Quantcast
Android Thread - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Received my Kinda Blue Pixel 2 today. Wasn't even supposed to ship until today but they shipped it on Thursday.

How are you liking yours? I've only had mine for about 6 hours now but I love it. It's screaming fast, I'm already using the squeeze feature for Google Assistant, the audio quality is great via the dongle, and the phone feels so good in the hands. Perfect size and ergonomics for me. Best Android phone I've used hands down.

I can't wait to give the camera a workout!
    I absolutely love it. This phone is amazing. The camera is more of an improvement over last year's than I had expected. Zero lag anywhere, it doesn't even slow down when updating dozens of apps. I did set my active edge to the highest setting because when I go to hit the power button, sometimes I was activating it. The stereo speakers are loud, buttons feel great. Battery life is hilarious - the phone gets a 20 minute 1A slow charge twice day in my car on the way to/from work and I haven't had to charge it by any other means in a week. It consistently only loses 1% over a 8 hour night as well and I haven't' disabled anything or turned any features off.

I was at a concert last night and took photos with the iPhone 8 and my Pixel XL2 side by side, it's really quite remarkable how much better the Pixel camera is. I'm looking forward to using it more as well.

Wasn't sure I'd like the skinnier form factor but it's been great, especially with 1-handed use, and most things require constant scrolling these days, so the longer screen works well. The blue tint is 100% a non issue and the Galaxys and iPhone X (Samsung Screen) do exactly the same thing when you tilt them angles you would never use them at.

I've noticed Android Auto is more responsive, it's pretty well instant through the dash on my Civic now. Calculating routes, loading different screens, etc. is virtually instant.

I have a replacement one coming though, I am extremely picky about my screens, and I have a slightly uneven screen when displaying white. It bothers me because I consume most of my content on a white background. Almost all OLEDs have this issue to varying degrees, I'm just really sensitive to it (some other people can't see it), so I'll just keep the better of two phones.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    an econo box

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I absolutely love it. This phone is amazing. The camera is more of an improvement over last year's than I had expected. Zero lag anywhere, it doesn't even slow down when updating dozens of apps. I did set my active edge to the highest setting because when I go to hit the power button, sometimes I was activating it. The stereo speakers are loud, buttons feel great. Battery life is hilarious - the phone gets a 20 minute 1A slow charge twice day in my car on the way to/from work and I haven't had to charge it by any other means in a week. It consistently only loses 1% over a 8 hour night as well and I haven't' disabled anything or turned any features off.

I was at a concert last night and took photos with the iPhone 8 and my Pixel XL2 side by side, it's really quite remarkable how much better the Pixel camera is. I'm looking forward to using it more as well.

Wasn't sure I'd like the skinnier form factor but it's been great, especially with 1-handed use, and most things require constant scrolling these days, so the longer screen works well. The blue tint is 100% a non issue and the Galaxys and iPhone X (Samsung Screen) do exactly the same thing when you tilt them angles you would never use them at.

I've noticed Android Auto is more responsive, it's pretty well instant through the dash on my Civic now. Calculating routes, loading different screens, etc. is virtually instant.

I have a replacement one coming though, I am extremely picky about my screens, and I have a slightly uneven screen when displaying white. It bothers me because I consume most of my content on a white background. Almost all OLEDs have this issue to varying degrees, I'm just really sensitive to it (some other people can't see it), so I'll just keep the better of two phones.
    Ah that sucks about the screen. Hopefully the new unit will be better.

I still can't get over how fast Google Assistant is on the Pixel 2. Even compared to other flagship spec Android phones. You can really see the optimization put into the Pixels by google.

Only issue (if you can call it that) I've had was when pairing my Pixel 2 to my car. It wasn't an issue with the phone but rather my car. When creating a name for the device to store in the car's memory it wouldn't let me use "Pixel 2" because it sounded to much like "cancel". Instead of changing the name I just said it in a fake foreign accent haha. I'd love to have Android Auto but I'm nowhere near the point at which I need a new car. I might try an aftermarket Android head unit though.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    #DontBeEvil amirit
    That was dropped over 2 years ago. They have turned evil.

Ah that sucks about the screen. Hopefully the new unit will be better.

I still can't get over how fast Google Assistant is on the Pixel 2. Even compared to other flagship spec Android phones. You can really see the optimization put into the Pixels by google.

Only issue (if you can call it that) I've had was when pairing my Pixel 2 to my car. It wasn't an issue with the phone but rather my car. When creating a name for the device to store in the car's memory it wouldn't let me use "Pixel 2" because it sounded to much like "cancel". Instead of changing the name I just said it in a fake foreign accent haha. I'd love to have Android Auto but I'm nowhere near the point at which I need a new car. I might try an aftermarket Android head unit though.
    The screen is really not that bad at all, most people can't even see it, but I am extremely picky and I stare at a calibrated monitor all day so I pick up on things like that more easily.

The assistant is lightning fast, it's actually quite helpful. I use it for voice to text while driving a lot, and for reminders/alarms. Google Lens is kind of neat too - it's in it's infancy now but you can see that it will be a huge feature soon with future updates.

HDR photos process almost instantly now instead of over 2-3 seconds, so there is a big improvement there too. It will apparently get even faster when they enable the Pixel Core with 8.1.

Android auto is awesome. I use it 100% of the time while I'm in the car. It's perfectly integrated for Google Music and Podcasts (Pocketcast app). The best part though is just having google maps up all the time with live traffic and instant re-routing if it suddenly becomes faster to go another way due to traffic or an accident. I just leave it on all the time even if I know where I'm going and I can see live traffic and the top 3 best routes to my destination at any given time. Messages and phone calls come through well, and you can even reply to Whats App messages and group chats very quickly with voice. It's really good at reading the messages to you as well, I've never heard it mess up. It knows when you're on the way to work or coming home and automatically offers to navigate you there. It keeps all your recent destinations stored too (if you've been looking at them on your phone that day or something earlier) for 1-touch navigation. Google assistant also works through the car. Definitely one of those things I wasn't sure how much I'd use, and now I would never buy a car without it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-21-2017 at 03:28 PM.

My Ride
    an econo box

The screen is really not that bad at all, most people can't even see it, but I am extremely picky and I stare at a calibrated monitor all day so I pick up on things like that more easily.

The assistant is lightning fast, it's actually quite helpful. I use it for voice to text while driving a lot, and for reminders/alarms. Google Lens is kind of neat too - it's in it's infancy now but you can see that it will be a huge feature soon with future updates.

HDR photos process almost instantly now instead of over 2-3 seconds, so there is a big improvement there too. It will apparently get even faster when they enable the Pixel Core with 8.1.

Android auto is awesome. I use it 100% of the time while I'm in the car. It's perfectly integrated for Google Music and Podcasts (Pocketcast app). The best part though is just having google maps up all the time with live traffic and instant re-routing if it suddenly becomes faster to go another way due to traffic or an accident. I just leave it on all the time even if I know where I'm going and I can see live traffic and the top 3 best routes to my destination at any given time. Messages and phone calls come through well, and you can even reply to Whats App messages and group chats very quickly with voice. It's really good at reading the messages to you as well, I've never heard it mess up. It knows when you're on the way to work or coming home and automatically offers to navigate you there. It keeps all your recent destinations stored too (if you've been looking at them on your phone that day or something earlier) for 1-touch navigation. Google assistant also works through the car. Definitely one of those things I wasn't sure how much I'd use, and now I would never buy a car without it.
    Yeah watching videos on YouTube of Android Auto is making me wish I needed a new car hahaha. It's nice to see auto manufacturers finally realizing that Google and Apple are light years ahead of them with that kind of stuff instead of sticking with their own shitty implementations.

Yeah watching videos on YouTube of Android Auto is making me wish I needed a new car hahaha. It's nice to see auto manufacturers finally realizing that Google and Apple are light years ahead of them with that kind of stuff instead of sticking with their own shitty implementations.
    What continues to surprise me is it's standard equipment on econo boxes and a very standard car like my Civic, but some 2017 luxury cars don't even offer Android Auto/Apple Car Play as an option, or if they do, it's part of some $7000 tech package or something haha. It's also not available on some fairly new and very expensive cars from 2015-2017ish. More to your point, it definitely highlights how shitty the average in-car infotainment system is after you've used Android Auto.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

What continues to surprise me is it's standard equipment on econo boxes and a very standard car like my Civic, but some 2017 luxury cars don't even offer Android Auto/Apple Car Play as an option, or if they do, it's part of some $7000 tech package or something haha. It's also not available on some fairly new and very expensive cars from 2015-2017ish. More to your point, it definitely highlights how shitty the average in-car infotainment system is after you've used Android Auto.
    That's been slowly changing as screens become large enough in the standard packages. Android Auto/Carplay has been a free addon, but needed a big enough screen/resolution to work. Those premium packages buried the proper screens there, so you're paying for a screen and not Android Auto/Carplay.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

The way I see it, if it's econoboxes, moving to Android Auto and CarPlay reduces R&D probably on UI. And this sector is quite easy for someone to cross shop across brands. So not having them is a liability.

As you move up, there is more brand defining UIs at play. If a $90K Mercedes has the same UI as $20K Civic, car manufacturer lost a branch where their brand can be different from the rest.

The problem is, nobody in the car business has any credible answer to Android Auto or Carplay. And some like Porsche are still very stubborn on offering CarPlay only.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    That's been slowly changing as screens become large enough in the standard packages. Android Auto/Carplay has been a free addon, but needed a big enough screen/resolution to work. Those premium packages buried the proper screens there, so you're paying for a screen and not Android Auto/Carplay.
    I dunno, I'm not convinced it has to do with the screens. The few cars I've looked at lately that don't have it all had huge screens. Like the 2017 Infiniti Q50/Red Sport, it has not one but two huge high resolution touch screens, and you don't get Android Auto or Apple Car Play in any trim level. Same with a 2017 Acura TL - two screens of suitable resolution and no option for it. A family member picked up a 2017 Golf Sportwagen and AA was a $700 option and I am pretty sure there was no change in the screen type. I'm also pretty sure when I was looking at B250's, the screen was unchanged but Android Auto was an extra option. I can't find anything on the AA developer page that specifies a minimum resolution for it to work either, but it's possible there is one. I guess it's just frustrating to be looking at some $60K+ cars in 2017 that don't even have smartphone integration/infotainment on par with $15-20K econo boxes.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-22-2017 at 11:08 AM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Like the 2017 Infiniti Q50/Red Sport, it has not one but two huge high resolution touch screens, and you don't get Android Auto or Apple Car Play in any trim level.
    According to this list there are no Infiniti / Nissan with AA whatsoever
    https://www.cars.com/articles/which-...1420691731381/

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    According to this list there are no Infiniti / Nissan with AA whatsoever
    https://www.cars.com/articles/which-...1420691731381/
    Yup, I know. That is part of my point. You have cars like those form Infiniti approaching $100K with worse infotainment than a Kia Forte (albeit a much better stereo I'm sure). That is messed up.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I just picked up the Google Pixel 2 and am feeling slightly let down by it. I was debating between it and the S8 for about a month and decided that I wanted the "pure google experience", but in reality, I feel like I paid a ($100) premium for a mid level phone when comparing it to the screen and look and feel of the S8. I am also irritated by the fact that I am sure they could have installed a headphone jack, but just chose not to for some reason, not sure why smaller thinner devices have it (G6/S8). Also, I don't find the camera as amazing as I thought coming from a Edge 6....
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I just picked up the Google Pixel 2 and am feeling slightly let down by it. I was debating between it and the S8 for about a month and decided that I wanted the "pure google experience", but in reality, I feel like I paid a ($100) premium for a mid level phone when comparing it to the screen and look and feel of the S8. I am also irritated by the fact that I am sure they could have installed a headphone jack, but just chose not to for some reason, not sure why smaller thinner devices have it (G6/S8). Also, I don't find the camera as amazing as I thought coming from a Edge 6....
    The Pixel XL 2 is what you would compare to the S8, the Pixel 2 isn't meant to compete with it. You're comparing a 5" 1080P display to a 5.8" 1440P display so the S8 will always look better. The S8 was also a more expensive phone.

The camera is much, much, better than my old Galaxy S6 and also my iPhone 8, but I guess some of that is still subjective. Where you will notice it the most is in challenging situations, particularly with how it deals with noise in low light and high contrast situations - that is where it really stands out thanks to Google's processing. Video stabilization also is unrivaled, and portrait mode seems to deal with hair the best and have the most natural look if you're into that sort of thing. If you're just taking pictures of nice evenly-lit things in the daylight, there isn't a lot to differentiate any camera made in the last few years. Android 8.1 will be out by the end of the year as well which will enable Google's custom image processing core. You also get free unlimited original quality photo and video storage on the Pixels which adds more value.

Most companies claim the lack of the headphone jack allows things like the dual stereo speakers, bigger batteries, and better waterproofing. How much truth there is to all those things I don't know. The first time I took my XL2 to the gym I forgot the dongle haha, so I am not a huge fan of that either, but it seems to be the new normal.

If you're comparing it to an S8, maybe exchange it for the Pixel 2 XL? It is a much closer competitor from a build, size, screen, bezels, and hardware perspective.

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

I got the S8+ after using an iPhone since the 4 and have been thoroughly impressed. I was debating the Pixel XL2 with the boasting about the camera and it's ability to do "the same thing" as dual cameras. Is the portrait mode not great?
    I know on the S8's, there is selective focus but it's very artificial and doesn't work well on people. On an object with defined edges, it works great.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

The Pixel XL 2 is what you would compare to the S8, the Pixel 2 isn't meant to compete with it. You're comparing a 5" 1080P display to a 5.8" 1440P display so the S8 will always look better. The S8 was also a more expensive phone.

The camera is much, much, better than my old Galaxy S6 and also my iPhone 8, but I guess some of that is still subjective. Where you will notice it the most is in challenging situations, particularly with how it deals with noise in low light and high contrast situations - that is where it really stands out thanks to Google's processing. Video stabilization also is unrivaled, and portrait mode seems to deal with hair the best and have the most natural look if you're into that sort of thing. If you're just taking pictures of nice evenly-lit things in the daylight, there isn't a lot to differentiate any camera made in the last few years. Android 8.1 will be out by the end of the year as well which will enable Google's custom image processing core. You also get free unlimited original quality photo and video storage on the Pixels which adds more value.

Most companies claim the lack of the headphone jack allows things like the dual stereo speakers, bigger batteries, and better waterproofing. How much truth there is to all those things I don't know. The first time I took my XL2 to the gym I forgot the dongle haha, so I am not a huge fan of that either, but it seems to be the new normal.

If you're comparing it to an S8, maybe exchange it for the Pixel 2 XL? It is a much closer competitor from a build, size, screen, bezels, and hardware perspective.
    Thanks very much for the feedback and the detailed message and helping me feel better about the purchase lol.

So, regarding the S8, the cost was actually $100 less at Koodoo when I had the option to buy it. Also, size wise, they are virtually identical but the screen is way bigger on the S8.

Also, to be fair, I don't think I really gave the camera a fair shot yet and that was the primary reason I purchased it.

Quote Originally Posted by riced View Post
    I got the S8+ after using an iPhone since the 4 and have been thoroughly impressed. I was debating the Pixel XL2 with the boasting about the camera and it's ability to do "the same thing" as dual cameras. Is the portrait mode not great?
    I know on the S8's, there is selective focus but it's very artificial and doesn't work well on people. On an object with defined edges, it works great.
    The reason the Pixel XL/XL2 can do even better than dual cameras for portrait mode is because each individual photosite on the camera sensor is split in half, and those minute distance differences that each side sees gives it depth perception without needing the second camera. After that, it's just software, which Google does better than anyone else at least at the moment. The Pixel's seem to deal with hair and challenging edges the best, and uses AI to constantly improve over time. Anyone can make a shitty focus mask and blur the background, but the Pixels are good at making it look at least half decent (none of them look like an actual large sensor DSLR photo but they are getting better at faking it.)

The same software is also what gives them such good low light performance. Noise in camera images always occurs randomly, so when you take a photo, it actually stacks up to 9 photos on top of each other which does an excellent job of reducing noise while having no negative impact on the image.

Thanks very much for the feedback and the detailed message and helping me feel better about the purchase lol.

So, regarding the S8, the cost was actually $100 less at Koodoo when I had the option to buy it. Also, size wise, they are virtually identical but the screen is way bigger on the S8.

Also, to be fair, I don't think I really gave the camera a fair shot yet and that was the primary reason I purchased it.
    Yeah the S8 might be slightly cheaper now, I guess I was thinking more new vs new, but Samsung always seems to be ahead of the curve with their April releases (only a few months away from the S9!) You do also get the free unlimited original quality photo storage, instant OS updates, 24/7 support, google's hassle free exchange warranty (extended to 2 years), etc. which all help to add some value compared to the Samsung products currently. Google's assistant is also 1000 times better than Bixby haha.

The Pixel 2 does have some huge bezels, and the design is largely unchanged from last year - it seems to be aimed squarely at the iPhone 8. The S8 (5.8"), XL2 (6.0"), etc. put a huge screen into a similar sized package. The S8 has the smallest bezels of them all though.

If you want to give the camera workout, take some photos in low or challenging light and also really high contrast situations. The video stabilization is also super impressive - if your hand is reasonably steady, you literally cannot tell it's not on a tripod. I have a 1 minute long video where it doesn't even shift by a single line of pixels as far as I can tell on my PC monitor. Or take a video while walking and turn the stabilization on and off - you'll see how big of a difference it makes. Last year the Pixels just had the electronic stabilization, and this year they also gain optical stabilization.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-28-2017 at 10:33 AM.

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

The reason the Pixel XL/XL2 can do even better than dual cameras for portrait mode is because each individual photosite on the camera sensor is split in half, and those minute distance differences that each side sees gives it depth perception without needing the second camera. After that, it's just software, which Google does better than anyone else at least at the moment. The Pixel's seem to deal with hair and challenging edges the best, and uses AI to constantly improve over time. Anyone can make a shitty focus mask and blur the background, but the Pixels are good at making it look at least half decent (none of them look like an actual large sensor DSLR photo but they are getting better at faking it.)

The same software is also what gives them such good low light performance. Noise in camera images always occurs randomly, so when you take a photo, it actually stacks up to 9 photos on top of each other which does an excellent job of reducing noise while having no negative impact on the image.
    Good to know! Makes me want one even more... But tough to give up the infinity edge screen...

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Thank you Mitsu for your input, really interesting to know more about it.

Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast