Quantcast
Android Thread - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16

Thread: Android Thread

My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    Received my Kinda Blue Pixel 2 today. Wasn't even supposed to ship until today but they shipped it on Thursday.

How are you liking yours? I've only had mine for about 6 hours now but I love it. It's screaming fast, I'm already using the squeeze feature for Google Assistant, the audio quality is great via the dongle, and the phone feels so good in the hands. Perfect size and ergonomics for me. Best Android phone I've used hands down.

I can't wait to give the camera a workout!
    I absolutely love it. This phone is amazing. The camera is more of an improvement over last year's than I had expected. Zero lag anywhere, it doesn't even slow down when updating dozens of apps. I did set my active edge to the highest setting because when I go to hit the power button, sometimes I was activating it. The stereo speakers are loud, buttons feel great. Battery life is hilarious - the phone gets a 20 minute 1A slow charge twice day in my car on the way to/from work and I haven't had to charge it by any other means in a week. It consistently only loses 1% over a 8 hour night as well and I haven't' disabled anything or turned any features off.

I was at a concert last night and took photos with the iPhone 8 and my Pixel XL2 side by side, it's really quite remarkable how much better the Pixel camera is. I'm looking forward to using it more as well.

Wasn't sure I'd like the skinnier form factor but it's been great, especially with 1-handed use, and most things require constant scrolling these days, so the longer screen works well. The blue tint is 100% a non issue and the Galaxys and iPhone X (Samsung Screen) do exactly the same thing when you tilt them angles you would never use them at.

I've noticed Android Auto is more responsive, it's pretty well instant through the dash on my Civic now. Calculating routes, loading different screens, etc. is virtually instant.

I have a replacement one coming though, I am extremely picky about my screens, and I have a slightly uneven screen when displaying white. It bothers me because I consume most of my content on a white background. Almost all OLEDs have this issue to varying degrees, I'm just really sensitive to it (some other people can't see it), so I'll just keep the better of two phones.

My Ride
    C63S

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

My Ride
    an econo box

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I absolutely love it. This phone is amazing. The camera is more of an improvement over last year's than I had expected. Zero lag anywhere, it doesn't even slow down when updating dozens of apps. I did set my active edge to the highest setting because when I go to hit the power button, sometimes I was activating it. The stereo speakers are loud, buttons feel great. Battery life is hilarious - the phone gets a 20 minute 1A slow charge twice day in my car on the way to/from work and I haven't had to charge it by any other means in a week. It consistently only loses 1% over a 8 hour night as well and I haven't' disabled anything or turned any features off.

I was at a concert last night and took photos with the iPhone 8 and my Pixel XL2 side by side, it's really quite remarkable how much better the Pixel camera is. I'm looking forward to using it more as well.

Wasn't sure I'd like the skinnier form factor but it's been great, especially with 1-handed use, and most things require constant scrolling these days, so the longer screen works well. The blue tint is 100% a non issue and the Galaxys and iPhone X (Samsung Screen) do exactly the same thing when you tilt them angles you would never use them at.

I've noticed Android Auto is more responsive, it's pretty well instant through the dash on my Civic now. Calculating routes, loading different screens, etc. is virtually instant.

I have a replacement one coming though, I am extremely picky about my screens, and I have a slightly uneven screen when displaying white. It bothers me because I consume most of my content on a white background. Almost all OLEDs have this issue to varying degrees, I'm just really sensitive to it (some other people can't see it), so I'll just keep the better of two phones.
    Ah that sucks about the screen. Hopefully the new unit will be better.

I still can't get over how fast Google Assistant is on the Pixel 2. Even compared to other flagship spec Android phones. You can really see the optimization put into the Pixels by google.

Only issue (if you can call it that) I've had was when pairing my Pixel 2 to my car. It wasn't an issue with the phone but rather my car. When creating a name for the device to store in the car's memory it wouldn't let me use "Pixel 2" because it sounded to much like "cancel". Instead of changing the name I just said it in a fake foreign accent haha. I'd love to have Android Auto but I'm nowhere near the point at which I need a new car. I might try an aftermarket Android head unit though.

My Ride
    2016 MB C450

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    #DontBeEvil amirit
    That was dropped over 2 years ago. They have turned evil.

My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST

Ah that sucks about the screen. Hopefully the new unit will be better.

I still can't get over how fast Google Assistant is on the Pixel 2. Even compared to other flagship spec Android phones. You can really see the optimization put into the Pixels by google.

Only issue (if you can call it that) I've had was when pairing my Pixel 2 to my car. It wasn't an issue with the phone but rather my car. When creating a name for the device to store in the car's memory it wouldn't let me use "Pixel 2" because it sounded to much like "cancel". Instead of changing the name I just said it in a fake foreign accent haha. I'd love to have Android Auto but I'm nowhere near the point at which I need a new car. I might try an aftermarket Android head unit though.
    The screen is really not that bad at all, most people can't even see it, but I am extremely picky and I stare at a calibrated monitor all day so I pick up on things like that more easily.

The assistant is lightning fast, it's actually quite helpful. I use it for voice to text while driving a lot, and for reminders/alarms. Google Lens is kind of neat too - it's in it's infancy now but you can see that it will be a huge feature soon with future updates.

HDR photos process almost instantly now instead of over 2-3 seconds, so there is a big improvement there too. It will apparently get even faster when they enable the Pixel Core with 8.1.

Android auto is awesome. I use it 100% of the time while I'm in the car. It's perfectly integrated for Google Music and Podcasts (Pocketcast app). The best part though is just having google maps up all the time with live traffic and instant re-routing if it suddenly becomes faster to go another way due to traffic or an accident. I just leave it on all the time even if I know where I'm going and I can see live traffic and the top 3 best routes to my destination at any given time. Messages and phone calls come through well, and you can even reply to Whats App messages and group chats very quickly with voice. It's really good at reading the messages to you as well, I've never heard it mess up. It knows when you're on the way to work or coming home and automatically offers to navigate you there. It keeps all your recent destinations stored too (if you've been looking at them on your phone that day or something earlier) for 1-touch navigation. Google assistant also works through the car. Definitely one of those things I wasn't sure how much I'd use, and now I would never buy a car without it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; Yesterday at 02:28 PM.

My Ride
    an econo box

The screen is really not that bad at all, most people can't even see it, but I am extremely picky and I stare at a calibrated monitor all day so I pick up on things like that more easily.

The assistant is lightning fast, it's actually quite helpful. I use it for voice to text while driving a lot, and for reminders/alarms. Google Lens is kind of neat too - it's in it's infancy now but you can see that it will be a huge feature soon with future updates.

HDR photos process almost instantly now instead of over 2-3 seconds, so there is a big improvement there too. It will apparently get even faster when they enable the Pixel Core with 8.1.

Android auto is awesome. I use it 100% of the time while I'm in the car. It's perfectly integrated for Google Music and Podcasts (Pocketcast app). The best part though is just having google maps up all the time with live traffic and instant re-routing if it suddenly becomes faster to go another way due to traffic or an accident. I just leave it on all the time even if I know where I'm going and I can see live traffic and the top 3 best routes to my destination at any given time. Messages and phone calls come through well, and you can even reply to Whats App messages and group chats very quickly with voice. It's really good at reading the messages to you as well, I've never heard it mess up. It knows when you're on the way to work or coming home and automatically offers to navigate you there. It keeps all your recent destinations stored too (if you've been looking at them on your phone that day or something earlier) for 1-touch navigation. Google assistant also works through the car. Definitely one of those things I wasn't sure how much I'd use, and now I would never buy a car without it.
    Yeah watching videos on YouTube of Android Auto is making me wish I needed a new car hahaha. It's nice to see auto manufacturers finally realizing that Google and Apple are light years ahead of them with that kind of stuff instead of sticking with their own shitty implementations.

My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST

Yeah watching videos on YouTube of Android Auto is making me wish I needed a new car hahaha. It's nice to see auto manufacturers finally realizing that Google and Apple are light years ahead of them with that kind of stuff instead of sticking with their own shitty implementations.
    What continues to surprise me is it's standard equipment on econo boxes and a very standard car like my Civic, but some 2017 luxury cars don't even offer Android Auto/Apple Car Play as an option, or if they do, it's part of some $7000 tech package or something haha. It's also not available on some fairly new and very expensive cars from 2015-2017ish. More to your point, it definitely highlights how shitty the average in-car infotainment system is after you've used Android Auto.

My Ride
    Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange

What continues to surprise me is it's standard equipment on econo boxes and a very standard car like my Civic, but some 2017 luxury cars don't even offer Android Auto/Apple Car Play as an option, or if they do, it's part of some $7000 tech package or something haha. It's also not available on some fairly new and very expensive cars from 2015-2017ish. More to your point, it definitely highlights how shitty the average in-car infotainment system is after you've used Android Auto.
    That's been slowly changing as screens become large enough in the standard packages. Android Auto/Carplay has been a free addon, but needed a big enough screen/resolution to work. Those premium packages buried the proper screens there, so you're paying for a screen and not Android Auto/Carplay.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2016 MB C450

The way I see it, if it's econoboxes, moving to Android Auto and CarPlay reduces R&D probably on UI. And this sector is quite easy for someone to cross shop across brands. So not having them is a liability.

As you move up, there is more brand defining UIs at play. If a $90K Mercedes has the same UI as $20K Civic, car manufacturer lost a branch where their brand can be different from the rest.

The problem is, nobody in the car business has any credible answer to Android Auto or Carplay. And some like Porsche are still very stubborn on offering CarPlay only.

My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    That's been slowly changing as screens become large enough in the standard packages. Android Auto/Carplay has been a free addon, but needed a big enough screen/resolution to work. Those premium packages buried the proper screens there, so you're paying for a screen and not Android Auto/Carplay.
    I dunno, I'm not convinced it has to do with the screens. The few cars I've looked at lately that don't have it all had huge screens. Like the 2017 Infiniti Q50/Red Sport, it has not one but two huge high resolution touch screens, and you don't get Android Auto or Apple Car Play in any trim level. Same with a 2017 Acura TL - two screens of suitable resolution and no option for it. A family member picked up a 2017 Golf Sportwagen and AA was a $700 option and I am pretty sure there was no change in the screen type. I'm also pretty sure when I was looking at B250's, the screen was unchanged but Android Auto was an extra option. I can't find anything on the AA developer page that specifies a minimum resolution for it to work either, but it's possible there is one. I guess it's just frustrating to be looking at some $60K+ cars in 2017 that don't even have smartphone integration/infotainment on par with $15-20K econo boxes.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; Today at 10:08 AM.

My Ride
    is easy to spot

Like the 2017 Infiniti Q50/Red Sport, it has not one but two huge high resolution touch screens, and you don't get Android Auto or Apple Car Play in any trim level.
    According to this list there are no Infiniti / Nissan with AA whatsoever
    https://www.cars.com/articles/which-...1420691731381/

My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    According to this list there are no Infiniti / Nissan with AA whatsoever
    https://www.cars.com/articles/which-...1420691731381/
    Yup, I know. That is part of my point. You have cars like those form Infiniti approaching $100K with worse infotainment than a Kia Forte (albeit a much better stereo I'm sure). That is messed up.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16