Review: Sweet Tooth - Rolled Ice Cream - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Review: Sweet Tooth - Rolled Ice Cream

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by speedog
    Do hipsters go to chinatown?
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...oved-1.3400704

Wonder if that's the BRZ's plan, hipster like old shit, they got old shit. Bring hipster in.

Was in Victoria a few years back and I'm pretty sure even back then the hipster has taken over the Chinatown there with fancy coffee joints.

EDIT: it got worse, 7 coffee joints in 2 blocks of Chinatown Victoria.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-12-2016 at 04:52 PM.

My Ride
    Beetle

Stopped in to check out the place over the weekend and enjoyed it. Tried the Kryptonite (Pandan), and Purple Haze (Taro) flavours, both of which were really good. Regular price after the weekend discount is $7 which is on par with the sundae at Village. It doesn't seem like a lot, but there is a lot of ice cream in the bowl; I'd say the Village sundae and this are similarly sized. Keep in mind most come with whipped cream and a sprinkle of something depending on the choice (i.e. toasted coconut), as well as additional adds like condensed milk or strawberry/chocolate sauce prior to rolling depending on what you choose.

I'm a big Village fan, but this is a good alternative, especially for more asian inspired flavours. Notably, the Purple Haze looked like it was a Vanilla base, but they added fresh taro onto the cooling pan prior to pouring the ice cream base, which really added to the flavour profile of the taro and much more enjoyable than the fake, already prepared stuff out there.

Personally, I wouldn't add any toppings myself aside from what it comes with (usually whipped cream and a sprinkle of toasted coconut, or something similar depending on the one you choose), as it can get pricey fast; IIRC $0.50 to $1.00 per additional topping.

If they offered these flavours as pints, I'd definitely pick one up, regardless of the novelty of it being 'rolled'. The big downside is the wait; instead of a simple scoop, it takes between 3-5 minutes of prep as the ice cream base needs to chill/freeze after a bunch of mixing and mashing before being spread into a thin layer. I hope they continue to add different flavours, would be nice to have a black sesame option!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2