Quantcast
Android Thread - Page 22 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Thread

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the days of everyone going for the $1000+ flagship is over. iPhone XR is now the top selling iPhone.

That said, Samsung had trouble moving S10 512GB that they were giving them away at 55% off MSRP. Cant' say no to that, especially next Oneplus Flagship is rumored to be $1000.
    I agree. I think we're seeing what the upper limit of what the general public is willing to pay for their phones now. I feel the technology has kind of plateaued at the moment: upgraded specs are only marginally better than the previous year's, and any new features coming out are gimmicky (ie: folding screens, 5 camera lenses, etc).

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    As a pixel 2 owner, not sure what would make me upgrade yet. Nothing presented thus far has gotten me excited.
    I mainly did it for the larger screen. Going from I think it was a GS7 with a larger screen, I didn't like the screen footprint on the P2.

Midrange is a good idea though spreading it a half a year apart seems kind of odd. Maybe it was triggered by the low sales of the P3.

Google and Nest are now integrated and you will be able to migrate your nest to a google account. Google Nest Hub (Prior Home Hub) is coming to Canada now for $169 with a free google home mini initially (No name change to nest mini tho). Nest Hub Max will not be here to start. Seeing how long this took, could be a long time for it to arrive. That one is a 10" with a built in nest cam which works for google duo and face detection for customized results.

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

I ended up ordering the 3a, the offer for those in the states isn't bad at all:

$399 selling price
    -$250 trade in for an iPhone SE/6/6s/+
    +$100 google store credit

My Ride
    an econo box

Anybody else getting RCS messaging now? I'm using Google messages on a Pixel 3. The other day I noticed that I had it when texting my brother who uses a Huawei P30 Pro. We are both on Rogers. The chat bubbles turned to a different colour, that's how I noticed it. Sent a couple of test MMS and they came through way higher quality than usual, and I'm getting delivered/read reports for each message too. Very similar to iMessage.

For those not sure what RCS is check out this link: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...rcs-messaging/

Hopefully this rolls out more widely, and hopefully Apple will make it available for iPhone too, so we can FINALLY have decent cross platform messaging within stock apps.
    Last edited by KrisYYC; 06-13-2019 at 11:11 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    We are both on Rogers.
    Anything else, experience will vary. I'm surprised Google went so hard into RCS and left providers to support and extend the standard. The fuck were they thinking. It's been a few years and there's already interoperability issues between providers, and if it eventually takes off, you're at the mercy of providers for pricing. Don't be surprised if you need to buy an RCS package, or pay for overages.

The open concept is great, but it's flawed from the beginning giving the control to mobile providers.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What other Canadian providers are on board?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Bell launched it years ago. It can't cross Bell's network, and IIRC only works on some Android phones (Bell limiting).

Again, RCS in the hands of mobile providers is fucking retarded.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Any word if Apple is going to adopt RCS? Would be nice to have an iMessage-like experience when texting Android friends.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Any word if Apple is going to adopt RCS? Would be nice to have an iMessage-like experience when texting Android friends.
    Again, they haven't even gotten android to android working over multiple providers lol. I would be very surprised if Apple jumped on board with such a fucked up user experience today.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Again, they haven't even gotten android to android working over multiple providers lol. I would be very surprised if Apple jumped on board with such a fucked up user experience today.
    On the other side of the coin, maybe involvement from Apple would be the kick in the ass it needs to actually get fixed/refined?

Seems pointless to me. Every single person I know, regardless of Android or Apple, uses WhatsApp almost exclusively because it works flawlessly cross platform and is end to end encrypted. You can already send high quality photos and video. Even my Grandma uses WhatsApp haha. It's better than iMessage or anything Android has anyway. I don't think anyone is going to change what they use unless it works perfectly cross-platform, and even then they would need a reason switch en masse which I also don't see. Getting people to switch to a new chat platform from something that already works for pretty much everyone is going to be really tough IMHO.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Seems pointless to me. Every single person I know, regardless of Android or Apple, uses WhatsApp almost exclusively because it works flawlessly cross platform and is end to end encrypted. You can already send high quality photos and video. Even my Grandma uses WhatsApp haha. It's better than iMessage or anything Android has anyway. I don't think anyone is going to change what they use unless it works perfectly cross-platform, and even then they would need a reason switch en masse which I also don't see. Getting people to switch to a new chat platform from something that already works for pretty much everyone is going to be really tough IMHO.
    Of all people I thought you would be the one that cares about media quality. AFAIK WhatsApp still compresses media so you get potato quality videos and shrunken images. I haven't used it in years, but my parents still show me shitty pictures and complain it's from others via WhatsApp.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I only have whatsapp installed because of 1 or 2 people I go to school with in groups etc who don’t have iPhones.

Terrible app. Will be deleting the moment I am done with my program.

Installed the desktop app on my laptop and it manages to cut my battery life down to 1-2 hours and make my fans run at max it is so poorly optimized.

Pretty much the only thing wrong with iMessage is you can’t send messages when offline, which is annoying trying to text in the elevator or parkade at work.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Of all people I thought you would be the one that cares about media quality. AFAIK WhatsApp still compresses media so you get potato quality videos and shrunken images. I haven't used it in years, but my parents still show me shitty pictures and complain it's from others via WhatsApp.
    it definitely still does make media look like shit. i guess its good in a way for people that dont have a lot of data.

besides that, i really dont mind it. i like the feature where when you share a youtube video, it plays in the app and of course being cross platform.

The only time i SMS these days is when its 1 on 1 or its a random person like when selling on kijiji. The random person use case is where i can see this RCS really being useful (sending pics and works over data)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Beyond.ca: Has an android thread
    Apple users: stop in to tell us how much they like Apple.

Yep, this checks out.

Although, I will say, of the multiple times I've had apple phones for work, imessage was always the best thing about that experience. It's good software. Would be fully great if they had cross-platform support.

My Ride
    an econo box

Seems pointless to me. Every single person I know, regardless of Android or Apple, uses WhatsApp almost exclusively
    That is the complete opposite of my experience, especially with iphone users. The majority of my friends and colleagues just use whatever the stock messages app is for their phone. A few that have family abroad will use WhatsApp or Viber to chat with family or for group chats. But that's about it. Most iPhone users don't even know what WhatsApp is.

My Ride
    an econo box

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post

Installed the desktop app on my laptop and it manages to cut my battery life down to 1-2 hours and make my fans run at max it is so poorly optimized.
    Google Messages works on windows computers now, and I know iMessage works on pretty much all Apple products. Can you send regular texts from a Mac? Or only iMessage to an iPhone user?

You can send full size images on WhatsApp, you have been able to for a long time. You can even send 100+ MB videos if the recipient is willing to download it. It asks if you want to downsize them or not. Downsized they are still way better than anything that comes through a text or MMS and you can send originals.

That is the complete opposite of my experience, especially with iphone users. The majority of my friends and colleagues just use whatever the stock messages app is for their phone. A few that have family abroad will use WhatsApp or Viber to chat with family or for group chats. But that's about it. Most iPhone users don't even know what WhatsApp is.
    How do your cross-platform friends participate in group chats? There is no smooth way to do that without using a third party program. 99% of my texting is in group chats, seems to be that way for most other people I know as well.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-13-2019 at 04:24 PM.

My Ride
    an econo box

You can send full size images on WhatsApp, you have been able to for a long time. You can even send 100+ MB videos if the recipient is willing to download it. It asks if you want to downsize them or not. Downsized they are still way better than anything that comes through a text or MMS and you can send originals.

How do your cross-platform friends participate in group chats? There is no smooth way to do that without using a third party program. 99% of my texting is in group chats, seems to be that way for most other people I know as well.
    Most of us don't group chat. The few that do use WhatsApp or Viber mostly. I'd say that's less than 10% though. At work (non-office environment) all communication is face to face or over handheld UHF radio. I don't group text with my friends at all. Maybe I'm just getting old lol.

Most of us don't group chat. The few that do use WhatsApp or Viber mostly. I'd say that's less than 10% though. At work (non-office environment) all communication is face to face or over handheld UHF radio. I don't group text with my friends at all. Maybe I'm just getting old lol.
    Fair enough! It will vary for sure between groups of friends and I guess age groups too haha. For both work an personal, literally 99% of my texting is in group. Exceptions are basically just people who don't text me regularly or vise versa. We have family chats for every combination of family members/inlaws, dozens of friend group chats, new group chats any time something is being planned/organized (helps avoid the nightmare that is Facebook), etc. It's also nice to never have to worry about switching apps when traveling, or telling other people to use a different app to contact you while on vacation. At least from my perspective there is no downside whatsoever.

Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast