Quantcast
Android Thread - Page 19 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Thread

My Ride
    V8s

Jesus I had no idea the Note got so expensive. That's outrageous.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jesus I had no idea the Note got so expensive. That's outrageous.
    That's MSRP for the 512GB models which most people won't get. Just like the Xs MAX with 512GB MSRP for $2000.

Also, nobody really pay cold hard cash for Samsung phones. I'm sure they would be giving Note 9 out for free by Christmas on contract or some cheap tabs. Just like they are giving S9 and S9+ out for free + $200 gift card just 5 months after their debut in April.

Android phone biz is cutthroat.

And remember that SD855 with 7nm SoC is only 6-7 months away.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-03-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Galaxy Note 9 is $1629 out right. I believe that will be benchmark for Android device.

End of the day, Shenzhen ain't cheap no more and Foxconn will pass the cost down the line.
    The Note 9 isn't that expensive unless you get the Max storage option, just like the iPhone Xs MAX is $2K with the highest storage option. I believe the Note 9 is only $1299 for the 'base' storage model which would compare to the $1519 iPhone Xs Max.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I see that, but what I am saying is that the iPhone that will be most likely to compete with the Pixel 3 XL went up in price. Last year that was the X (vs Pixel 2 XL), this year it's the Xs Max and it's ~$200 more.
    Well it didn't go up in price. It's a new model. There was no X Max.

At the end of the day, the shitty CDN$ is our biggest enemy.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I'm waiting on Snapdragon 855 too. In chip quantities they have already specified a price of $5 more than the 845 (in thousand unit quantities for manufacturers)

Its definitely coming, unlike 10nm Intel chips for desktops - four years later.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Reviews on the Pixel 3/XL are starting to surface, surprisingly even iVerge has nothing bad to say about it other than they can scratch the glass if they abuse the phone (duh), notch/bezels may not be to everyone's taste, and apparently USA carrier availability isn't great. So basically no complaints with the hardware itself which is a good start.

Also, google is adding external mic compatibility to all Pixels soon.

EDIT:

Panel confirmed to be Samsung (as everyone already suspected).

Poor repairability rating but very good sealing and heat dissipation.

Speakers and haptic engine greatly improved.

New image sensors front & rear (Sony IMX363 & IMX355)

Camera has flicker detection so you don't get messed up shots under lighting that cycles in a way that is invisible to the human eye but ruins the photo.

Hardware is capable of 4K/60fps so that may come in a future firmware update.

Features coming to older Pixels:
    Adjustable portrait bokeh
    Night sight
    Gmail Smart Compose
    Playground
    Duplex
    Call Screen (ETA TBD)

The rest will be exclusive to the Pixel 3 as they are mostly hardware related.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-16-2018 at 09:58 AM.

My Ride
    an econo box

OnePlus 6T announced today. Looks like pretty great bang for buck. $719 in Canada for the 128GB with 6GB of RAM. Despite OnePlus' price creep the last few years the prices of the mainstream flagships have increased even more so making OnePlus a way better value for most people.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    OnePlus 6T announced today. Looks like pretty great bang for buck. $719 in Canada for the 128GB with 6GB of RAM. Despite OnePlus' price creep the last few years the prices of the mainstream flagships have increased even more so making OnePlus a way better value for most people.
    That's unfortunate that they also decided to get rid of the 3.5mm jack. I have the wireless bullets, and they're decent as a daily/gym set, but I still use a wired set on the bike. I won't need to replace my 5T for a while I hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    That's unfortunate that they also decided to get rid of the 3.5mm jack. I have the wireless bullets, and they're decent as a daily/gym set, but I still use a wired set on the bike. I won't need to replace my 5T for a while I hope.
    I agree - something like the headphone jack is a good way for these sub-brands to make themselves stand out. Sucks they got rid of it, but these days they can do things like that "because everyone else is doing it" and not really have to justify it. Kudos to Samsung for still doing the headphone jack AND expandable memory without compromising waterproofing.

As it is, their pricing is IMHO too close to the typical flagship devices to be attractive, but everyone will have a different opinion there depending on what's important to them.

I agree - something like the headphone jack is a good way for these sub-brands to make themselves stand out. Sucks they got rid of it, but these days they can do things like that "because everyone else is doing it" and not really have to justify it. Kudos to Samsung for still doing the headphone jack AND expandable memory without compromising waterproofing.

As it is, their pricing is IMHO too close to the typical flagship devices to be attractive, but everyone will have a different opinion there depending on what's important to them.
    Galaxy S10 will likely lose the headphone jack since everyone is ditching it.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    Yeah I've read that might happen as well - hopefully not. It'll be a sad day when the last of the major brands ditches it. If it saves them money and everyone else is doing it, it's probably hard to justify internally. Between that and these god awful notches we have to deal with, I do not like the direction things are going.

Yeah I've read that might happen as well - hopefully not. It'll be a sad day when the last of the major brands ditches it. If it saves them money and everyone else is doing it, it's probably hard to justify internally. Between that and these god awful notches we have to deal with, I do not like the direction things are going.
    S10 rumored to have in-display (or behind display) front cameras too based on technology demonstration.

Lose headphone jack, but make up for it with no notch?
    ---

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

And since the headphone jack going away is such a big thing... I'll be sticking with my S7 for sometime. Headphone jack and SD Card slot are two major things for me.

S10 rumored to have in-display (or behind display) front cameras too based on technology demonstration.

Lose headphone jack, but make up for it with no notch?
    Haha, I can't argue with that trade. Not bad!

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Ive been using the Pixel 3 XL for a little while and its an impressive handset with many high end features and a great camera. It would be a stretch to say ive been "blown away" by it when compared to my Huawei P20 pro. I did have high expectations and the P3XL meets many of them but I would expect it to do so with the expected price tag. I was able to sample the night mode feature for the first time yesterday and there is definitely a market for this to be an exception night mode camera but if I had to pick a designated night camera on a handset, my P20 would take it.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone have suggestions for Android phone to replace my wifes Samsung Galaxy s6 in a few months? We've been generally happy with the Galaxy line of phones, have both been on them since S3 I think. Open to other brands, but must stay android. Preferably something that's not all the way top of the line too, as the minimum monthly spends are ridiculous on Telus.

Longer battery life would be nice. Snappy performance all feels good. Don't care that much about camera, since everything is so good anyway. Overall size not important, this isn't tablet replacement like some people seem to use it as.

I guess all the newer Galaxy phones have the USB-C connector for charging. Damn, we have dozens of the older style cords around for charging cameras, e-readers, tablets etc. Guess we'll have to modernize . . . . Unless something out there uses the older connector.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 10-30-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I bet a Samsung A5 would fit the bill nicely if you're just looking for newer not necessarily faster/better.

Last edited by jwslam; 10-30-2018 at 11:45 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    I bet a Samsung A5 would fit the bill nicely.
    I'll have to look into this one, but looks like telus sells the A8 version for same commitment too.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Anyone have suggestions for Android phone to replace my wifes Samsung Galaxy s6 in a few months? We've been generally happy with the Galaxy line of phones, have both been on them since S3 I think. Open to other brands, but must stay android. Preferably something that's not all the way top of the line too, as the minimum monthly spends are ridiculous on Telus.

Longer battery life would be nice. Snappy performance all feels good. Don't care that much about camera, since everything is so good anyway. Overall size not important, this isn't tablet replacement like some people seem to use it as.

I guess all the newer Galaxy phones have the USB-C connector for charging. Damn, we have dozens of the older style cords around for charging cameras, e-readers, tablets etc. Guess we'll have to modernize . . . . Unless something out there uses the older connector.
    What is your budget?

You can buy brand new Pixel XL's for ~$495 CAD and the market is about to be flooded with cheap Pixel 2 XL's.

Up to a Galaxy S7 you can still use micro USB. If not, high quality USB-C cables are only ~$10.

If you show up with your own phone, the plans are way cheaper, so just something to consider.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What is your budget?

You can buy brand new Pixel XL's for ~$495 CAD and the market is about to be flooded with cheap Pixel 2 XL's.

Up to a Galaxy S7 you can still use micro USB. If not, high quality USB-C cables are only ~$10.

If you show up with your own phone, the plans are way cheaper, so just something to consider.
    Yeah, we run a BYOD plan on one phone right now. The plans are very good.

Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 29 ... LastLast