Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 28 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 28 of 193 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Thread

As it turns out I unfortunately do in fact have the defective display that seems to be fairly common:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...tness.2050799/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...trait.2051126/

The forum poll shows it's occurring on almost 50% of respondent's devices, which is disappointing. Some people have been through as many as 6 units trying to get a decent screen. I will be exchanging mine and playing the display lottery again - my concern is that this would not be covered by Apple Care. Disappointing for a $1000 device for sure, and will have to order another screen protector on top of that.

It's less noticeable with high brightness levels, but very noticeable on certain uniform backgrounds (or any white/off grey background), and is exaggerated with low brightness. If you get one, check for this right away. It's clear as day in Gmail, the notes app, or anything with a similarly white or off white background.

No updates yet either for the 10.5 resolution, every app seems to be running on the 9.7 resolution still. Hopefully soon.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-03-2017 at 04:10 PM.

The spinning wheel icon beside the WiFi icon on my iPad is on 100% of the time while on the home screen - anyone know why that might be? Doesn't matter how long I wait, the only thing that stops it is opening an app.

- All background processes are turned off
    - I do not have an iCloud account
    - All apps are closed
    - It's been a couple days so I don't think it's setting itself up still
    - Nothing obvious can be found in the usage statistics

I searched around a bit and it seemed to be an issue with older iOS' but not so much iOS 10.

Up coming iPhone will have 3D face unlock. (Looks like there No Touch ID)

I don't mind face recognition only if it's fast. haha

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Surface Pro pioneered 3D/IR facial scanning and made face recognition fast and secure, but there are still downsides. In differing lighting conditions especially outdoors in the sun with a lot of IR noise, you need to reprogram it to recognize you again pretty regularly depending on the sun's direction and intensity. It's a bit of a pain in the ass.

I can't see them dropping TouchID, I've started using Apple Pay extensively now to carry less shit day to day and paying using facial recognition would be a massive PITA. You have to angle your phone correctly in a lot of pay terminals to get it to work, and trying to get my face in there as well would make it unusable. They've gotta have both or it'll be a huge usability mistake.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Would be weird to see people looking like they are taking a selfie but they are actually just trying to pay something in the cashier. Lol
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't see them dropping TouchID, I've started using Apple Pay extensively now to carry less shit day to day and paying using facial recognition would be a massive PITA. You have to angle your phone correctly in a lot of pay terminals to get it to work, and trying to get my face in there as well would make it unusable. They've gotta have both or it'll be a huge usability mistake.
    They'll probably put it on the back of the phone... maybe right beside the camera.
    ---

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I am pro 3d scanning if it works as well as surface. Easily a top 5 feature of my SP4 and imo is much more reliable for use than TouchID.

Keep in mine you can activate apple pay with a quick 6 digit passcode entry which is not really inconvenient at all. I use it for apple pay pretty often and just ignore touch ID because I know the passcode works vs sitting there wiping my screen off 3 times at the register trying to get touchid to work.

i would say touchid is a 60-70% success rate for me.

My surface is 95% plus on facial recognition.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Apple Upcoming iPhone is set to be reveal on Sept. 12 at 11am (MT) / 10 a.m (PDT)

Rumors:
    No Touch ID
    Facial Recognition Unlock
    More Storage: 512GB
    OLED Screen?

Other products that we may hear more at the event.
    iMac Pro
    Homepod
    Apple 4K TV?

This guy is showing whats it like using your phone without touch/button

My Ride
    This and that.

Looking forward to the new one. Supposed to be bezzle less.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I just want the dual camera in a size that's not going to constantly fall out of my hands when holding it with just 1. No Touch ID (if true) is going to be disappointing.

Who cares, ordering 2, if I don't like 'em, sell 'em, profit. These are going to be so constrained in stock till the end of the year that it's pretty much guaranteed big profits.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

How's Apple Pay going to work without Touch ID? You have to scan your face every time before using it? That'll be a huge pain in the ass.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by cet View Post
    How's Apple Pay going to work without Touch ID? You have to scan your face every time before using it? That'll be a huge pain in the ass.
    Agreed. We'll see if it's true and what it comes with. It sucks because I've actually moved almost entirely to Apple Pay for my day to day, and keeping nothing in my pocket but my phone.

Rumors suggest they couldn't get the touch ID under the screen working properly so they scrapped it. The original production run is supposedly 'limited' on the phones as well, so if you can get one you can probably flip it for a profit.

The 7s will have a normal screen but the 8 or the X or the pro or whatever they call it will have an OLED, but with hideous cutouts in the top of the screen.

The other thing I have been reading is that it will still have no fast charging with the included charger, and it will use a proprietary method of wireless charging so all your existing or built-in Qi pads will be useless - I really hope that is not the case.

iOS 11 will work largely like it does on the iPads, which we have seen in action for months now.

The cutout definitely looks weird in these pictures. I wonder how it will fit everything including carrier, carrier signal, time, battery, battery %, bluetooth indicator, etc. Will it scroll?

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Also, the wireless charging will be capped at 7.5W compared to 15W for Android with Qi charging pad.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by cet View Post
    There was a Weibo video of a worker testing a fingerprint sensor on Apple logo in the back. Not sure what device that is but it could be a good work around for iPhone 8/X.

Then again, it's could be some sort of knock off Android phone. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Also, the wireless charging will be capped at 7.5W compared to 15W for Android with Qi charging pad.

It should not be a big deal if the battery is under 2000mAh. iPhone 7 only has a 1960mAh battery and I don't see iPhone 8/X will have anything bigger than that. You should be able to top up from empty in 2hrs or less.

When your battery is 30-40% smaller than Android phones, slower speed isn't a big of a disadvantage. And it's not like iPhone battery are that great to start with, I have seen so many with battery issues. Slower charge speed could be a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    The cutout definitely looks weird in these pictures. I wonder how it will fit everything including carrier, carrier signal, time, battery, battery %, bluetooth indicator, etc. Will it scroll?
    I would guess it would follow Android phones which already embraced 18.5:9 ratios in different ways:

All apps will only have 16:9 to work with and the extra 2.5 will be black borders.

Then again, this would look very ugly if phones are anything but black, unless that camera cutout only comes in black.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-05-2017 at 04:52 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The latest rumors says there's not even a concept of a home button on the OLED phone. That's going to be weird, 2 different interfaces on 2 new phones (7S vs 8 or whatever they're calling it).

My Ride
    This and that.

I've got a Red edition iPhone 7+ and even though I've got a little case on it, the other day it got dropped which chipped/dented the bottom on one end right beside the speaker holes. Any chance they'd replace it under the warranty? Can't think of what shit to make up to explain other than my own fault though lol. Don't have Apple care, just the standard warranty.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Where is the best bet to order?

And is it better to order a phone or get it for half off or whatever through Telus?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Page 28 of 193 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast