Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Thread

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

you can get a Pixel XL with Koodo for about $600

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/32gb-...rvice-2114188/

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Thanks but I don't live in Canada anymore so I'm just looking for an unlocked phone I can pick-up without hassle.

Although the Pixel XL camera seems better I think I'm just going to go with the OP5 and save the $200.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Google just dropped the price on the Pixel / Pixel XL.

I want to order a new phone as I'm traveling to Canada in 10 days (phones are crazy expensive in South America).

What would you choose and why?

OnePlus 5 @ $650
    Pixel @ $774 (including Daydream VR)
    Pixel XL @ $850 (including Daydream VR)

Totally different classes but could boil down to this:

You want latest specs, OP5.

You want latest patches, Pixel.

Both has 2 years of update left. Pixel will get O (2017) and P (2018) and get patches until 2019. OP5 may get O only given their track record of stop updating after 2 years.

Cameras are on par (after OP5 fixed a lot of crap in their firmware). Screen is 1080p OLED vs 2k LCD.

^^ Camera on the pixel is still a fair bit better, particularly with how it handles HDRs both in high contrast situations and also for noise reduction. It's done in a fairly unique way, fed through the Hexagon DSP on the SD821. The electronic video stabilization on the Pixel is also amazing, and outperforms the OIS units. You also get free, unlimited full resolution original quality photo and video (including 4K) cloud storage if you buy a Pixel, which is a big deal if you take lots of photo/video.

The Pixel XL would be an easy choice for me from that list. It's already so fast that there would be little to no no real-world difference compared to the OP5 or similar. Everything is pretty well instant as it is (phones these days are so over-spec'd for typical usage). The screen is also much better (on the XL) which is a big deal for me at least, since it's what you look at 100% of the time. Battery life on the XL is insane, the best I have seen in any flagship phone to date. I average 48-60ish hours between charges depending on usage. I have never killed it in a day. The Pixel XL also gives you the option of a decent VR experience if you want to try out the Daydream headset. If you prefer smaller phones though, go with the Pixel.

The OP5 currently has some issues that I would want worked out before going down that road at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    ^^ Camera on the pixel is still a fair bit better, particularly with how it handles HDRs both in high contrast situations and also for noise reduction. It's done in a fairly unique way, fed through the Hexagon DSP on the SD821. The electronic video stabilization on the Pixel is also amazing, and outperforms the OIS units. You also get free, unlimited full resolution original quality photo and video (including 4K) cloud storage if you buy a Pixel, which is a big deal if you take lots of photo/video.

The Pixel XL would be an easy choice for me from that list. It's already so fast that there would be little to no no real-world difference compared to the OP5 or similar. Everything is pretty well instant as it is (phones these days are so over-spec'd for typical usage). The screen is also much better (on the XL) which is a big deal for me at least, since it's what you look at 100% of the time. Battery life on the XL is insane, the best I have seen in any flagship phone to date. I average 48-60ish hours between charges depending on usage. I have never killed it in a day. The Pixel XL also gives you the option of a decent VR experience if you want to try out the Daydream headset. If you prefer smaller phones though, go with the Pixel.

The OP5 currently has some issues that I would want worked out before going down that road at all.
    This. Picking one up from koodo for cheaper than the OP5 makes this a no brainer.

My Ride
    LNF

I just got in on this deal for the Pixel XL from Koodo. I wanted the smaller Pixel but that deal ended yesterday..

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Tough decision but I went with the Pixel XL through the google website ($900 after tax) for the better camera, free cloud hosting, android updates and free Daydream VR.

I'd love to support OnePlus (I had the OP1 & OP2) but have read there are a lot of WiFi connectivity issues with the OP5 so it seems worth the extra money for the Pixel XL. Hopefully I don't regret my decision once the new Pixel is released.

My Ride
    ute

when is it being rleased?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Not announced but likely within the next 2-3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    End of September or early October - google does all their phone announcements then. All important details are known, it's just a matter of time.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I'd love to support OnePlus (I had the OP1 & OP2) but have read there are a lot of WiFi connectivity issues with the OP5 so it seems worth the extra money for the Pixel XL. Hopefully I don't regret my decision once the new Pixel is released.
    I have to say the 1st month with OP5 had been a bit of a disaster. Latest update, they fucked up doze or power draw on sleep and it's been withdrawn and rereleased.

The new EIS for 4K video is good tho and wifi is mostly fixed. I have not had as many noticeable issues since 4.5.8.

Anyone else running 8.0 / Oreo? Just forced my OTA and I'm impressed with it so far on the Pixel XL. It also freed up a bunch of space on my phone somehow, must be an even lighter OS than 7.X. Screen real estate looks slightly modified too, the screen looks bigger with everything pushed closer to the edges.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-23-2017 at 03:25 PM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

^ How do you force OTA on Pixel XL?

^ How do you force OTA on Pixel XL?
    Join beta program, Android 8.0 comes to your phone immediately (like 1 second after you click 'join'). Update phone, and leave the beta program right after you're done. Voila, you now have OTA 8.0 and aren't tied to any beta versions. I do this with all my devices.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Is there any more news on the Lenovo Tab 4?

Seeing rumors about a mid-September US release, was hoping someone might have an idea on when we might see it in Canada.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Purchased a HTC 10 cause it was on sale for $499. But damn that new Galaxy Note 8 teaser looked good
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Purchased a HTC 10 cause it was on sale for $499. But damn that new Galaxy Note 8 teaser looked good
    Note 8 is too long. And S8 and S8+ being heavily discounted now, it's hard to justify the pen and and bigger screen for over $300 difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Note 8 is too long. And S8 and S8+ being heavily discounted now, it's hard to justify the pen and and bigger screen for over $300 difference.
    There are more differences than just that...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    There are more differences than just that...
    Yeah, a dual camera that's zoom instead of wide. Something you already can have with other phones.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

I think I will wait for the announcement of Pixel 2 on Oct 4th to figure out if I will get the X.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast