Apple Thread - Page 88 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 88 of 192 FirstFirst ... 78 87 88 89 98 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 3838

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The same reason people have been trading their cars in at dealerships, instead of privately selling, for decades.
    This, except it doesn't feel like you're getting screwed quite as badly. Maybe Apple uses really good lube.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    This, except it doesn't feel like you're getting screwed quite as badly. Maybe Apple uses really good lube.
    Or it's because it's a difference of $200 vs thousands haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    200 bucks for hours of kijidiots.

Hard no.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Yeah, there's that too.

I'm looking at the XR seriously now that they dropped the new retail SRP.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    200 bucks for hours of kijidiots.

Hard no.
    That's why I just hand down my phones to family. So not worth my time.

I get the XI, wife gets the current XS, Mother gets the wife's X, son gets my Mothers 7 Plus and then Daughter gets son's 6.

When the XIS comes out next year, the 6 is basically worthless (arguably worthless now), so it gets recycled.

I didn't have time to really read about any of the new hardware until now but the announcements were pretty meh IMO.

Very disappointing they put a 4 year old CPU in the all-new iPad IMHO - even the Mini gets at least the A12. I thought they would do a bit better than that tbh.

As for the phones, it doesn't seem like they did much more than play catchup. Extra camera is cool but nothing new (software and quality TBD but probably good) but it looks like no OIS on the 13mm. The 24MP mode will be cool if they can do so with no distortion or artifacts. Nice to see they finally added a night mode. I wish they would have gone with USB-C but at least now it seems they are throwing in a 18W charger which is nice. Screens look really good, I am curious who is making them this time around - still only 60Hz though unless I missed something, which will put it behind again this year in that department. Looks like they finally gave up completely on 3D touch too and are doing what everyone else is with haptic. I think this announcement is equivalent to an "S" though so next year should be the bigger update.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    That's why I just hand down my phones to family. So not worth my time.

I get the XI, wife gets the current XS, Mother gets the wife's X, son gets my Mothers 7 Plus and then Daughter gets son's 6.

When the XIS comes out next year, the 6 is basically worthless (arguably worthless now), so it gets recycled.
    I do this too. It's all fun and games till someone cracks a screen out of warranty lol.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The one I am scared about is the X. The 6 was ok, had to replace one of those. 7 was under apple care. Neither the X or the XS have used apple care. Apple is making money this round.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I didn't have time to really read about any of the new hardware until now but the announcements were pretty meh IMO.

Very disappointing they put a 4 year old CPU in the all-new iPad IMHO - even the Mini gets at least the A12. I thought they would do a bit better than that tbh.

As for the phones, it doesn't seem like they did much more than play catchup. .
    Thats what Apple has been doing sine IP4 - always a gen behind. They let others develop new hardware technology and then come in year or two later and buy it for cheap.

Its not really up to Apple to innovate - they are playing the safe, long game.

So if you dont care about old technology and love the Apple eco system (where they control pretty much everything on your device), its for you.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

As for the phones, it doesn't seem like they did much more than play catchup. Extra camera is cool but nothing new (software and quality TBD but probably good) but it looks like no OIS on the 13mm. The 24MP mode will be cool if they can do so with no distortion or artifacts. Nice to see they finally added a night mode. I wish they would have gone with USB-C but at least now it seems they are throwing in a 18W charger which is nice. Screens look really good, I am curious who is making them this time around - still only 60Hz though unless I missed something, which will put it behind again this year in that department. Looks like they finally gave up completely on 3D touch too and are doing what everyone else is with haptic. I think this announcement is equivalent to an "S" though so next year should be the bigger update.
    lol it's not a new iPad Pro man, it's an entry level as cheap as fucking possible iPad.

Agreed tho the rest of the presentation was meh. I don't really remember the last time I took a pic and said to myself that I needed to go wider. The rest is 100% Pixel computational ripoff. The 24MP mode is basically the Pixel's software zoom, but instead of using it to zoom since it has telephoto already, it's used for high MP details. Wide angle portrait bokeh looks nice, that's one thing that I wish I had on the XS.

The big game changer for me tho is video. The camera switching seems to be more seamless, there's stabilization in 4K/60 (only 1080p with stabilization on current which is a bummer), and XDR. Hopefully tied with the ability to non destructive correct videos in Photos, should be able to do simple grading to make vacation videos pop even more.

Nobody needs a phone in my family this year, so I'm on the fence.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Thats what Apple has been doing sine IP4 - always a gen behind. They let others develop new hardware technology and then come in year or two later and buy it for cheap.

Its not really up to Apple to innovate - they are playing the safe, long game.

So if you dont care about old technology and love the Apple eco system (where they control pretty much everything on your device), its for you.
    This is retarded. Innovation comes from everyone, including Apple, while everyone copies. I mean just look at FaceID, it was the first system secure enough to be used for secure payments. Everyone is still catching up relying on fingerprint scanners and using face recognition only for unlocks (Google catches up with Pixel 4 apparently).

Apple doesn't buy it for cheap. Doubt they paid google ripping off all their computational shit for the 11 Pro haha.

lol it's not a new iPad Pro man, it's an entry level as cheap as fucking possible iPad.

Agreed tho the rest of the presentation was meh. I don't really remember the last time I took a pic and said to myself that I needed to go wider. The rest is 100% Pixel computational ripoff. The 24MP mode is basically the Pixel's software zoom, but instead of using it to zoom since it has telephoto already, it's used for high MP details. Wide angle portrait bokeh looks nice, that's one thing that I wish I had on the XS.

The big game changer for me tho is video. The camera switching seems to be more seamless, there's stabilization in 4K/60 (only 1080p with stabilization on current which is a bummer), and XDR. Hopefully tied with the ability to non destructive correct videos in Photos, should be able to do simple grading to make vacation videos pop even more.

Nobody needs a phone in my family this year, so I'm on the fence.
    I dunno, I think a ~4 year old CPU is pretty damn weak and it's really not that cheap given how old the hardware is. You're better off buying a used 10.5 Pro for the same or less money. The new Mini even got the A12 which is two full generations newer. It's not like they would have lost a single sale of their other models with the A11 in there. Judging by the old Mini 4, in a couple years it will be slow AF and you can pay over $700 for it depending on spec. Everyone else gave up on high-end tables though, so Apple has free reign to milk the market.

Haha you are still going to end up getting one, even I know that

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

That cheap iPad is for volume sales ( think we are giving everyone in the organization iPads ) and kids.

They will sell boatloads of them and it’s a welcome update at that price point.

Not everyone is cool with buying used electronics on kijiji, there is value to having warranty and support.

I can’t justify buying the 11 Pro, not that it isn’t a great phone. Just that it doesn’t materially move the needle for me from my X. If I wait until next year at least it will be 5G compatible. I think this gives more credit to the X actually, this is easily the longest I will have gone without a new iPhone.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

This is retarded. Innovation comes from everyone, including Apple, while everyone copies. I mean just look at FaceID, it was the first system secure enough to be used for secure payments. Everyone is still catching up relying on fingerprint scanners and using face recognition only for unlocks (Google catches up with Pixel 4 apparently).

Apple doesn't buy it for cheap. Doubt they paid google ripping off all their computational shit for the 11 Pro haha.
    There are a lot of people who don't like Face ID so much so that they are holding onto really old iPhones. It's definitely polarizing, just like notches and several other things. I personally do not like it at all and wish my iPad Pro had a fingerprint sensor on the back or edge or something. If the P4 doesn't have a flawless and instant implementation of it, I will be disappointed and wishing for the fingerprint sensor back for sure. The biggest problem with Apple's implementation is it's not as fast as modern fingerprint sensors, and the fact that it still requires physical input to get to the home screen which is super annoying and largely defeats the purpose (maybe iOS 13 changes that?). Also I don't believe it works in every orientation unless something changed recently. On my iPad Pro 11, to make a purchase it still asks me to double tap the power button after face ID which is annoying extra input - maybe you can disable that though.

Face ID and retina scans have been in phones long before Apple implemented it and whose implementation is the best will always be debatable. I know you could fool the Samsung one with an exact iris replica somehow printed directly onto a contact lens, and there are lots of stories of Apple's Face ID failing or allowing a stranger or even a different gender to unlock. Neither are completely secure, but the effort required to fool either is high enough that it doesn't really matter 99.9% of the time.

On the P4 on the hardware side I am most interested in project Soli, as that will be the first truly innovative thing added to a phone in at least a few years IMO (if it works as people are expecting). The rest is looking pretty standard, other than maybe the 90Hz display. Google's assistant will also be able to handle on-hold calls for you now which is kind of cool - I already use the call screen feature all the time and it's great.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

So what would be the current main competitors to the 11 Pro? I haven’t really followed the android releases. Galaxy S10+? Or is a S11 due soon, and I guess the Huawei P20 Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    So what would be the current main competitors to the 11 Pro? I haven’t really followed the android releases. Galaxy S10+? Or is a S11 due soon, and I guess the Huawei P20 Pro?
    S10 / S10+, Note 10, Pixel 4/4XL. Could probably add the Huawei P30 Pro to the mix.

Samsung updates in March/April (6-7 months before the 11), and Google updates in October (P4 announcement Oct 15).

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

There are a lot of people who don't like Face ID so much so that they are holding onto really old iPhones.
    Sounds like a peasant excuse to me!

Face ID and retina scans have been in phones long before Apple implemented it and whose implementation is the best will always be debatable. I know you could fool the Samsung one with an exact iris replica somehow printed directly onto a contact lens, and there are lots of stories of Apple's Face ID failing or allowing a stranger or even a different gender to unlock. Neither are completely secure, but the effort required to fool either is high enough that it doesn't really matter 99.9% of the time.
    Yea that's why I specifically mentioned secure enough to allow payment. The big litmus test when banks clear it as secure. At the time of FaceID's release, Samsung's implementation could be tricked to unlock with your facebook picture.

What you bring up is a good point though, Apple isn't always the first because competitors throw out half baked solutions just to be first. Samsung's Face Unlock on the S8 was literally released as a useless feature just to be first by 6 months. It was comical how bad it was. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain no other face unlock allow NFC payments today still?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Give Apple creds that they are keeping low cost options which they weren't before. iPhone 11 is $50 cheaper than Xr and cheap iPad actually get smart connector and it would be the cheapest device that get you 1 year of Apple TV+.

A13 seems powerful to an already great A12. Video editing and processing is still quicker on iOS devices. I don't see anything from Android world that can keep up on these fronts even if other technical specs are inferior/lagging from Apple.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

S10 / S10+, Note 10, Pixel 4/4XL. Could probably add the Huawei P30 Pro to the mix.

Samsung updates in March/April (6-7 months before the 11), and Google updates in October (P4 announcement Oct 15).
    Is the P30 Pro Android with the App Store though? I thought they lost it. Also thanks, I’m hoping to snag a decent deal on Boxing Day so probably Pixel 4 vs S10+ vs 11 pro

Page 88 of 192 FirstFirst ... 78 87 88 89 98 ... LastLast