Quantcast
Android Thread - Page 18 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Thread

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Labor day long weekend, the big 3 were giving away free S9 and S9+ along with BestBuy Gift cards. ($200 for S9, $150 for S9+), as long as sign up for a new plan that's $80/mth or more.

Wonder if retention will honor that.
    I would love to upgrade my phone but I don't think I will be able to anymore. I have a plan that dates over 8 years or more and I've had to fight tooth and nail to keep it. Its a old super grand fathered 6gb plan that I got and only pay $80/month. The equivalent plan would be over $100-110 if I stayed with Telus.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    I would love to upgrade my phone but I don't think I will be able to anymore. I have a plan that dates over 8 years or more and I've had to fight tooth and nail to keep it. Its a old super grand fathered 6gb plan that I got and only pay $80/month. The equivalent plan would be over $100-110 if I stayed with Telus.
    Or it would be $23 cheaper (for 10GB) if you would have swapped it earlier in the year.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    That weekend, my colleague went since his old Rogers plan expired.

His new 2 year contract is $10 less/mth ($80 instead of $90) and 2GB more (8GB total), unlimited everything and $0 S9+ and $150 BB gift card.

Pretty killer back to school deal. I'm pretty sure next big sales won't be here until we get closer to Christmas/Black Friday.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Retentions just gave me the S9+ for $30 out of pocket costs, no change in my plan. Ive always been a Google phone guy but the lack of headphone port killed it for me, I'm not replacing my headphones for them.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    LNF

You can get really good deals if you go without a contract.

My wife got a brand new Pixel 2 XL from Koodo for 480$ outright (back to school deal thru bestbuy/koodo) and got offered a public mobile to koodo migration deal for 40$ (26$ for the first year) for 8 gb plus unlimited calling etc.

Yeah I hate running the headphone adapter but I have 2 so I can just leave it attached to my car headphones and home headphones. But all the big phones are going headphone jackless.

Just upgraded Pixel 2 to the new Android OS. Minor changes but hesitated on immediate update because there are usually glitches that need patching.
    So far, battery is marginally better but probably still learning.
    The hand gestures to close and switch between apps are good but takes some learning or muscle memory.
    Worst thing is the ringer volume isn't a simple turn down the toggle. Hope they change that back.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Worst thing is the ringer volume isn't a simple turn down the toggle. Hope they change that back.
    This is the only thing that annoys me as well. The rest of the updates improved the experience after a few days of learning.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylo View Post
    Got the 8/128 version last week. Amazing phone for the value, camera is OK but can use Gcam and an update will be arriving soon as per OnePlus.

Amazon Drive storage, photos unlimited if you have a Prime membership for $80, $12 for 100GB or $60 for 1TB video or file space.
    One note with Prime - videos are NOT unlimited, and with 4K or even 1080P/60 it doesn't take long at all to fill that 5GB quota. RAW files however are included and unlimited which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Yeah the Media volume being the default rocker volume regardless of what the phone is doing is dumb - I think they will get lots of complaints and change that back, or at least make the default customizable (which would be the ideal solution). I much preferred how it was before, where the volume rockers controlled whatever volume was applicable at the moment (i.e. call volume whilst on a call, ringer volume while in a normal state, and media volume while listening to music). I do like the quick touch DND options though. Still getting used to swiping up instead of left to close apps, I preferred the other way I think but probably just because I was used to it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-24-2018 at 08:32 AM.

My Ride
    V8s

Anyone going to get a Pixel 3/XL? I'm currently running a OnePlus 3T, but want to go back to a google phone after a couple oneplus devices. Trying to decide if the Pixel 3 XL will be worth the extra money over a 2 XL (buying outright).

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Anyone going to get a Pixel 3/XL? I'm currently running a OnePlus 3T, but want to go back to a google phone after a couple oneplus devices. Trying to decide if the Pixel 3 XL will be worth the extra money over a 2 XL (buying outright).
    I'm ordering one from Google the first day they are available. My mint 2 XL will be for sale pretty soon if you aren't going new.

I HATE notches though so might get the non-XL to avoid it. Problem is I'm used to the screen real estate so we will see. I will never forgive Andy Rubin and his shitty essential phone for this.

I'm expecting the Pixel 3 to be quite good (99% of the phone has leaked haha) - this time around they have Foxconn making them so it'll be interesting to see if that is better or worse than LG/Huawei.

My Ride
    V8s

Yeah I've read all the leaked info I can find. Seems like it'll be a great phone and aesthetically I really like it. I'm leaning towards the 3XL for the wireless charging and better screen/size ratio. I don't mind the silly notch.

My Ride
    Grimace

I'm contemplating to get a 3 and sell my 2. Depends on pricing if it will stay the same at $900 and also if they throw in a freebie again, maybe the wireless charging dock or something.

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    I'm contemplating to get a 3 and sell my 2. Depends on pricing if it will stay the same at $900 and also if they throw in a freebie again, maybe the wireless charging dock or something.
    I'm guessing they will move pricing up. Historically it always goes up, and it's #1 competitors (Apple and Samsung) all raised prices this year. They are also adding a third camera module, which is an easy way to justify higher pricing and one of the few ways manufacturers can differentiate their products anymore. I'm guessing 64GB XL $1100-1200 and the non-XL $999.

Last year they threw in a speaker but never sent it to me, then refused to send me another one when I inquired about it - was not pleased haha.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Last year they threw in a speaker but never sent it to me, then refused to send me another one when I inquired about it - was not pleased haha.
    That's surprising, I had a few of the nexus phones and got some of the best customer service I've ever had when dealing with Google. Been a couple years, but I didn't think it'd have gone downhill too much.

Hopefully they throw in the Pixel Stand with some of them, that would be awesome.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm guessing they will move pricing up. Historically it always goes up, and it's #1 competitors (Apple and Samsung) all raised prices this year.
    Don't think Apple moved up in price this year, same $999 price tag.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

That's surprising, I had a few of the nexus phones and got some of the best customer service I've ever had when dealing with Google. Been a couple years, but I didn't think it'd have gone downhill too much.

Hopefully they throw in the Pixel Stand with some of them, that would be awesome.
    Yeah normally their CS is unbelievable and I've used it a lot. I have had numerous phone replacements over various Pixel/Nexus generations due to imperfect OLED white uniformity as I am very sensitive to it. Every OLED is prone to this, not just the ones on Google phones, and it's tough to get a perfect one.

What happened in this case was they sent me a promo link to order the free speaker (because I bought a Pixel 2 XL), and I had to cancel it and re-order it because I switched jobs and it was being shipped to my previous office. I went to re-order it and the promo code didn't work. I called, talked to reps, talked to managers, sent emails, chatted, etc. and NOBODY could send me a new promo code for a $30 Home Mini speaker. A company like google...who will send me another $1000 phone no questions asked...did not have the ability to generate a new promo code, credit me $30, credit my play account $30, or offer any solution whatsoever, even partially. I know for a fact they have the ability to generate purchase links with a $0.00 cost because that is how they handle returns and also how they offered me a new headphone adapter. It's my only negative experience with them but I simply do not believe that a company like that had no way to deal with a $30 issue in ANY way. I probably wouldn't have used the speaker much anyway, it just bothered me how unhelpful they were over something so small and inexpensive for them to correct. Any issues I've had that would have cost me far more money have all been immediate replacements, no questions asked beyond "did you try restarting it".

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Don't think Apple moved up in price this year, same $999 price tag.
    Their flagship phone is more than ever before, is it not? Looking at the model that would most closely compete with the Pixel 3 XL (based on leaks anyway) it looks like it starts at $1519 CAD which to my knowledge is more than last year's X.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Their flagship phone is more than ever before, is it not? Looking at the model that would most closely compete with the Pixel 3 XL (based on leaks anyway) it looks like it starts at $1519 CAD which to my knowledge is more than last year's X.
    You get a bigger screen with Xs Max. Xs and X from last year is basically the same.

So yeah, flagship price has moved up, but equally spec'd models are the same. And Xr is tracking to be quite popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    You get a bigger screen with Xs Max. Xs and X from last year is basically the same.

So yeah, flagship price has moved up, but equally spec'd models are the same. And Xr is tracking to be quite popular.
    I see that, but what I am saying is that the iPhone that will be most likely to compete with the Pixel 3 XL went up in price. Last year that was the X (vs Pixel 2 XL), this year it's the Xs Max and it's ~$200 more.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I see that, but what I am saying is that the iPhone that will be most likely to compete with the Pixel 3 XL went up in price. Last year that was the X (vs Pixel 2 XL), this year it's the Xs Max and it's ~$200 more.
    Galaxy Note 9 is $1629 out right. I believe that will be benchmark for Android device.

End of the day, Shenzhen ain't cheap no more and Foxconn will pass the cost down the line.

Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast