Quantcast
Android Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 48 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Thread

Default Android Thread

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 02:31 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Nothing revolutionary is out with nougat. Especially qualcomm has officially ditched the driver development for Nougat for the 80* chipset and left that in the hand of open source community.

The only thing that will be interesting is if Google continuing with Nexus line or really calling it Pixel since the mission of Nexus is no longer needed due to cheap Chinese device makers like OnePlus/ZTE/Xiaomi.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    The only thing that will be interesting is if Google continuing with Nexus line or really calling it Pixel since the mission of Nexus is no longer needed due to cheap Chinese device makers like OnePlus/ZTE/Xiaomi.
    Really this is all but officially announced at this point. Android Police have had some pretty solid inside sources in the past.

It does make me sad however. I have been an avid nexus lover since the G1. I doubt the Pixel lineup is going to have the same spirit.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 02:30 PM.

I have Android N 7.0 on my Nexus 6P and love it. Simple changes but multitasking, quick switching, quick reply, all perfect. The 128gb 6P wasn't cheap, but cheap compared to its Apple counterpart, so I wonder if Pixel phones will be more money?

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Seems that no new phones will come with 7.0 as the Pixel/PixelXL are expected to ship with 7.1.

Hoping some current Nexus/Pixel C users will weigh in with their Nougat UX. Apparently the Pixel C is built in-house so an all-google phone can't be far behind.
    The LG V20 comes with Android 7.0.

I have 7.0 on my Nexus 9, I like it. Very fast as always, split screen works really well. Quick app switching is great (you can do 3 things at once in 3 different apps split screen mode), notifications have been further improved, doze is smarter, it supports Vulkan, and they rebuilt the entire section of android to make it invulnerable to anything like stagefight in the future.

Gmail, Messenger, and WhatsApp already had quick reply for ages, so I didn't notice much difference there.

Another cool thing it does is warns you if the caller is suspected spam/telemarketing and allows you to quickly block them.

It also has even more customization, you can pretty well control everything.

OTA's on the 6P's started rolling out too, so a lot more people should have it soon.

Originally posted by JustinMCS
    I have Android N 7.0 on my Nexus 6P and love it. Simple changes but multitasking, quick switching, quick reply, all perfect. The 128gb 6P wasn't cheap, but cheap compared to its Apple counterpart, so I wonder if Pixel phones will be more money?
    Based on the rumored US pricing, they should be about the same as the 6P ($650-750 CAD) Should undercut the competition by several hundred (hopefully). If the rumored specs are true they could easily get iPhone prices though, so I really hope they don't go down that pricing path with Pixel.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-08-2016 at 02:27 PM.

oops quoted myself haha

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Oh man this thing is sweet.

Have you had the built-in spam call blocker go off yet? Seems like a great feature to have.
    Not yet because I only have 7.0 on my Nexus 9. Should have it on my 6P soon and I'm sure it will get tested then haha.

After the call you can easily block them, report it as spam, or mark it as a legitimate caller.

My Ride
    Grimace

I thought LG is plagued with QC problems though so I would be very hesitant about the V20.
    Looking forward to seeing the pixels though as I will be looking for a new phone in the new year. Should be lots of lower priced options, Axon 7, OP3, Pixel 5".

My Ride
    Bicycle

Have you had the built-in spam call blocker go off yet? Seems like a great feature to have.
    You can have the same thing if you replace your dialer with TruCaller which Cyanogen is now packaged with.

Originally posted by schocker
    I thought LG is plagued with QC problems though so I would be very hesitant about the V20.
    Looking forward to seeing the pixels though as I will be looking for a new phone in the new year. Should be lots of lower priced options, Axon 7, OP3, Pixel 5".
    Somehow I doubt Pixel is going to be low cost. They can continue with Nexus line if they want to do that.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-08-2016 at 03:15 PM.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    After the call you can easily block them, report it as spam, or mark it as a legitimate caller.
    I have just been going into the 'people & options' menu after and blocking the # after a call.

No update on my 5X yet.

Should be a very boring event unless every rumor has been completely wrong for months on end haha. No surprises anymore these days:

Phones - Pixel 5" & 5.5" versions. Only real differences will be the body, battery, screen, and price. Flagship specs throughout (SD 820/821, 4GB ram, etc.) HTC will make both but you may not see any HTC branding. Should be another pair of great phones with flagship specs and upper-mid range pricing.

Nexus 7 successor - Huawei made, probably similar specs to the phones.

4K Chromecast

Google Home - additional coverage

Originally posted by n1zm0

I have just been going into the 'people & options' menu after and blocking the # after a call.

No update on my 5X yet.
    The call blocking isn't too groundbreaking, and apps can do it too. I believe what's important is it is baked into android, and it remembers your spam list across devices and after resets.

Originally posted by n1zm0
    No update on my 5X yet.
    You can very easily force this update if you want. I have been running it on my 6P and my wifes 5X as well as my Nexus 9 since the day it was released. I have been very happy with 7.0.

You can side load the update if you want, takes 5 mins tops. Or you can enroll in the android beta program, then leave the program after you get 7.0. OTA's for 5X/6P started rolling out in the last day or two so it shouldn't be too long now regardless.

My Ride
    Sentra

Google needs to start making their own SoCs I think. Apple is killing Qualcomm in that department now. Has there even been a date set for the Pixel announcement? I was hoping by the end of the month. My N5 needs upgrading.

Originally posted by GoChris
    Google needs to start making their own SoCs I think. Apple is killing Qualcomm in that department now. Has there even been a date set for the Pixel announcement? I was hoping by the end of the month. My N5 needs upgrading.
    Apple doesn't make their own SoC, Samsung and TSMC make it. It also resulted in them having two different A9's that performed significantly different with regards to battery life. Apple and Qualcomm take different approaches and it's difficult to compare them directly. The hardware and OS' they run on are also very different. The other thing that makes comparisons difficult is vastly different release schedules. Quacomm's flagship cpu generally gets put to work in the Galaxy Sx at the beginning of the year, where Apple's cpu's debut in September, so you're never comparing technology of the same 'vintage' in a world where entire overhauls happen every year. Samsung has some pretty beastly Exynos processors of their own as well. There tends to be a leap frogging effect.

The processing power in phones these days is so far above what the average user requires, that the general responsiveness (virtually instant) has barely changed over the last few years. Where it may start to make more of a difference is with 4K screens and VR.

Oct 4 is most likely the day for the Pixel announcements.

My Ride
    Sentra

Apple designs their own chips, I know they don't manufacture them, but they sure design/make them. They aren't just a ~half year ahead, they are much further ahead.

And yes, we can compare them by running the same benchmarks and tests against them, it is done ALL the time.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    It also resulted in them having two different A9's that performed significantly different with regards to battery life.
    This was completely overblown. Pretty much only happens in 1 specific benchmark test that's not representative of real world.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/10...two-apple-a9s/
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 48 1 2 11 ... LastLast