Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 86 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 86 of 99 FirstFirst ... 76 85 86 87 96 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 1966

Thread: Apple Thread

  1. #1701
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    485
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'm still using 20AWG micro USB cables. I mean seriously, who ever thought they would need more than four wires (two for data two for power) obviously never took the time to figure out that we would have gigabit cellular and multigigabit Wifi by now, destroying the need for wired data.
    Greta the destroyer.

  2. #1702
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    One from Affalterbach and Louisville
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Need to finally upgrade my 6s that can't hold a charge worth a shit.

    Do the older iphones usually drop in price right about now?
    All the carriers have deals right now. I think you can get an XR for basically free now with a plan.

  3. #1703
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,684
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Need to finally upgrade my 6s that can't hold a charge worth a shit.

    Do the older iphones usually drop in price right about now?
    Usually the prices (both new and used market) will drop after the announcement. I would wait until after the 10th to buy if i were you.

  4. #1704
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,686
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair point, but I find Apple products really shine when you pay for as much horsepower as possible. The value on spending 20-30% more is really there when it staves off 2 more years of obsolescence.

    Sure it’s massive overkill in year 1, but at least it still functions at year 3-4.

    My original mini was unusable after 2 years because it came with last years processor.
    Fair enough. If you don't mind paying for it, and plan to keep it for a long time, the Pros are a little better even for day-to-day stuff. They are also more fragile though, at least with the current style - they are too thin IMHO.

    The old mini was brutal - had you bought one in the last 1-2 years they were basically unusable right from new compared to the typical Apple performance standard. The 4th generation hadn't been updated since 2013/2014 and it was somehow more expensive than a brand new 9.7" with modern hardware. The 5th iteration brought a desperately needed update and more reasonable pricing.

  5. #1705
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Technically the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    4,186
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Yea I feel like the mini was a missed mark for a lot of years. I’m sure Apple knows best in terms of marketing and customer demands but I always loved the size, but was always annoyed by it being an obvious second fiddle to the big one.

    Even now, an iPad Pro shrunk into a mini form factor would be awesome.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  6. #1706
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,955
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea I feel like the mini was a missed mark for a lot of years. I’m sure Apple knows best in terms of marketing and customer demands but I always loved the size, but was always annoyed by it being an obvious second fiddle to the big one.

    Even now, an iPad Pro shrunk into a mini form factor would be awesome.
    Yup. I was forced to an iPad Pro when there was no update to the mini. Fuck I miss using that thing as a daily driver.

    Will evaluate how "desktop mode" for Safari works on iOS 13 to see if I could pull off travelling with iPad only.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  7. #1707
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    One from Affalterbach and Louisville
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup. I was forced to an iPad Pro when there was no update to the mini. Fuck I miss using that thing as a daily driver.

    Will evaluate how "desktop mode" for Safari works on iOS 13 to see if I could pull off travelling with iPad only.
    I haven't noticed a huge difference in the beta.

  8. #1708
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Foothills County
    My Ride
    is faster than yours
    Posts
    960
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    ...n/m

  9. #1709
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    782
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Someone posted a used iPhone 7 Plus on our intranet for 700$ good luck with that.

    Hoping they stepped up the megapixel count of the sensor with the new tri camera setup sometimes in really low light my pics look like trash compared to a S10+
    Nolan

  10. #1710
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2016 MB C450
    Posts
    8,127
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone posted a used iPhone 7 Plus on our intranet for 700$ good luck with that.

    Hoping they stepped up the megapixel count of the sensor with the new tri camera setup sometimes in really low light my pics look like trash compared to a S10+
    Unless Apple copies other night modes in Android, upping pixel count and not censor size will yield worse low light performance.

  11. #1711
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,686
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone posted a used iPhone 7 Plus on our intranet for 700$ good luck with that.

    Hoping they stepped up the megapixel count of the sensor with the new tri camera setup sometimes in really low light my pics look like trash compared to a S10+
    Lol, you can buy an 8 plus or XR for less than that on Kijiji.

    You don't want them to raise the MP count if low light is your issue, it will be even worse if they shrink the pixels to cram in more resolution at the expense of light gathering ability.

    The bigger problem is Apple doesn't have a competitive HDR/image stacking algorithm and doesn't even offer something like Night Sight, both of which massively improve low light photos on smartphones provided the subject isn't moving too fast. Night Sight is a fairly simple principle (longer exposures + image stacking + AI white balance), but it's a game changer in that department.

    Apple is 2-3 generations behind now on their camera tech (a big part of which is on the computational photography side), so they have a huge gap to close if they want the iPhone 11's to be competitive in that department - just adding more cameras to the back doesn't help if they don't have the rest of it figured out. They obviously aren't bad at all, but that is one area they are way behind in compared to the Android world.

  12. #1712
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    782
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Whoops, yeah larger sensor, not pixel count**
    Nolan

  13. #1713
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,955
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apple is 2-3 generations behind now on their camera tech (a big part of which is on the computational photography side), so they have a huge gap to close if they want the iPhone 11's to be competitive in that department - just adding more cameras to the back doesn't help if they don't have the rest of it figured out. They obviously aren't bad at all, but that is one area they are way behind in compared to the Android world.
    Bit of an exaggeration there haha. Yea google is better in some situations, Apple in others, but the gap closes when you add in post processing. It’s basically how iPhones default process a warmer and less shadowy image while pixels default to a cooler more sharply processed image. It depends what you’re after. Yes pixel is better at night because of stacking, but it’s not as big of a gap as default processing once iPhone night shots are post processed. Kenny and I did side by side tests when he got his Pixel 3. Pixel’s software zoom is nice if there’s no motion, but still doesn’t compare to a true optical zoom. Videos, no contest when you can’t apply any of the stacking so pixel gets destroyed.

    Anyways, pros and cons on both, but 2-3 generations behind is laughable.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  14. #1714
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,686
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bit of an exaggeration there haha. Yea google is better in some situations, Apple in others, but the gap closes when you add in post processing. It’s basically how iPhones default process a warmer and less shadowy image while pixels default to a cooler more sharply processed image. It depends what you’re after. Yes pixel is better at night because of stacking, but it’s not as big of a gap as default processing once iPhone night shots are post processed. Kenny and I did side by side tests when he got his Pixel 3. Pixel’s software zoom is nice if there’s no motion, but still doesn’t compare to a true optical zoom. Videos, no contest when you can’t apply any of the stacking so pixel gets destroyed.

    Anyways, pros and cons on both, but 2-3 generations behind is laughable.

    I dunno, Apple has nothing that even comes close to Night Sight. I don't think it's an exaggeration. Also, what percentage of smartphone shooters are post-processing their photos beyond adding an Instagram filter? I know you and I might, but I've got to believe the number of people doing that is extremely low. Unless you are collecting multiple identical RAW images and stacking them in post (not a super easy thing to do), you aren't getting close to Night Sight.

    If you're willing to process a bunch of RAW files manually with the proper software, well then yeah all bets are off, but 99% people don't use their camera phones like that. That's also extremely inconvenient and time consuming.

    iVerge has a few articles on it and they seem to agree, despite their extremely pro-apple sentiment everywhere else: https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/3/18...el-competition

    Another quote from them "Still, if the iPhone XS could even match last year’s Pixel 2 in basic image quality, it’d be a significant and immediately noticeable improvement for every iPhone user." And that is with basic photos, not Night Sight.

    Anyway, I am obviously not the only person to think this way if other Apple fanboys agree. And like I said, it is by no means bad, it's just pretty far behind at least at the current juncture - the 11's might close some of the gap.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-05-2019 at 11:34 AM.

  15. #1715
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,955
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dunno, Apple has nothing that even comes close to Night Sight. I don't think it's an exaggeration. Also, what percentage of smartphone shooters are post-processing their photos beyond adding an Instagram filter? I know you and I might, but I've got to believe the number of people doing that is extremely low. Unless you are collecting multiple identical RAW images and stacking them in post (not a super easy thing to do), you aren't getting close to Night Sight.

    If you're willing to process a bunch of RAW files manually with the proper software, well then yeah all bets are off, but 99% people don't use their camera phones like that. That's also extremely inconvenient and time consuming.

    iVerge has a few articles on it and they seem to agree, despite their extremely pro-apple sentiment everywhere else: https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/3/18...el-competition

    Another quote from them "Still, if the iPhone XS could even match last year’s Pixel 2 in basic image quality, it’d be a significant and immediately noticeable improvement for every iPhone user." And that is with basic photos, not Night Sight.

    Anyway, I am obviously not the only person to think this way if other Apple fanboys agree. And like I said, it is by no means bad, it's just pretty far behind at least at the current juncture - the 11's might close some of the gap.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Apple isn't behind. They are, especially if you nitpick. I'm just saying your 2-3 generations behind is laughable.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  16. #1716
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,686
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Apple isn't behind. They are, especially if you nitpick. I'm just saying your 2-3 generations behind is laughable.
    I'm willing to reduce it to 1-2 generations Also, a one-generation difference is not big - it sounds worse than it is. Night Sight was a bit of a game changer but before that, honestly the year-over-year improvements in both camps have been quite minor.

    When there's major features they don't have in the areas of photography that the average user complains about the most (like blurry or noisy pics in low light), that puts them more than a little behind at least IMO.

    The way I understand it, your point seems to be that if you process RAW files you can get similar results from an iPhone, which is true because that is all the Pixel is doing too - computational photography. The difference is one happens instantly inside your phone, and the other requires manual post processing of up to 15 identical RAW files and the appropriate knowledge and software to do so. Your average smartphone user just wants to press the button and get better photos, especially in low light. Night sight deals with movement surprisingly well, but if there is major movement then you will run into problems.

    We are nitpicking, because if you just care about getting a semi-usable photo in most scenarios, well any phone in the last 5 years or so can deliver on that. Now that smartphones are starting to replace traditional cameras more and more, and prices can easily approach $1500-$2000, the little things start to matter more.

    I do suspect Apple will have a version of Night Sight on the 11's.

  17. #1717
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,955
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm willing to reduce it to 1-2 generations Also, a one-generation difference is not big - it sounds worse than it is. Night Sight was a bit of a game changer but before that, honestly the year-over-year improvements in both camps have been quite minor.

    When there's major features they don't have in the areas of photography that the average user complains about the most (like blurry or noisy pics in low light), that puts them more than a little behind at least IMO.

    The way I understand it, your point seems to be that if you process RAW files you can get similar results from an iPhone, which is true because that is all the Pixel is doing too - computational photography. The difference is one happens instantly inside your phone, and the other requires manual post processing of up to 15 identical RAW files and the appropriate knowledge and software to do so. Your average smartphone user just wants to press the button and get better photos, especially in low light. Night sight deals with movement surprisingly well, but if there is major movement then you will run into problems.

    We are nitpicking, because if you just care about getting a semi-usable photo in most scenarios, well any phone in the last 5 years or so can deliver on that. Now that smartphones are starting to replace traditional cameras more and more, and prices can easily approach $1500-$2000, the little things start to matter more.

    I do suspect Apple will have a version of Night Sight on the 11's.
    No, my point is that out of the box performance is close (except for very low light). It's what you favor as the default processing. Some like the cooler look of Pixel photos with more shadow and higher sharpening detail, and others like the warmer studio like look of the iPhone's default processing. I only mention processing in that you get the same results either way. Don't get me wrong, some of the technological advances on the Pixel is great, such as the digital zoom using stacking. It's a great way to increase profit margins by not needing to pack it with a optical zoom lens. It works, and works great. End result is the same anyways.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  18. #1718
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    Nissan
    Posts
    320
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Watching the Apple Event; Apple TV+ will come in as 1 year free subscription if you buy an apple product today. Good marketing so far lol.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

  19. #1719
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton/Calgary
    My Ride
    AM - V
    Posts
    4,123
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Nothing that blows my mind for the iPhone so far. Wish they had changed the shape around more.

  20. #1720
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    6,746
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jampack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching the Apple Event; Apple TV+ will come in as 1 year free subscription if you buy an apple product today. Good marketing so far lol.
    That's the best one so far haha. CMON AIRPODS 3...

Page 86 of 99 FirstFirst ... 76 85 86 87 96 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS- Kensington travel plug adaptor, Apple keyboard/mouse, Apple Powerbook plug

    By RawB8figure in forum Computer Hardware & Peripherals
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 12-12-2007, 10:58 PM
  2. FS: Latest 15 inch Apple Powerbook, w/Apple Care 2gigs of ram - $1400

    By overjoyed in forum Computer Hardware & Peripherals
    Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 03-03-2007, 02:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •