings with a much better screen readout to see the changes in real time. The one major downside is that i have to work with 2mp files unless I load the photos in via the photos app, and wait forever while the entire content of the card is rendered.

I actually really like Lightroom cc, and would love to have faster upload speeds for editing while mobile. As an interface I really do like the iPad, am still mulling over the spec that would work best for me. In hand the 12.9 seems like it would be a lot more useful for multi tasking and getting closer detail, plus I have a mini if I need something easier to carry around. The bend test is certainly top of mind, my iPad mini fits in the side pocket of my camera bag, if I took a fall, no big deal. If I had the 11 or 12.9, I think Apple care would be an absolute must have.

The 12.9 is still too big IMHO, and it bends even more easily than the 11", which can literally be broken completely in half just using your fingers if the YouTube videos are any indication. The aspect ratio on the 11" is in my opinion better suited for photo/video editing and media consumption, which was a factor in my decision. The 4:3 ratio on the 12.9" is not really better for anything except reading/drawing and better multi-task real estate. Just personally I found the 11" to be the sweet spot for size, and it is much more suited for 1-handed use which I also do a lot. It also fits into most of my camera bags / cases which the 12.9" would not. The other factor was cost, the 12.9" + decent storage + AppleCare is absurdly overpriced. The kind of laptop you can get for that money really puts things into perspective. The previous generation Pro's feel like they are much better built so I think Apple increased their profit margins this time around. As long as it's in a rigid case I wouldn't worry too much about bending it, but I'd also keep it out of any backpack compartments that create pressure points.

I went with 256GB and at least for now I am paying for 200GB of iCloud. I got it just to transfer stuff from one iPad to another but haven't canceled it yet.

Just for my personal usage, I can't edit photos on my iPad because:
    - No batch processing
    - No file system
    - You can't use plug-ins
    - You can't quickly compare/cull photos
    - You can't calibrate the screen
    - You can't use custom color profiles for photos
    - Working with high volumes of RAW photos is a nightmare

That is literally my entire workflow haha. But like I said if I just have an image I want to mess around with on holiday, I can pop into Affinity or Lightroom CC and play with the sliders for a quick RAW edit. And I actually find video editing to be great using third party apps.

The camera control apps are cool, I have them for both Nikon and Sony as well. It's also good for showing clients previews of shoots or to get a quick approval on a photo.

My Ride
    rally pig

Any Iphone X owners noticed that colors on their phone looked off after updating to IOS 12?
    I never noticed this until Monday when I was comparing the X and XS side by side, max brightness, no reduced white point and I could see that my X was less saturated.

Quick google search confirms that I'm not the only one that noticed this.
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...rated.2138771/

note: I was comparing same websites and pictures between the X and XS
    Last edited by taemo; 12-13-2018 at 04:28 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

Here's 2 pictures I took of my X and the XS side by side

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

XS looks less saturated and better to my eye in both photos. It's definitely noticeable.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Probably a tweak to the auto white balance algorithm. Which I believe can be disabled if you want.

Can’t say I noticed.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

XS is definitely softer. Not sure I like it more though.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Probably a tweak to the auto white balance algorithm. Which I believe can be disabled if you want.

Can’t say I noticed.

the only settings that I could think would affect the display quality and colors are
    Brightness
    True Tone
    Night Shift (off)
    Reduce White Point (off)
    Color Filters (off)
    Increase Contrast (off although on doesn't look to make a difference for pictures)

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...rop_in_screen/

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think the white balance is Trutone
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I think the white balance is Trutone
    yes, I have it on as off you will get a cooler display.

you can see on the 2 pictures I posted above both my X (left) and XS (right) both running the same display settings but the X having less contrast and saturation.
    my wife was thinking maybe my screen protector has something to do but I highly doubt it.

Page 77 of 193 FirstFirst ... 67 76 77 78 87 ... LastLast