Apple Thread - Page 139 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 139 of 193 FirstFirst ... 129 138 139 140 149 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 3846

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking at the fine print it looks like Apple's basis for comparison is a ~10W version of one of the worst CPUs you could put in a laptop - I wonder if they did that on purpose so when it came time to compare their own silicon the following year, it would appear favorable.

Interesting they chose not to publish any benchmarks either which is highly unusual for a CPU release. They don't seem to have much confidence in this M1. I was also trying to see if it had an SMT equivalent but it doesn't look like it, at least so far.
    Well I guess these M1s are for real. People getting them now and it’s ridiculous.

edit - so this isn’t exactly a fair test. iMac Pro is a couple years old and doesn’t support accelerated 10 bit HEVC so it’s all CPU. Damn Chinese people.

Finding a few tests of MBP i5 vs MBP M1 (which replaced it at the same price) and its about 2x quicker exporting 4K. The surprise is MBA M1 isn’t thermal throttling and doing the same exports at the same speed as the MBP M1.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I was just comparing the 2020 Dell XPS vs Macbook Air, and the reviews appear to favor the Dell by quite a bit. Yet, I still want to drink the Macbook kool-aid. What am I missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I was just comparing the 2020 Dell XPS vs Macbook Air, and the reviews appear to favor the Dell by quite a bit. Yet, I still want to drink the Macbook kool-aid. What am I missing?
    Wait a few days till the full reviews come out. We’re only seeing tidbits of info right now. The biggest question is how good Rosetta 2 is, and if the apps you use are fully compatible. Prelim performance on Rosetta 2 has been promising, roughly 20% performance hit.

If all the boxes are checked, I just need them to revive the 12” MacBook. That will be the ultimate travel machine, once traveling is normal again haha.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    02 RSX

Should I start thinking to upgrade my MacBook Pro Late 2013

still does the job for what I need it...

in my experience is in the long run, my MacBooks have lasted easy 5 years, I still have my white MacBook over 15 years old that is a garage computer, garbage for videos but still works for basic music and web...

my current one late 2013 still running awesome with 0 issues, almost always out of space, and still preforms... I just wish sometimes I had more than 8 GB of ram, but I also have like 30 tabs open all the time with other stuff going on

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Russo View Post

in my experience is in the long run, my MacBooks have lasted easy 5 years, I still have my white MacBook over 15 years old that is a garage computer, garbage for videos but still works for basic music and web...

my current one late 2013 still running awesome with 0 issues, almost always out of space, and still preforms... I just wish sometimes I had more than 8 GB of ram, but I also have like 30 tabs open all the time with other stuff going on
    I got shafted. Needed a laptop for the kids for school. 6 month old base MBP is now discontinued and 1/2 the speed of the replacement haha.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sounds pretty interesting.

Maybe a new 16” will be in my future after all. M1X or whatever inside.

Most of the glaring problems should be addressed by then, and I can keep my dell on the shelf for windows tasks.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Russo View Post

I just upgraded the ram on my Early 2011 Macbok pro to 16G and swapped out the HD to a SSD.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I just upgraded the ram on my Early 2011 Macbok pro to 16G and swapped out the HD to a SSD.
    You put money into an obsoleted Mac?

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride

MB Air and Pro models seem much closer in price and performance than I recall. Since when did Apple leapfrog into 5nm processes? This is craaaaay

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Shhh...he's still building his PC.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 11-17-2020 at 09:01 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I struggle a bit with the point of the air considering it’s so similar to the pro. Essentially identical dimensions aside from taper, .2lb weight savings. And shorter battery life on the air.

I think rage is onto something where the air goes to a 12” and the pro to a new 14” form factor in the next 12-18 months.

I mean, the air has a 400 dollar price advantage so that’s pretty compelling considering it performs at basically pro levels with M1. But to me the point of the air isn’t that it should be the cheapo MacBook, it should be all about the compelling form factor.

12” passive cooled air, 14” active cooled pro with integrated graphics, and 16” Pro with “X” hardware and dedicated graphics seems like a compelling lineup.
    Last edited by killramos; 11-17-2020 at 09:19 AM.

fact.

My Ride
    02 RSX

I already have SSD from the factory and RAM is soldered to the motherboard

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I was going to get a new laptop, but I did not see anything on the market that I thought was decent. Especially with the tech changes this year. So I focused on researching on building a PC and keeping the older mac for portability.
    I only use the laptop for surfing, writing, banking while I sit in front of the telly. Nothing heavy.

MB Air and Pro models seem much closer in price and performance than I recall. Since when did Apple leapfrog into 5nm processes? This is craaaaay

- - - Updated - - -

Shhh...he's still building his PC.
    PC build has put on hold sadly. After my car accident, I cant sit at a desk. Im not sure if its a good idea to put money into that right now.

My Ride

PC build has put on hold sadly. After my car accident, I cant sit at a desk. Im not sure if its a good idea to put money into that right now.
    Sorry to hear about the accident.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I struggle a bit with the point of the air considering it’s so similar to the pro. Essentially identical dimensions aside from taper, .2lb weight savings. And shorter battery life on the air.
    The M1 definitely has put the line up in a weird spot. The M1 basically has the MBA and MBP with near identical performance. Touch Bar, battery life, and slightly brighter screen is the only differentiator. That's pretty crazy considering there's no fan on the MBA M1. The Intel MBA's were that crippled from thermal throttling.

Comparing to what it's replaced, the MBA is miles ahead of the same priced i3 MBA as well as the more expensive i5 and i7 MBA. MBP, it's twice as fast and rivals the twice the price i9 MBP. Takeaway so far in the 2 reviews I glanced at, only Chrome is worst performing. Up to Google to see if they make an ARM version of Chrome or not. The 1 monitor support will also hold me back. The kids will be happy with their M1's. I almost want to step down to the MPA for the kids and save $400 at this point. I mean, you can play games on it better than the entry level i5 MBP and that's under Rosetta 2 x86 emulation.

At $1169 (with the edu discount), is there a better bang for the buck than the MBA M1? Kind of strange that Apple is in the conversation for bang for the buck here.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The new air is great value for sure. To me the size is a no go, I like a full size laptop display.

Ram a cinebench on my albeit several years old XPS 15. Looks like M1 is 2X my current i7 in single and multi core scores so that’s a solid check for me.

Graphics benchmarks put it at around 1050Ti level, so 10-25% increase over my 1050.

I’d like to see a bit better graphics performance personally, but I’m sure whatever they stick in the next 16” MBP will solve that for me. Bonus points if it gets a mini LED display as is rumoured.

fact.

First seemingly reliable M1 benchmarks (Cinbench R23) are out and it is unfortunately not looking too good at first glance. R23 was built specifically with support for Apple silicon in mind, so we can assume it's showing it in a favorable light. Most importantly for multi core, it's way behind entry level x86 despite being 1-2 full process nodes ahead. It roughly matches Intel's 6-year-old Skylake architecture built on the ancient 14nm node. Single core it fares a bit better, but it's still behind older x86 designs built on double the node size running low clock speeds. Ryzen 4000 mobile (~2 year old zen 2 cores shown in this chart) are tuned for multi-core performance.

Regarding battery life, iVerge got 8-10hr battery life depending what they were doing, nowhere near the 20hr claim.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Cinebench doesn't even use GPU does it? The M1 shines in that it's got decent CPU and a huge jump in GPU. Real world, gaming, video rendering, it's killing any of the Intels. I haven't seen any Ryzen real world comparisons yet, if you find some, point them out.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea it’s CPU only.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea it’s CPU only.
    Great, so M1 loses in specific bench racing, but win real world. Got it.

I dunno enough about AMD Ryzens, but I do know Intel laptops, and at the MBA price, nothing touches it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I would like to see some Ryzen laptop comparisons just to educate myself on AMDs a little more. Hoping @Mitsu3000gt pulls through here since he's got a big hard on for AMD.

Benchmarks from Anandtech first look at M1 Mac Mini
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252...ple-m1-tested/

The new Ryzen processors are holding their own, and only the highest end Intel chips compete with M1.
    ---

Page 139 of 193 FirstFirst ... 129 138 139 140 149 ... LastLast