Quantcast
Android Thread - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Thread

Haha WalMart leaked the Google Home Mini and Pixel2 XL. Availability is apparently October 19:

My Ride
    Grimace

Pixel 2 $649 USD -> $899 CDN (iPhone 8 is $699 USD and $899 CDN for example)
    Pixel 2 XL $849 USD -> $1159 CDN
    Google Home Mini $49 USD -> $79 CDN
    Google Home Max $399 USD -> i dunno like $600 CDN
    Google Pixelbook $999 USD -> $1299 CDN

Looks like pretty normal pricing to me, and just as expected. It's a better deal than last year especially since base storage is now 64GB. They are using approximately 1.25 FX which is accurate. I would not expect them to be any cheaper than the iPhones especially with their spec sheets.

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

Pretty happy with the new lineup, I'll be pre-ordering the Pixel XL 2 for myself.
    Water resistant, front facing dual speakers, smaller bezels, full f stop, and huge battery offset the missing headphone jack for myself.
    Moved to the US now, hopefully the same promos back home: Free Home Mini + Unlimited google drive storage + 0% financing through google for those that need it.

My Ride
    Exploded.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/04/go...e-translation/

One of the surprises we got today from Google’s hardware event were a pair of bluetooth headphones called Pixel Buds. They’re wired behind the neck but they’re every bit a competitor to Apple’s AirPods.

They’re $159, they’re available in November and they’ll let you understand 40 different languages. Seriously.
    :O

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like pretty normal pricing to me, and just as expected. It's a better deal than last year especially since base storage is now 64GB. They are using approximately 1.25 FX which is accurate. I would not expect them to be any cheaper than the iPhones especially with their spec sheets.
    It is almost 1.4x on the P2. Their pricing has usually much more closely reflected the exchange rate. Last years release, $649 USD was around $880 CDN, now it is only $810. Only way I would get one now is if I bought it through BHP

edit: I caved and ordered a 64gb P2. You get a code for a google home mini so there is $80 in value there and having checked the prices of the G6 ($1000), iPhone 8 ($929) and GS8 ($1030) to compare, $900 is a fair price in our market. The $130 to go from 64gb to 128gb is pretty amusing though.
    Last edited by schocker; 10-05-2017 at 09:27 AM.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

I don't mind the pricing on new Google phones. Seems pretty standard now to spend over a grand on a new phone.
    I am choked, however, at the fact that they decided to go the Apple route by getting rid of the headphone jack.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by JordanEG6 View Post
    I don't mind the pricing on new Google phones. Seems pretty standard now to spend over a grand on a new phone.
    I am choked, however, at the fact that they decided to go the Apple route by getting rid of the headphone jack.
    I don't miss the headphone jack at all. Only downside was spending money replacing my 2 sets (one daily use, another set with noise cancelling for flights). Airpods, I'm using them more than my old default wired set for music and calls. Convenient factor is 1000x better. For the noise cancelling set, not as big of an improvement in convenience, went to a lightning one so it's not saddled by a battery pack and finding replacement battery when it dies. Could've went with an over the ear one that would've been even more convenient, but they only allow ear buds during take off and landing unless you're in business class.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

I have been using jaybirds for years now with great success and joined the wait list for the pixel buds. Only time I plug in is on planes so that is ipad or mbp so I don't mind much until those also lose their jacks. I can imagine I would lose an adapter very quickly as well.

One big change now is that all non-google products were removed from the google store. ie android wear completely disappeared
    Will preorder a cloth case as well as that looks nice and my GS7 currently looks pretty beat from having no case.

One of the ugliest designs for a flagship phone if you ask me. Android experience is great though. And the unlimited photo and video storage makes it pretty good value even at a grand. Not a fan of Apple and their OS but you gotta give it to them for design. Apple products are sleek and sexy. Pixel 2 with the wires on their Bluetooth ear buds going around the back of your head looks super geeky in comparison.

My Ride
    Grimace

I don't mind the design, except for the giant bezels. At least it has stereo speakers this time. Like 90% of wireless buds have a wire connecting them though so I don't have an issue with that.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    One of the ugliest designs for a flagship phone if you ask me. Android experience is great though. And the unlimited photo and video storage makes it pretty good value even at a grand. Not a fan of Apple and their OS but you gotta give it to them for design. Apple products are sleek and sexy. Pixel 2 with the wires on their Bluetooth ear buds going around the back of your head looks super geeky in comparison.
    I think this pastel color scheme is to set it apart from the black/chrome look of Apple/Samsung designs. Consider the white 128GB P2 XL and blue 64GB P2 are both sold out, people seems to like those color combos.

My Ride
    an econo box

After some difficulty I managed to pre-order the Pixel 2 "Kinda Blue" on Google store. Last night it showed it was available to order with shipping in "6 to 7 weeks" but when I went to add to cart it said "sold out". Going back to the phone selection page the Kinda Blue was now showing sold out and could not be selected. Bummer I thought.

Today for fun I decided to check if any of the other colours had sold out. Went to Google store on my phone browser at work and low and behold the Kinda Blue was showing available again. Added to cart and checked out. Pre-order successful! Shipping date of November 20th though lol.

Not sure if it was a bug on Google store, or if some people cancelled their pre-order and I was able to snag one.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Pixel 2 XL falls on face right out of the gate.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/22/...screen-burn-in

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

Actually reserved this with Fido but I have been seeing a lot of reports about the screen.. and now this. I have been with an iPhone since it came here in Canada and wanted to try Android but I guess, I might not.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    Grimace

Pixel 2 non xl is goat now
    I like this phone a lot. Very smooth, nice to be on stock android again, great battery/camera/finger print spread.
    I did get the speckled fabric case which definitely looked like it had orange accents, but they are in fact hot pink.

Only problem now is figuring out cables and chargers. What a mess usb c is currently. Basically have to stick with either apple/belkin (apple store ones)/google.

Burn in would be visible with the screen off and nobody has shown that yet - most likely what people are complaining about is image retention. Sounds like LG shipped some crappy initial panels.

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    Pixel 2 non xl is goat now
    Only problem now is figuring out cables and chargers. What a mess usb c is currently. Basically have to stick with either apple/belkin (apple store ones)/google.
    I have multiple USB C cables now from Amazon and they all work perfectly with quick charging and no issues. It's not that hard to find good ones and they are nicer than Google's cables haha - just need to pick from the major third party brands like Anker or similar. Same with my third party lightning cables - they are WAY nicer than Apple's cables and don't fail the bend points like Apple's do.

My XL 2 has a delivery date of Nov 25 so I'll be waiting a while.

My Ride
    Grimace

I have multiple USB C cables now from Amazon and they all work perfectly with quick charging and no issues. It's not that hard to find good ones and they are nicer than Google's cables haha - just need to pick from the major third party brands like Anker or similar. Same with my third party lightning cables - they are WAY nicer than Apple's cables and don't fail the bend points like Apple's do.

My XL 2 has a delivery date of Nov 25 so I'll be waiting a while.
    I will get an anker type a to type c but will probably just end up getting another google charger for now which comes with the c-c cable. Not that pricey when you notice some of the nice 3rd party ones aren't much less and don't come with a cable. The real mess I found now is that data transfer speed difference between cables. Pixel charges insanely fast though with the USB PD charger.

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    I will get an anker type a to type c but will probably just end up getting another google charger for now which comes with the c-c cable. Not that pricey when you notice some of the nice 3rd party ones aren't much less and don't come with a cable. The real mess I found now is that data transfer speed difference between cables. Pixel charges insanely fast though with the USB PD charger.
    Oh ok, I haven't done any data transfer so I can't comment there - just charging.

They do indeed charge ridiculous fast. What I have found now that I drive to work every day is that my phone charges enough in my car each day and the battery life itself is so good that I can't even remember when I last plugged it into the wall haha. It's also better for the battery than always charging it up to 100% from low so that's a bonus.

My Ride
    Grimace

Oh ok, I haven't done any data transfer so I can't comment there - just charging.

They do indeed charge ridiculous fast. What I have found now that I drive to work every day is that my phone charges enough in my car each day and the battery life itself is so good that I can't even remember when I last plugged it into the wall haha. It's also better for the battery than always charging it up to 100% from low so that's a bonus.
    Yah I haven't tried it yet, but figured I want the faster transfer if I get the type a cable so that I can put stuff on my PC.
    My S7 I was always plugging in at work, but now since I have only one charger, I leave home with 100% and then by the time I get home say ~12 hours later, still around 30% remaining even with a few hours SOT including waze in the car to and from work. It is a very different experience.

Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast