Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 30 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 30 of 193 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $1319 (64GB) and $1529 (256GB) for the X. Ouch! God damn CDN$.
    Classic apple forex rates.
    I don't understand how the X is worth another ~$300 over the 8+ when the only real difference is the sensors, front camera and screen.
    Didn't up their price on the 8 though, undercutting the S8 by $100 if you are ok with the 4.7" screen. I am guessing the pixel 2 will be similar pricing to the iphone again.
    64gb base though makes the base model very attractive now as well.
    Now they have 5 different models available though, SE, 6S, 7, 8 and X. Starting at $469 which is pretty reasonable. SE 469, 6S 599, 6S+ 739, 7 739, 7+ 899, 8 929, 8+ 1059 & X 999999
    Last edited by schocker; 09-12-2017 at 01:38 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    I don't understand how the X is worth another ~$300 over the 8+ when the only real difference is the sensors, front camera and screen.
    Didn't up their price on the 8 though, undercutting the S8 by $100 if you are ok with the 4.7" screen. I am guessing the pixel 2 will be similar pricing to the iphone again.
    It's because they're held hostage by Samsung, who is the only supplier to the X's OLED screen, who are charging Apple over 3x the price compared to the standard display. That alone is $100 USD more. I'll bet that once someone does a tear down, you're looking at $150-$200 more in manufacturing costs alone.

Apple won't have another OLED supplier lined up for 2 years so it'll be a while before we see price drops.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Anyone watch the live event? The face recognition didn't even work ��

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Now they have 5 different models available though, SE, 6S, 7, 8 and X. Starting at $469 which is pretty reasonable. SE 469, 6S 599, 6S+ 739, 7 739, 7+ 899, 8 929, 8+ 1059 & X 999999
    There's something to be said for what you're getting in an even smaller package. The X is the size of the 4.7" phone roughly.

But total screen is 5.8", actually over 5% larger than the I8+. Won't look stupid in your pocket.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Yeah.. not sure about spending that much for a phone..

Although, I'll be interested to know what the carriers will offer.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

$1529 Why not I guess, they will still sell even if for no other reason than people will want others to know they have a $1500 phone.

Anyone see camera sensor size anywhere? They claim all new 'larger' sensors and I am hoping they are finally using a competitive 1/2.3".

I wish the screen didn't have cutouts, that ruins it IMHO just like the Essential phone. You can't even look at a photo without a big chunk taken out of it. I hope this isn't some new direction that other manufacturers will take like getting rid of headphone jacks.

A lot of OLED screens also aren't perfect, but one would expect it to be on a $1500+ phone. I am very curious to see how they deal with things like white uniformity issues.

I did enjoy the T-REX AR, and the face ID fail in highly controlled ideal conditions

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Anyone see camera sensor size anywhere? They claim all new 'larger' sensors and I am hoping they are finally using a competitive 1/2.3".
    Pretty sure it's the same size. They've been improving just the aperture in the last few revisions. Pretty happy with that, low light performance has been really impressive on my 7 compared to the 6S's that we were shooting with on vacation, particularly videos. Not sure how much they can push sensor size without affecting the packaging, especially depth.

I wish the screen didn't have cutouts, that ruins it IMHO just like the Essential phone. You can't even look at a photo without a big chunk taken out of it.
    The black background on the lock screen looked really nice. Surprised they didn't push that forward in all other screens. Not very Apple of Apple for details like that.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by jampack View Post
    Yeah.. not sure about spending that much for a phone..
    It seriously getting to the point where having the latest doesn't matter because the price is too high.

It's like the new Macbook Pros. I haven't bothered upgrading.

Maybe get an 8+ with the series 3 instead. I take back my "shut up and take my monaaaaaay!" haha

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Who would even stop at just the 64GB phone at that price point? Might as well go balls deep or nothing at all.

My Ride
    Grimace

It's because they're held hostage by Samsung, who is the only supplier to the X's OLED screen, who are charging Apple over 3x the price compared to the standard display. That alone is $100 USD more. I'll bet that once someone does a tear down, you're looking at $150-$200 more in manufacturing costs alone.

Apple won't have another OLED supplier lined up for 2 years so it'll be a while before we see price drops.
    Ah, I see. Didn't realize it was market up that much. Are there the premium panels then that they usually keep for themselves? I believe they will start getting OLEDs from LG next year.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Ah, I see. Didn't realize it was market up that much. Are there the premium panels then that they usually keep for themselves? I believe they will start getting OLEDs from LG next year.
    2019 before LG can produce in meaningful numbers, and that's with Apple throwing billions at them to get their shit going faster.

Pretty sure it's the same size. They've been improving just the aperture in the last few revisions. Pretty happy with that, low light performance has been really impressive on my 7 compared to the 6S's that we were shooting with on vacation, particularly videos. Not sure how much they can push sensor size without affecting the packaging, especially depth.

The black background on the lock screen looked really nice. Surprised they didn't push that forward in all other screens. Not very Apple of Apple for details like that.
    I'm guessing it is a 1/2.5" and hopefully they used it for both the wide and normal range lenses. Sony has historically supplied Apple there as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's an IMX333 (or similar) like in the GS8. The stacked design reduces the footprint quite a bit while letting them get super fast readouts. Apple would have high enough volume though that they might have a new one from Sony too.

With the 7+, the bigger problem was with the second, standard focal length camera rather than the wide variant. The low light performance was so poor from the tiny 1/3.6" sensor that the camera just used a crop from the 'wide' camera's 1/3"sensor instead. I'm guessing that is something they remedied this time around but we'll see. Another way they could fix this is with a better ISP like the one Google uses in the Pixel allowing for instant HDR or image stacking for noise reduction. If they have improved the camera enough I might get a basic iP8 for work since I am due for an upgrade and I like to have at least one device in each ecosystem.

I'm still curious how Apple will handle what will likely be a high number of imperfect screens, as people will probably be more picky on a $1500 phone. A lot of mass produced OLEDs have pink blooming, warm spots, etc. Screen issues were brutal on the iPad Pro's and that's not even an OLED.

Looks like Sept. 19th for IOS 11 for my iPad which isn't too far away.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-12-2017 at 03:02 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Do you know why there's a limitation is for these camera sensors to be able to do true long exposure shots?

My Ride
    Grimace

Looks like Sept. 19th for IOS 11 for my iPad which isn't too far away.
    This is what I am looking forward to. Might look at just selling my MBP since all I really need is my ipad pro.

Did you ever get it to work with raw properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    There's something to be said for what you're getting in an even smaller package. The X is the size of the 4.7" phone roughly.

But total screen is 5.8", actually over 5% larger than the I8+. Won't look stupid in your pocket.
    If thats the case then take my money apple! The X looks sweet but i figured it was the plus size phone with a larger screen and i think thats too big for me but if its around the size of the normal iphone sign me up.

Do you know why there's a limitation is for these camera sensors to be able to do true long exposure shots?
    My understanding is it's a hardware limitation (that's what third party app developers have said in the past), though you can sometimes skirt it with third party apps that combine multiple exposures to make it look like one long exposure. I believe there are two reasons for this. For one, I think it's often limited to 1/4sec because they don't want people who have no clue what they're doing complaining about blurry photographs. If you look at the conditions most people try to use their smartphones in, they are often expecting miracles - with a fixed aperture, your only options to create a useful exposure in low light are to crank up the ISO or increase the exposure time, so they push you towards the former in order to try avoid a blurry image. Long exposures also make lots of heat, and with such a tiny sensor, this happens fast and the SNR degrades pretty quickly - the sensor manufacturer likely determines the crossover point between heat generated noise and acceptable image quality and cuts you off there.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    AS much as I'd want one there is no way I'd line up. I will pre-order online on the first date and then wait for it to be made available I guess.

This is what I am looking forward to. Might look at just selling my MBP since all I really need is my ipad pro.

Did you ever get it to work with raw properly?
    I never did buy Affinity photo, too many people saying it doesn't work like I want it to. I am going to bend over and buy the camera connection kit though so I can use the 256GB capacity to backup my photos while traveling. Once I have that, it will be easier for me to experiment with RAW capability. Adobe apparently made some big improvements to the Lightroom App which I get for free so I will try that first. All I want to do is quickly cull photos, I don't care about editing since it's simply not nearly powerful enough for what I do. The greater issue seems to be quickly switching between large numbers of photos is not something easily accomplished but I haven't put much time into it yet.

Why did all the rumor sites tease us with the blush gold? Looks like no unique color to quickly identify your flossing a $1500 phone, lol.

Am I the only one excited about that game they played on the table lol? ... I can't wait for office battles haha
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

Page 30 of 193 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast