Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 27 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 27 of 193 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    Grimace

I am going to get my sister to order mine through the ahs apple store as I convinced her to buy my 9.7. Not sure if you have issues maybe you can just exchange it at the apple store instead of bestbuy? Not sure how that works as my apple stuff is all from the apple store. BB does suck though and I always hate them after sending my switch out late.

Yeah I have over $700 in GC's to BestBuy otherwise I would have never bought it there, and I haven't found anything else I wanted there for a long time so this seemed like the best thing to use it on. Just pissed that had I ordered it 3 hours later than I did, it would be delivered tomorrow instead of a week from today, for exactly the same $20 shipping surcharge. Then they wouldn't let me cancel the order even though it hadn't shipped yet and my CC hadn't been charged for the balance yet. What a joke.

I played with one at the apple store yesterday and it was pretty nice. The smaller bezels make it look 1000 times better than the outgoing version, and like something that is actually from 2017. Promotion was noticeable but nearly like it had been hyped. Only thing that really stood out was the speakers seemed very quiet even at full volume, and I tried variety of games and apps like garage band - I wonder if there will end up being an issue with these as several people are reporting speaker issues already (i.e. much quieter than the 9.7).

My Ride
    Grimace

Yeah, I cant imagine why the speakers would be quieter than on hte 9.7 unless it is something to do with the bezels maybe? Will probably go to the store this weekend to check it out though. Still waiting for UAG to release a case also as the leather one looks nice but it is $180

No idea about the speakers - hopefully I just don't have any issues and then I can forget about it haha.

Yeah the OEM cases are hilariously priced. I just got this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Lightweight-Tr...ipad+10.5+case

Cheap enough I can change it out if I don't like it. The UAG cases look fantastic - not cheap but cheaper than OEM still.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I don't know what you are worried about. Apple takes care of their customers.

Buy it with a legit receipt from anywhere and then only deal with the apple store. Never go to BestBuy again. Get AppleCare+ right away and enjoy your tablet. If something goes legitimately wrong, bring it to the apple store and they will replace it.

I ask you to get any other tablet, save for the Surface, where you can go into an actual store and get it serviced / replaced. Samsung? good luck with that.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know what you are worried about. Apple takes care of their customers.

Buy it with a legit receipt from anywhere and then only deal with the apple store. Never go to BestBuy again. Get AppleCare+ right away and enjoy your tablet. If something goes legitimately wrong, bring it to the apple store and they will replace it.

I ask you to get any other tablet, save for the Surface, where you can go into an actual store and get it serviced / replaced. Samsung? good luck with that.
    You don't even need a receipt. As long as the device is not stolen, and still within warranty period, Apple store will treat you the exact same as if you bought it from their store. They know the device history.

I thought we covered this 2 or 3 pages back? haha
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Believe me I would have rather bough it directly from Apple, and I'd have had it for two days already. In this case I had over $700 of GC to use at Best Buy, so it was hard to justify buying it anywhere else. Return period is till 14 days, if I run into any major issues I will just exchange it, and if I have further issues I will just return it and purchase directly from Apple. Chances are the first one I get will be fine anyway. I hadn't planned to get Apple care because I baby my stuff and if something goes wrong in the first year I am covered anyway (with a second year added by my credit card). So far I've not had an issue with any device where something like AppleCare+ would have saved me, knock on wood. If I change my mind I can still add it - Best Buy ended up giving me 10% off my entire order after my third call trying to get them to cancel my order, so I can use that $100 either for the Pencil or Apple Care if I want.

Do I need to take it to the Apple store before I open it if I decide to add Apple Care+?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

It can be open and you can even do it over the phone if you want.

We never said get it from Apple directly. Get it from where you want. Apple will take care of you.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    You don't even need a receipt. As long as the device is not stolen, and still within warranty period, Apple store will treat you the exact same as if you bought it from their store. They know the device history.

I thought we covered this 2 or 3 pages back? haha
    Sometimes if you get an Apple employee who loves Apple so much he or she will be eager to please another Apple user, you don't even need to be within the warranty period. I once brought in a Macbook that was 2 or 3 years out of warranty and they replaced the keyboard and screen bezel and gave me a replacement battery all for free haha

Of course, this was a few years ago and the Apple store is so busy now they probably don't give a fuck anymore, but you never know!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Sometimes if you get an Apple employee who loves Apple so much he or she will be eager to please another Apple user, you don't even need to be within the warranty period. I once brought in a Macbook that was 2 or 3 years out of warranty and they replaced the keyboard and screen bezel and gave me a replacement battery all for free haha

Of course, this was a few years ago and the Apple store is so busy now they probably don't give a fuck anymore, but you never know!
    Nah, we talked about this a few pages back. My ipad was out of warranty and the volume button stopped working. Got a new ipad air 2.

Sounds good, thanks guys. Maybe I will just use my $100 discount for Apple Care. I take it to the gym so if it fell off my machine and smashed I would not be happy haha. I'm also extremely pick about displays, if there is any bleed, yellow cast, etc. I will be exchanging it right away - I'm not sure if AppleCare+ would help me out there if there was a disagreement over the severity of a particular issue.

I will probably risk it and try iOS 11 right away - seems like it's more stable on the tablets than it is the phones.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-15-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    It can be open and you can even do it over the phone if you want.
    don't think you can do it over the phone... pretty sure it has to be within 30 days of purchase and they need to see it in person to confirm it isn't already broken.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    don't think you can do it over the phone... pretty sure it has to be within 30 days of purchase and they need to see it in person to confirm it isn't already broken.
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202702

You buy it online without ever seeing anyone. It runs a diagnostics test remotely. Probably won't detect a broken screen. Not sure if it detects high g forces though.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202702

You buy it online without ever seeing anyone. It runs a diagnostics test remotely. Probably won't detect a broken screen. Not sure if it detects high g forces though.
    hmm interesting. thats what i was told about 5 years ago when i called in to get applecare after i got a phone through Rogers but i guess things have changed... probably because they have better remote diagnostic tools.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I was just reading that Apple was granted some patents this last week(68 of them) and looks like they have figured out how to put a fingerprint reader on a top/side mounted button. The wife and I both need new phones, so the 8 cannot come out soon enough.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    I was just reading that Apple was granted some patents this last week(68 of them) and looks like they have figured out how to put a fingerprint reader on a top/side mounted button. The wife and I both need new phones, so the 8 cannot come out soon enough.
    They sure snaked sony on that one. The new hotness is inscreen fingerprint readers, but everyone is having issues implementing them. Note 8 was supposed to get one, but still issues so not until at least GS9.

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    That's been around for a while now on non-Apple phones. Apple was trying to get it under the front display, but rumors are they were having issues with good yields. No clue how far they got, I guess we'll see with the iPhone 8 in September if it isn't delayed.

Finally came in yesterday. Overall it's pretty good.

My observations & questions after a few hours with it:

- It's a great size and it's pretty fast, but I have seen a fair bit of stuttering within the OS, and scrolling news pages is choppy while simultaneously loading light content. Hopefully that was just because the device was new and setting itself up.
    -I can't tell if my Promotion is working, you definitely cannot read text while scrolling, but the pen seems to have pretty low lag so it's hopefully OK
    - The screen is way over-hyped. If you're used to higher PPI OLED you won't be impressed. Thankfully I have a very even panel with little to no light bleed, no yellow patches, and the aluminium casing is ruler-straight which seems to be another issue people are having.
    - I can't tell if my screen is slightly blurry, or if the 264 PPI is just not enough for that display. Sometimes I think it's OK, but every now and then I either see pixels or something looks blurry. It almost looks like it's running the 9.7" resolution for everything outside the OS still which might explain it if it has to scale everything up slightly. I do wish it was higher resolution as I am used to double the PPI and it is quite noticeable.
    - Touch ID is noticeably slower than what I am used to, and I think it was dumb to use a physical button when the iP7 already has a faster 'button' that would eliminate another failure point. $1000 tablet should not be cutting corners like that especially when the part is already available in the Apple parts bin.
    - I really wish there was no huge camera bump - on a device designed to be used flat often (for drawing or photo editing), that is quite the oversight IMO to have it rolling around on the camera lens. Most people use cases so it becomes less of a problem, but I'd way rather have had an extra few thousand mAh in the battery and a flush camera lens from a 1-2mm thicker device.
    - Speakers are very good, about as loud as my Nexus 9 which is very loud. Some people said they were quieter than the 9.7 pro but I don't have one to compare to so I'm happy.
    - The pen works quite well and is well built, I hope I find more uses for it as time goes on but it's nice even for browsing because it's very precise. It was cool how plugging it to the iPad in pairs it automatically.
    - Overall a nice piece of hardware, and nobody else is really making a high end tablet these days so this is the best option at the moment. I just really wish they didn't cut the corners they did for the price they are charging.

I have a few questions, hopefully they are just settings:
    1) Lots of apps just look like blown up phone apps. The font is massive, as if I had set the tablet up for my Grandma. In iOS settings I have the font set to the smallest level but it doesn't seem to carry over into any apps. Some Apps that say they use the global device setting for font size do not. Facebook and Twitter in particular look absolutely massive, but maybe they just aren't well made for the iPad - one post takes up the entire screen. Is that normal? I was expecting high profile apps like this to actually be designed for the iPad.

2) Gmail is blurry, and I can't tell if something is wrong or if the app is still trying to use the 9.7" resolution. Email text is also not vectored, so when you zoom in on an email, everything just gets super blurry (this does not happen on the Android app). Chrome works properly though, and you can zoom in on text and it stays sharp like a vector, so I assumed Gmail would too. Is that normal? One solution could be to just link my gmail to the iOS Mail app which would probably be fine. Facebook is blurry too, quite noticeably so compared to other apps or any of the OS menus.

3) If I want to open a photo from Google Photos in Lightroom, how do I do that? It only seems to allow me to browse iOS folders for photos, videos, etc. I imagine this will be easier in iOS 11 regardless.

4) Within apps, icons, buttons, photos, etc. are often blurry and do not scale to the resolution, even if the text does - is that normal? It happens in some fairly major apps like BBC, CBC, etc. It does not happen in Google Play News Stand thankfully as I use that one a lot.

5) Is the camera lens covering sapphire or gorilla glass? It's probably going to take a beating and I would like to know how careful I need to be with it. SOLVED: Yes it is sapphire.

6) Can I change default apps, like email to Gmail and Chrome for internet? The Chrome browser for the iPad is actually fantastic and I would prefer that to be my default.

7) Is there a way to scale down the home screens or the entire tablet in general? I'd like to see twice as many apps per page without so much space between them, and generally I'd like to see more on the screen than I do across various apps because so many things are unnecessarily huge. Android has a way to do this so I'm sure iOS does too, I just can't find it.

Overall I like it quite a bit, and I find the size to be almost perfect. By far my biggest complaint is how some text in apps is so enormous it's almost comical, there's no obvious way to fix that, and I have a feeling several apps I downloaded are trying to use the 9.7" resolution because it is noticeably blurry. Either that or the fact there is no dedicated back button - having to scroll every page down and reach to the top left just to go 'back' is unbelievably inefficient and slows everything way down. Very few apps seem to have built in text size options and many of the apps I like do not seem to be tailored to the iPad. Looking forward to playing with it some more and hopefully figuring out some of these resolution issues.

Outside of apps, sharp:

Inside apps, looks like a bargain basement tablet:
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-21-2017 at 04:16 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

A9X and A10 were 16nm (Samsung didn't get the contract on them for 14nm), A10X and A11 are rumored TMSC 10nm but who knows till they're both out in the wild.
    Confirmed A10X is TMSC 10nm.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/30/a10x-...p/#more-489678

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Took my glitchy/dead phone to Apple finally. The tech spent 10 minutes trying to get it to turn on / restore it from his computer and it wouldn't do anything so they just swapped it with a new phone and on my way.

Now to re set everything up because I never bothered to do a proper backup, ugh.

Page 27 of 193 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast