Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 144 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 144 of 192 FirstFirst ... 134 143 144 145 154 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,880 of 3838

Thread: Apple Thread

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe apple has the device margins to pull that off. But Telus and Rogers? No way they are making $500+ Margins per new phone on trade to be able to shred the ones they are getting back.
    I know Fido sells refurbished phones, but they are usually newer models only so I assume they sell the older phones to recyclers/repair shops as well.
    ---

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    I know Fido sells refurbished phones, but they are usually newer models only so I assume they sell the older phones to recyclers/repair shops as well.
    New iPhone 12 Pro Max - $41.46/mo
    New iPhone 11 Pro Max - $40.00/mo
    Used iPhone 11 Pro Max - $38.96/mo

Straight off Telus’s website. Who the hell is buying these old phones when they are the same price as a new one lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Puget just put some testing out which is one thing I was waiting for, but unfortunately it's a bit odd - they compared the M1 MBP/MBA to desktop PCs which might be useful to some people but I would have preferred to see them compared to other laptops:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar.../#Introduction

Conclusion:

From a performance standpoint, the new Apple M1 MacBooks do fairly well considering that they are using a complete processor based around the ARM instruction set and software that is likely not fully optimized yet. But compared to a typical desktop workstation from Puget Systems that is around 2-3x faster on average (albeit at a higher cost), they certainly can't keep up.

These units only cost around $1,500 as configured, however, so the fact that they are half the performance shouldn't be unexpected since they are also half the cost. What will be very interesting to see is how performance will shake out as Adobe improves support for native Apple Silicon and when (or if) Apple launches a higher-end laptop - or even better, a more powerful desktop variant than the Mac Mini.

Another way to look at it is that these new MacBooks (and presumably the Mac Mini) are roughly equivalent to a desktop that is around 4-5 years old. So if you have a PC from 2015 or 2016, be aware that these MacBooks likely won't be any faster. Comparing laptops to desktops in somewhat of an "apples to oranges" comparison since they are really different tools for different jobs, but if you are thinking about moving from a desktop to an Apple MacBook, hopefully, that provides a bit of context for what you can expect in terms of performance.

Overall, this move to ARM is very interesting, and something we are going to be keeping a close eye on. We have recently seen what can happen when two companies (AMD and Intel) are highly competitive, and throwing a third player into the mix should only be a good thing for both Mac and PC users.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Puget just put some testing out which is one thing I was waiting for, but unfortunately it's a bit odd - they compared the M1 MBP/MBA to desktop PCs which might be useful to some people but I would have preferred to see them compared to other laptops:

Conclusion:
    Sorry, I find it comical you're referencing a review of the M1 Macbooks by a company to compare against their own products that they're selling on the same page.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I'm just weirded out that Apple users think that 256 gb is enough memory. I have more on my phone. I'm hoping for a BF deal now.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Sorry, I find it comical you're referencing a review of the M1 Macbooks by a company to compare against their own products that they're selling on the same page.
    MacBook Air versus brand new top end Ryzen GTX3080 systems

Nuff said

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Our teenaged son came home from school after using the MBP M1 all day. Used up 40% of battery.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I'm just weirded out that Apple users think that 256 gb is enough memory. I have more on my phone. I'm hoping for a BF deal now.
    It's probably because we're all so reliant on iCloud.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Conclusion:
    Not really unbias tho. This could be the beginning of the end of the x86 platform which is what their business is based on.

And the fact that Apple has not replaced high end Mac Pros probably for this reason. But once all the apps are rewritten, the can probably dial the performance up with more cores or gpu performance.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-19-2020 at 05:16 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Not really unbias tho. This could be the beginning of the end of the x86 platform.
    For Macs sure. I mean on the Windows side, Windows has an ARM version and is terrible. Combination of poor ARM CPUs and Windows ARM running x86 apps poorly (and 32-bit only for now). The PC side needs to catch up on both hardware and software.

Nvidia buying ARM might accelerate that, but it's a long path for Windows to move from x86 to ARM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Nvidia buying ARM might accelerate that, but it's a long path for Windows to move from x86 to ARM.
    They will lose that market like they lost the phone market. x86 emulation sucks on Windows on ARM. x64 emulation is coming but I don't think they will do any better.

Rosetta 2 has been impressive. Hope they can reverse engineer that and apply it to windows.

Just look at TF2 running on M1 thru Crossover and Rosetta 2.

My Ride

Wow. Now I am as much of an Apple fanboi as I am a Tesla fanboi. 2020 is weird af.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Something I have been pondering. Wtf happens with all these bring it back phone lease phones?

I’ll bet you take up on the programs is high, lower up front cost and lower monthly costs at 0% financing. Why bother with any other plan.

But there must just be warehouses of these old phones sitting somewhere, you can’t honestly tell me Telus et al is selling every one they get back in as refurbished for a few dollars a month less than a new next gen phone costs.

Apple has had iPhone upgrade going for years in the states, where are all these phones going?

International markets?

Just my continual flabbergastedness at the prices of used cell phones these days.
    To add to this, I read that starting with the iPhone 12, Apple has engineered the device so as when disassembled and reassembled, there are functions that are lost.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-iP....501402.0.html
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

I prefaced my post by saying it was odd and I would have preferred something else, but some people may find it interesting. I'm not sure what wasn't clear about that. It was an interesting read, nothing more. It's just a data point. I am genuinely curious how all this stuff compares and thought others may be as well.

Puget has a long history of objective testing and other prominent reviewers use Puget's custom benchmarks. They are not like HP or Dell, the PCs they sell are simply collections of standard off-the-shelf hardware anyone can buy. They use their testing to decide what parts to offer people in their custom systems, that is why they do it. There is no reason to believe it's any more or less biased than a site that makes revenue off ads, affiliate links, and traffic who would benefit from publishing erroneous results to generate buzz, or who may have received free review hardware from a manufacturer.

If you have a source that does thorough testing for various CPUs and GPUs that doesn't advertise or benefit in any way from anything they are reviewing I'd be very interested to see if it's significantly different from everyone else's testing.

MacBook Air versus brand new top end Ryzen GTX3080 systems

Nuff said
    The AnandTech review posted earlier (who directly benefit from affiliate links to the products they review) tested the MBA against similar desktop hardware, I didn't see any complaints from anyone about that. I also think it's an interesting comparison because a shocking number of people on the internet appear to be looking at Geekbench and thinking an M1 equipped machine can replace their workstation.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The extra comical part is that they aren't even comparing apples to oranges. Not only do the systems they compare to have dedicated Vid cards, they are also double the price. They only sell desktops... so, you have no issues with heat. It's not a data point that provides value.

"Oh look, Toyota just released a new corolla with a new 2.0L motor. Let me compare it to my custom built 4.0L V8 Quad turbo with giant intercooler double the cost car and see how it compares. Oh, it's twice as fast on race gas. When Toyota gets race gas to be optimized to work with the 2.0L, I am sure it will be faster."

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you have a source that does thorough testing for various CPUs and GPUs that doesn't advertise or benefit in any way from anything they are reviewing I'd be very interested to see if it's significantly different from everyone else's testing.
    I only care about how the system works. I've posted a bunch of people using the system for different tasks, and I've posted my experience on the new M1's. So I guess my review is unbiased, I don't even own Apple stock haha.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    To add to this, I read that starting with the iPhone 12, Apple has engineered the device so as when disassembled and reassembled, there are functions that are lost.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-iP....501402.0.html
    Not just Apple, Samsung too. Both are now doing authorized repair program and DRMing components. So only authorized repair centers can have the necessary tools to repair devices going forward, increasing repair cost and accelerate purchasing of new devices.

It's not unlike the appliance business.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Anyone capitalize on the AirPods Pro at shoppers today?

Still have tomorrow too.

Best deal I’ve seen BY FAR.

$300, but you get a $75 shopper gift card.

You get 4485 optimum points for the purchase
    And I used my 1% cash back credit card

Cost around $217.50 + GST all said and done.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Now that I've had the MBA for almost a week, wanted to update on how it is as a daily driver. I spent Friday and the weekend using the base MBA 8gb for work. It only supported 1 external 4K screen so I had to change my workflow slightly. My experience basically mimics all the use case non benchmark testing that's out there, the MBA 8gb absolutely flies. Even with 8gb it does not feel like it's swapping at all, even though istat menus clearly shows it's swapping way more than my MBP i5 16gb. Between all my apps I easily have 20-25gb in use at any time. I have a shit ton of tabs and virtual desktops open, hundreds of tabs across Chrome and Safari, Zoom, and the occasional Photos and iMessages and the MBA didn't skip a beat. It feels WAY faster than the MBA. Everything from native M1 apps, to Office under Rosetta, just feels faster.

The biggest takeaway is the silence. With no fan, it's eerily quiet in the office. The MBP i5's fan is pretty much always on, so there's everything from an annoying whine to full blown jet engine depending if a tab goes crazy (Nest tab does that randomly). Never knew how much I've zoned out the fan until it's silent. The other thing is the wake. Every morning it takes a solid minute for the MBP to wake up and stabilize (from I'm assuming hibernation). Not so with the MBA. It just wakes up and starts working like I left it.

Still won't be replacing my actual work laptop with an M1 till it supports dual monitors, but for everything else, I can't see the need of going to 16GB or even a MBP especially since I hate the damn Touch Bar. Worked on a couple of iMovie edits over the weekend and really had zero complaints about the speed at all, since it's still 3x faster than the MBP i5. It's pretty impressive the level of improvement with really just a CPU change.

My Ride

This settles it. I'm buying a gold one on on BF.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Now that I've had the MBA for almost a week, wanted to update on how it is as a daily driver. I spent Friday and the weekend using the base MBA 8gb for work. It only supported 1 external 4K screen so I had to change my workflow slightly. My experience basically mimics all the use case non benchmark testing that's out there, the MBA 8gb absolutely flies. Even with 8gb it does not feel like it's swapping at all, even though istat menus clearly shows it's swapping way more than my MBP i5 16gb. Between all my apps I easily have 20-25gb in use at any time. I have a shit ton of tabs and virtual desktops open, hundreds of tabs across Chrome and Safari, Zoom, and the occasional Photos and iMessages and the MBA didn't skip a beat. It feels WAY faster than the MBA. Everything from native M1 apps, to Office under Rosetta, just feels faster.

The biggest takeaway is the silence. With no fan, it's eerily quiet in the office. The MBP i5's fan is pretty much always on, so there's everything from an annoying whine to full blown jet engine depending if a tab goes crazy (Nest tab does that randomly). Never knew how much I've zoned out the fan until it's silent. The other thing is the wake. Every morning it takes a solid minute for the MBP to wake up and stabilize (from I'm assuming hibernation). Not so with the MBA. It just wakes up and starts working like I left it.

Still won't be replacing my actual work laptop with an M1 till it supports dual monitors, but for everything else, I can't see the need of going to 16GB or even a MBP especially since I hate the damn Touch Bar. Worked on a couple of iMovie edits over the weekend and really had zero complaints about the speed at all, since it's still 3x faster than the MBP i5. It's pretty impressive the level of improvement with really just a CPU change.
    You just need 2 MBA’s

fact.

Page 144 of 192 FirstFirst ... 134 143 144 145 154 ... LastLast