Quantcast
$48 Koodo Manitoba Plan? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: $48 Koodo Manitoba Plan?

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Thanks for the update guys. Are there any "referral bonuses" being offered by Koodo?

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

They have a refer a friend and both get $50 promo going on currently.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Anyone want to refer me? lol

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I guess the $50 ended yesterday, and I didn't notice. I sent you a PM with a $25 if you're still interested.

The MB/SK loophole is closed. QC is still a go.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

sl888 - thanks for the update. Same sequence/process except w/ Quebec plans?

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Does anyone know if signing up online works to use the Qc/MB/SK plans? (i.e. can I buy the sim online w/ free shipping to an AB address?) Or do I physically have to go to a Koodo dealer/kiosk to buy the sim and change it myself?

Furthermore, did those who have the SK/MB/Qc plans have to pay PST, or just GST?
    Last edited by JDMMAN; 06-07-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Freedom replaced all the tower gear about a year ago and it is a much stronger network now. They also launched LTE last month.

Public mobile (Telus) has decent offers $38 a month for 2GB of data and no hoops to get it. At one point they had a deal of $38 for 4GB of data.

Quote Originally Posted by JDMMAN View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    sl888 - thanks for the update. Same sequence/process except w/ Quebec plans?
    Does anyone know if signing up online works to use the Qc/MB/SK plans? (i.e. can I buy the sim online w/ free shipping to an AB address?) Or do I physically have to go to a Koodo dealer/kiosk to buy the sim and change it myself?

Furthermore, did those who have the SK/MB/Qc plans have to pay PST, or just GST?
    Yes, same process except you're going for a QC number.
    I'm paying just GST.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

So, I don't know if this was necessary, but has anyone used cellphoneman.ca?

I'm hearing good reviews, and even if it is throwing money down the tube, I am hoping to get a Koodo unlimited plan + 6gb of data for $49/month. Apparently Koodo is on the Telus/Bell network, so there should be zero coverage issues. Using cellphoneman lets me keep my current number and a host of other things. Seems like the deals I could get at the booth were similiar, but not exact.

Anyways, it looks like one way to get a similiar plan to the "manitoba plan" is through this route. I'll let people know how it goes.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

HiTempguy1 - I'm planning on attempting the Qc plan this weekend to see if it'll work. Will report back post switch

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

HiTempguy1 - I'm planning on attempting the Qc plan this weekend to see if it'll work. Will report back post switch
    You'll be out of luck I think, it expires July 4th and cellphoneman.ca said that unless you signed up last weekend, it won't be possible (might be a scare tactic, who knows!) due to the way their billing cycles work. Just reporting the info I've been given

Looks like things are going smooth on their end, I should be fully operational tomorrow. Pretty awesome to be on Telus/Bell network with 6gb and unlimited nationwide for $49. The reason I've kept paying $110/month for a telus plan was because I need the cell reception the Telus/Bell network provides. Cross fingers I get the best of both worlds!

Am on koodo and in my house I only get 1 signal bar while my friend on telus has 3 so I don't know lol (iPhone)

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Signed up today directly with a Qc # everything worked w/o a hitch @ Best Buy up in Beacon Hill. Just need to wait a few days to port my #

My Ride

Did they ask you for a Quebec address, etc? I'm tempted to try this today, and see if i get lucky.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

SCHIDER23 - no Qc address needed.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

It's all done and I am now on Koodo!

Everything seems perfectly normal. I'll report back after the weekend with some thoughts on reception, I'm driving between Red Deer and Edmonton twice so it'll get a good workout.

So I just ended up getting a Saskatchewan plan on my account, with an Alberta number by going to a corporate owned Telus store at Southgate Center in Edmonton Alberta, and even short cutted the process in doing so. It was very easy, and fool proof. It's a bit different than the instructions on this thread, so here's the rundown of what I did.

1. Purchase a Virgin Mobile Sim Card. I purchased it from the Source, but they are available at Staples and Virgin themselves. The Sim cost me $4.99 + GST.

2. Go online to virginmobile.ca and click the link to activate a sim card on a new prepaid account.

3. Follow the instructions online at virgin, and make sure to select a Saskatchewan number (Area code 306). I entered my actual Alberta Address while doing this. You DO NOT need to add any funds to the pre-paid account. It will also ask you to create a 4-6 digit pin, so make sure to remember this too.

4. After activating the virgin mobile pre-paid account, and setting up a Saskatchewan number, call virgin mobile prepaid account services (1-888-999-2321) and ask them to give you the new prepaid account number. This is not the phone number, but rather a 13 digit account number. Write it down, as you will need this later on at the Telus Store. The virgin mobile customer representative did ask me why I needed my account number, and I was honest and said I was porting it out. He then said that was fine and gave me the account number.

5. Go to your local Telus Store in person. I went to a corporate owned location in Edmonton. Not sure about 3rd party dealers. When you are there, tell them you want to switch your number from Virgin prepaid to Telus. Do not tell them it is a Saskatchewan number just yet. Just play dumb when you are discussing what type of plan you would like, and just choose any plan that is available to Alberta. Do not worry, you wont end up with an Alberta plan when this is all over. The Telus associate will sit down with you and start the new account process. When it gets to the point that you are going to get a new number assigned, make sure you tell them you would like to port in your previously created virgin mobile phone number (which is the Saskatchewan number). DO NOT set up the account with a local number, insist on porting in right from the get go. The Telus guy didn't say anything to me about the 306 number, but if they do, just say you have a business in Saskatchewan or that you go to school there or anything really.

6. When you are in the porting area of setting up your account, give the rep the Saskatchewan phone number's account number (that you previously received by calling virgin mobile), along with the 4-6 digit PIN that you created when setting up the virgin account number.

7. The port in process was pretty much instant.

8. After you have transferred the number into your Telus account, the only plans that were available to select were Saskatchewan plans (ie. the cheap ones that you want). The Telus guy can't even select a non-Saskatchewan plan at this point, and didn't seem to care that was all you could pick from. I ended up taking Unlimited Canada/USA calls and texts, plus 15 GB of data for a total of $85/month.

9. After you are done at the TELUS store, go home and create a telus account to manage your new wireless service. After I set up my telus account access, I then went to the section that listed my devices. Underneath your listed device, it should list an option to check on your number transfer status. Click on this, and it will bring you to the classic my account website, which is what you want. When you are in the classic account website, click on the link that says "change phone number".

10. Proceed to port in your local Alberta/ON/BC number from your main carrier you had previously (not the virgin mobile number you used in the previous steps). Port that number over to telus, and it will change your Saskatchewan number to a local number while keeping you on the Saskatchewan plan you selected at the Telus store.

This process I followed had my Alberta number set up with Telus on the same day without having to wait for the first billing date to come and go, since I didn't have to bother with creating an Alberta number, switching it to a Saskatchewan number after the first bill, and then porting back to an Alberta number again. I just started my Telus relationship with a Saskatchewan number from the very beginning. I hope this was of value to someone. Good Luck.
    If anyone is interested, from Howardforum

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Has anyone tried with Koodo w/ Qc plan since July 1? Anyone who's on the QC/MB plans get switched back to an AB plan? I just read the clause around the residency criteria. Wondering if they're switching those AB folks w/ MB/QC plans back over to an AB plan?

My Ride
    4Runner

Anyone know what Coverage towers the Cellphoneman uses? $49 per month for unlimited Canada and US and 6 gigs beats my grandfathered Student Rogers with 6gig caller Id and my10 no unlimited talking for $75

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast