Quantcast
Nexus card processing time. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 23 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Nexus card processing time.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Default Nexus card processing time.

I have a vacation planned 6 weeks from now. Possible to get a Nexus card in that time? Would like to save myself from pain-in-the-ass American security and their lineups.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

No. Pretty much impossible. The background checks take about that time alone, and theres no way around it. I have an aircrew pass as well which has the same backgrounding done that I need to renew 6 months beforehand, just to get the backgrounding done on time and thats an employment requirement, not a request. After that you wait for an appointment for the "interview", which in calgary is usually 4-6 months out as well. You can risk trying to head to the airport and request being processed as a "walk in" at the office there, but you do risk being turned away as well.

Otherwise, if they're doing a "blitz" like they've done in the past couple years, you get processed, interviewed, etc at once and you wait for the background but its significantly faster
    Last edited by TurboMedic; 09-12-2016 at 06:54 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Corvette

No, won't happen. Took me 2 months just to get pre-approved for the interview.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by BigShow
    No, won't happen. Took me 2 months just to get pre-approved for the interview.
    I second this...

Application to conditional approval for me was 1 month and 4 weeks.

After conditional approval: the interviews for booking are usually 8 months out. However if you check the online booking system you can snag cancelled appointments.

In my case, I snagged a cancelled appointment 1-2 times per day for ~8 days, each day getting closer than the 8 months (ie. 7 months, 5 months, 4 months, 3 months, 2 months, etc, etc...).

Ultimately I had my interview 8 days after my conditional approval.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    This and that.

I was thinking of applying for this. Is it something they only give you if you frequently travel or occasional travel suffices? I'd just like to get it to avoid the lines every now and then when I travel.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

This was from a couple years ago. I'd guess wait times are no better and probably worse now.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/383196/ne...iew-wait-time/

Originally posted by shakalaka
    I was thinking of applying for this. Is it something they only give you if you frequently travel or occasional travel suffices? I'd just like to get it to avoid the lines every now and then when I travel.
    No, as long as you're a pretty low risk traveler there's no reason why they'd deny you.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Jesus.

Well I may as well file now and forget about it, maybe it'll get approved just in time for some other trip.

What's the deal with the wait time though? Is there really that much volume of applicants? Or do they just like to make you suffer?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

It's pretty simple. The older you are, the longer it takes.

Get it while you are young. Even renewals take weeks.

Then weeks for the interview.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

That makes a world of sense actually. More years of shit to dig up in a background check,

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Two questions about Nexus:

1) Is it better to apply before or after a passport renewal?

2) How would nexus handle having a different name on your passport ( which hasn't expired yet) due to marriage?

I would like to get the ball rolling on a nexus card but both mine and my wife's passports expire next year and I am not sure how that affects the process.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by Zhariak

I second this...

Application to conditional approval for me was 1 month and 4 weeks.

After conditional approval: the interviews for booking are usually 8 months out. However if you check the online booking system you can snag cancelled appointments.

In my case, I snagged a cancelled appointment 1-2 times per day for ~8 days, each day getting closer than the 8 months (ie. 7 months, 5 months, 4 months, 3 months, 2 months, etc, etc...).

Ultimately I had my interview 8 days after my conditional approval.
    I had my card in hand in about 6 or 7 weeks?? (Can't remember exact time frame). This was spring of last year.

Conditional approval took about a month. Earliest interview for Calgary was 4 months out, so I expanded my search for Edmonton and Coutts.

Coutts had an opening the week after, but I kept checking, and managed to snag an appointment in Edmonton 4 days later. Interview took all of 5 minutes, and card was received a week later.

Processing times are dependent on each individual, and amount of applications currently ahead of you. I would think you are SOL in getting it in 6 weeks, but never hurts to try.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by killramos
    Two questions about Nexus:

1) Is it better to apply before or after a passport renewal?

2) How would nexus handle having a different name on your passport ( which hasn't expired yet) due to marriage?

I would like to get the ball rolling on a nexus card but both mine and my wife's passports expire next year and I am not sure how that affects the process.
    1) makes no difference.
    2) probably makes a difference. Why is she travelling with the wrong name?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Because the passport expires next year and she has to go through the full application process again to change her name on the passport ( as opposed to renewal), wants to get the most use out of this one before paying the fee again. Being lazy is also a contributing factor that cannot be ignored.

It took her a year to change her drivers license and AB healthcare card as a reference.

Not saying its a good reason, just is what it is.

Best i can tell you can travel with conflicting documents all you want so long as you keep a copy of your marriage cert with you. I just figure nexus would be more of sticklers.

I'll give them a call to see how they would handle it before starting an application.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

For reference, this was posted on RFD today

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Because the passport expires next year and she has to go through the full application process again to change her name on the passport ( as opposed to renewal), wants to get the most use out of this one before paying the fee again. Being lazy is also a contributing factor that cannot be ignored.

It took her a year to change her drivers license and AB healthcare card as a reference.

Not saying its a good reason, just is what it is.

Best i can tell you can travel with conflicting documents all you want so long as you keep a copy of your marriage cert with you. I just figure nexus would be more of sticklers.

I'll give them a call to see how they would handle it before starting an application.
    Pretty sure there are fines for not updating your name on your documents if you get caught.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The whole process is pretty nebulous so i can't see how they could fine you. At this point shit is half and half for her between all the different procedures and wait times for different documents.

Drivers license there is a fine for example, but its also much simpler to update than your passport.

Both are legal names at this point, its just a lot easier to have them all in one.

Big one for the passport was getting a new birth cert for citizenship confirmation which took a while. That had to be before the passport.

Personally i agree with you and I would have taken care of all this shit a year ago. It was a pain in the ass booking our last trip as I had to use different names for different shit. There is a reason i put literally everything in my name.
    Last edited by killramos; 09-13-2016 at 09:53 AM.

fact.

They can take your card and kick you out of the program for 1 year if you don't update your personal information. You'd then have to reapply.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/term-eng.html

It doesn't handle different names. Your wife can apply for Nexus now, but she will have to enter in the information from her existing passport. Once she renews it next year with the new last name, she will have to go and update it in person.

Edit: There may be something in the agreement during the application that she confirms the information is valid and accurate. If she applies with a passport that has incorrect info, she may run into trouble in the future. In other words, apply after with the updated passport.
    ---

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My passport doesn't have my middle/Chinese name. Nor does my SIN/CRA/tax info. My drivers license and my birth certificate does. They said it doesn't really matter, but technically my legal name includes my middle name because of my birth certificate, and hence my Nexus has my middle name even though my passport doesn't. They said it's not a huge deal but if I add my middle name to my passport I have to update it through the portal.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I got my nexus card in 2-3 weeks, but maybe it was quicker because I have a couple different work visas? I'm only guessing, but the process was quick, maybe it was just good timing.
    My passport is for 5 years (got it just before the 10 year came out) and the nexus card is set to expire the same time as my passport.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 11 ... LastLast