Quantcast
Cell phones and kids - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cell phones and kids

Default Cell phones and kids

How are people handling getting phones for their kids? Is there a decent plan out there that family members can share data etc? Rogers basically told me i need to get their $60 15gb plan and add to my account, but that seems real steep for my grade school kids. Curious what other parents are doing.

My Ride
    *The First*

I'm putting my kids into the dryer so they shrink back down into toddlers and I can have another several years to avoid dealing with this.

smrt. i waited too long and they dont fit in the dryer anymore

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

If you have Telus home internet and don’t have cell plans with them you can get $27 per line if you open 4 lines. 80gb each, shareable, Canada wide calling.

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm putting my kids into the dryer so they shrink back down into toddlers and I can have another several years to avoid dealing with this.
    Genius.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by z24_wheels View Post
    How are people handling getting phones for their kids? Is there a decent plan out there that family members can share data etc? Rogers basically told me i need to get their $60 15gb plan and add to my account, but that seems real steep for my grade school kids. Curious what other parents are doing.
    I have 4 phone lines with public Mobile for $116 total. Read the public Mobile thread for info.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2002 jeep tj

just get them some burner flip phones and let them use them in case of an emergency only lol and top them up monthly

My Ride
    4x4

Kiddo got my temporary moto g whatever from Costco that was imho unusable - public mobile sim card, 15$/month with unlimited local, 200ld, and 2gb of data.

Surprisingly - highly prized device in his world and he's actually being good about not loosing it/breaking it which I figured would be the bigger issue.

Here is my $0.02

As soon as they can reliably operate a phone, get them one. With data...

My thoughts on why:

- Emergencies both at the home and outside of the home. We do not have a home phone anymore and means of communication is important when they start staying on their own. We also dont have payphones anymore and strangers are more likely to ignore you if there is an emergency because people are selfish pricks.
    - Tracking for innocent and important reasons. Sometimes its good to know when he will roll in so I can time cooking his eggs. Sometimes he isn't where he says he is. I dont burn this bridge though because i want the channel to remain open incase i really need it.
    - Punishment. You can lock them down when they act a fool and its like the sky is falling. Probably the worst thing to ever happen to them ever. It works well
    - Jealousy. Kids are getting them earlier and earlier so I would rather have my kid be the one others are jealous of. Yea, i know life isn't fair and all that BS lines we give them, but kids are ruthless and will be awful to each other for stupid shit. Kids get them eventually anyways, might as well make them earn it early on.
    - Teaching them how to manage screen on time. Its easier to teach kids healthy habits early on when they aren't teenagers that think they know everything. An early start to health behaviors will mean they will stick better when they are older.

My first kid got one when he was 7 and we started leaving him home alone for short periods of time. He's 16 now and its worked out really well. Our latest will also be 7 when he gets his.
    Last edited by spike98; 09-19-2023 at 09:51 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just wait until your kid has a phone with data and they still won't tell you when they need to be picked up from somewhere until you are busy doing other shit. Then it's your fault for not coming fast when they finally answer your text 2 hours later.

Fucking pop drinkers....
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Just wait until your kid has a phone with data and they still won't tell you when they need to be picked up from somewhere until you are busy doing other shit. Then it's your fault for not coming fast when they finally answer your text 2 hours later.

Fucking pop drinkers....
    Leave em. If they are old enough to use a phone they’re old enough to figure out transit home if they’re being a shit.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Good idea, ill put mine on low temp to just keep em the same size

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    Here is my $0.02

My thoughts on why:

- Emergencies both at the home and outside of the home. We do not have a home phone anymore and means of communication is important when they start staying on their own. We also dont have payphones anymore and strangers are more likely to ignore you if there is an emergency because people are selfish pricks.
    - Tracking for innocent and important reasons. Sometimes its good to know when he will roll in so I can time cooking his eggs. Sometimes he isn't where he says he is. I dont burn this bridge though because i want the channel to remain open incase i really need it.
    - Punishment. You can lock them down when they act a fool and its like the sky is falling. Probably the worst thing to ever happen to them ever. It works well
    - Jealousy. Kids are getting them earlier and earlier so I would rather have my kid be the one others are jealous of. Yea, i know life isn't fair and all that BS lines we give them, but kids are ruthless and will be awful to each other for stupid shit. Kids get them eventually anyways, might as well make them earn it early on.

My first kid got one when he was 7 and we started leaving him home alone for short periods of time. He's 16 now and its worked out really well. Our latest will also be 7 when he gets his.
    - Teaching them how to manage screen on time. Its easier to teach kids healthy habits early on when they aren't teenagers that think they know everything. An early start to health behaviors will mean they will stick better when they are older.
    7 years old with a phone? I agree with most of the stuff you said but 7? Jesus

Here is my $0.02

My thoughts on why:

My kids are fully in the jealous camp. Oldest is grade 7 (12 years old) and no phone for him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post

7 years old with a phone? I agree with most of the stuff you said but 7? Jesus
    Lots of people say that, but why? Genuine question. What about the notion of a 7 year old having a phone is faux pas?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Lots of people say that, but why? Genuine question. What about the notion of a 7 year old having a phone is faux pas?
    Have you seen the toxicity rampant on all of the internet? It's a poor choice to give a 7 year old a smartphone unless it can be locked down to just use services like google maps and messages.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My main motivation for giving my kids cellphones was for times they were away from the home without adult supervision. They could call or text me for assisstance or advice. If your kid is mature enough at 7 to be left alone outside the house, they are more advanced than mine were.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Have you seen the toxicity rampant on all of the internet? It's a poor choice to give a 7 year old a smartphone unless it can be locked down to just use services like google maps and messages.
    I have seen in. Its MUCH worse on my oldest now at 16 than when he was younger. Additionally, giving a child at most ages, full access to the internet unmonitored is dumb. Your argument can also be applied to tablets as well? Do you think a 7 year old shouldn't have a tablet? What about a Chromebook like the ones they use in grade 1?

My point is, it isn't the device, its the parents not teaching kids about the responsible use of the technology, monitoring that use, and also modeling that behavior themselves.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

I dunno dude, I have a big response typed up, but you've made your choice. Different strokes for different folks. Hope it works out for you and your kid

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    I dunno dude, I have a big response typed up, but you've made your choice. Different strokes for different folks. Hope it works out for you and your kid
    Well that doesn't help me see the other side of the debate lol.

I have made my choice with my first and will make my choice with the second. Doesn't mean they can't be different or there isn't a better way based on a rational argument.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For me, I didn't see a benefit to cellphone for my kids at that age.
    My 11 year old has a "dumb phone" and I'm glad of that. I kinda wish my teen had one like that too. Smartphones are a hassle and I don't like them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast