Quantcast
Talk me out of buying a 2014 Mazda 3 - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Talk me out of buying a 2014 Mazda 3

My Ride
    '16 Golf TSI

That's cool. So you saved some cash, worked on your negotiating skills, and got a hamburger. Not bad!

In the end, trying to get around in Edmonton ended up being the worst part of the trip. I wanted to pull my hair out last time I was up there!!

I've been seeing some interesting sales techniques lately. Most odd was the salesperson/sales manager duo at a Mazda dealership who pretty much interrogated me and basically wanted me to fill out a damn personality profile before even showing me a car. I actually had to say I'm not answering any more questions. lol

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by acedia
    That's cool. So you saved some cash, worked on your negotiating skills, and got a hamburger. Not bad!

In the end, trying to get around in Edmonton ended up being the worst part of the trip. I wanted to pull my hair out last time I was up there!!

I've been seeing some interesting sales techniques lately. Most odd was the salesperson/sales manager duo at a Mazda dealership who pretty much interrogated me and basically wanted me to fill out a damn personality profile before even showing me a car. I actually had to say I'm not answering any more questions. lol
    Well... it is a car dealership. Why not try some personality profiling? Ha.

I was going to work with a dealer here (Kramer Mazda) but opted not to when they hit me with a $700 dealer fee. I asked what the dealer fee bought me, and essentially it came down to nitrogen filled tires and a tire warranty. They also didn't really move on the price of the car.

That pissed me off. You're already making money on the car, you're going to make money on the trade, and you also want to charge me so you can make money on top of the money you're already making? Not happening.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by codetrap
    Ugly as fuck and more expensive.
    Looks are subjective, but more expensive it isn't. Jetta is now priced like the Civic, Corolla etc.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 12-31-2016 at 12:29 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by codetrap
    Hmm. I re-checked and you are correct on the pricing. I must have been looking at the wrong trim level. I'll admit I haven't gone and tried to do an apples to apples comparison of them, but I still think the Jetta is way ugly compared to the Corolla and Civic. It's styling is much closer to my 93 Excel SE than something modern.
    Typical German.

But I think the Jetta is also the oldest car in the field now. Everybody else in that class now have new sheet metal to show. Even the Corolla which still sits on the same chassis from 2003.

I found nothing wrong with Jetta once they got the all the Mexican quality issue sorted out. It's a bit boring but tends to look a slight bit better put together than Asian counterparts.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Typical German.

But I think the Jetta is also the oldest car in the field now. Everybody else in that class now have new sheet metal to show. Even the Corolla which still sits on the same chassis from 2003.

I found nothing wrong with Jetta once they got the all the Mexican quality issue sorted out. It's a bit boring but tends to look a slight bit better put together than Asian counterparts.
    IMO it still feels like a car I want to drive...

I'd say that Ford's European imports (Focus, Escape and Fusion) Modeo/Kuga/Focus are the only domestics that have that feel... nothing else in their lineup does (i.e. my F150 with panels that are super misaligned)

But even to this day... and this includes everyone with "maybe" an exception to some Lexus models, all Japanese cars still feel like econoboxes.

My brother's MDX, a G37 I was going to buy... feel the same in steering feel, closing the door, the trunk as my Dad's 08' corolla...

No doubt the Lexus, Infinity etc... can "do up "an interior as nice as any... but heck anyone can put in Napa or some high end leather, even Dodge does.

I just think that when you buy a GTI, when compared to say an Impreza, Honda Civic Turbo or what have you... it is leaps and abounds ahead in the overall driving experience, even if say the performance dynamics and technology are on par or even lagging.

i.e. IMO the Mark 5 GTI TFSI was always a more interesting car to drive than the SI or Spec-V equivalent of even the latest iterations.

performance and driving dynamics of a sports compact, linear "rich" torque delivery and comfort of a mid-class sedan, and practicality of a hatch.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 09-12-2016 at 09:31 AM.

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

A790, that sounds exactly what my car is like. Various scratches, dents, and paint chips, I think the paint is just incredibly cheap. I don't baby my car, but I certainly don't drive it down gravel roads every day either. That being said, sounds like you got an awesome deal! Enjoy the "new" car.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by got_mike33
    A790, that sounds exactly what my car is like. Various scratches, dents, and paint chips, I think the paint is just incredibly cheap. I don't baby my car, but I certainly don't drive it down gravel roads every day either. That being said, sounds like you got an awesome deal! Enjoy the "new" car.
    The paint chips/scratches don't bother me much. I want the dent in the rocker panel/skirt pulled though, and the major scratches touched up. Once it's all fixed up (spring maybe) I'll 3M the front end.

My Ride
    BB6

Originally posted by A790

Well... it is a car dealership. Why not try some personality profiling? Ha.

I was going to work with a dealer here (Kramer Mazda) but opted not to when they hit me with a $700 dealer fee. I asked what the dealer fee bought me, and essentially it came down to nitrogen filled tires and a tire warranty. They also didn't really move on the price of the car.

That pissed me off. You're already making money on the car, you're going to make money on the trade, and you also want to charge me so you can make money on top of the money you're already making? Not happening.
    Kramer is ridiculous. The GM has absolutely zero people skills

My Ride
    bus

Nitrogen is better and well worth the money.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by redblack

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Nitrogen is insignificantly better performing and definitely not worth the money.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

I only use a special mixture of 78.09% Nitrogen, 20.95% Oxygen, and ~1% special blend of rare gases. I find it performs adequately, and is well worth the cost.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by carson blocks
    I only use a special mixture of 78.09% Nitrogen, 20.95% Oxygen, and ~1% special blend of rare gases. I find it performs adequately, and is well worth the cost.
    I pay extra for that $hit. I even use it in my lungs!

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by jwslam

I pay extra for that $hit. I even use it in my lungs!
    Make sure it's free range and locally sourced.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5