Quantcast
Working at camp? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Working at camp?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by nickyh

he was at a CNRL camp, I can't remember which one, but he thought the food was pretty good.

the best part he liked was flying up on the charter planes, full breakfast or dinner on the way there / back. not the pretzel crap you get on air canada or westjet.
    All CNRL camps besides the new Richardson one are garbage. Richardson is A+.

The breakfast/dinners are pretty mediocre. I guess it depends on the scale you use. I use the "how does it compare to what I make at home" scale. Some people compare to restaurants for scale. Other people use the "if its edible its 10/10 scale".

Also, OP, video didn't work for me

Yea, camp for 5 days a week and back on weekends isn't bad. Camp for 4 weeks straight on 14-16 hour days? I was literally ready to kill people.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

All CNRL camps besides the new Richardson one are garbage. Richardson is A+.

The breakfast/dinners are pretty mediocre. I guess it depends on the scale you use. I use the "how does it compare to what I make at home" scale. Some people compare to restaurants for scale. Other people use the "if its edible its 10/10 scale".

Also, OP, video didn't work for me

Yea, camp for 5 days a week and back on weekends isn't bad. Camp for 4 weeks straight on 14-16 hour days? I was literally ready to kill people.
    video on this page
    http://forthills.suncor.com/en/staying_here.aspx

I like the camp life, been doing it 7/7 for 2 years now. You'll survive 6 weeks no problem. My camp has shaw internet that is unrestricted for your use, I brought my own router and plugged it in in the room for more privacy and having a wired connection on multiple things. Obviously the work computers are on a separate network routed through the head office network.

As mentioned, bring gym clothes it is a good thing to spend an hour in the gym after the day of work.

I don't get to go for lunch, have to pack a bagged lunch. The breakfast is all the regular stuff, omlettes/pancakes/eggs/sausage/bacon. Supper ranges from steak night to chinese and indian food. None of the supper food would be the best food ever but there's always something worth eating generally, we also have a fast food lane with your regular fries/burgers/chicken nuggets type things as well. Packed lunches involve yesterdays foods in packaged containers, sandwiches, cookies/baked goods, and fruits/vegetables.

Sounds like you'll know people that are already up there, that'll at least help keep the evenings busy. Are you working 8 or 12 hour days, 8 hour days up there would lead to some boring evenings I think.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Im unsure what my hours would be up there. If there's no OT specced in our project we could be just doing 8 hours a day but im hoping there is because I do get pretty bored at night although I will probably try and spend some time at the gym. And im hoping there is because I'd like to get paid a bit more for being there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    4x4

Pretty sure the standard is 10s there...

I know us trying to squeeze in 12s caused issues (mostly with safety / permits and early for breakfast late for dinner) - wasn't possible if you didn't have company truck for transport.

It wasn't hard to kill off the evening, between lounge theatre, a few groups / clubs, the gym (even if you don't participate - you want to watch the yoga class ) pretty sure I saw ESL and GED offered as courses.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Camp is not bad at all.

7/7 shift is gravy.

Great food (healthy options)
    Private gym
    Lounge area with satellite
    Pool, ping pong, other amenities.
    Cable in the rooms, queens beds, gyprock walls much quieter.

Number one advice, workout with a goal in mind. Try to get stronger and not just go through the motions.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Boring. And a motorcycle.

Camp's pretty good, but it obviously depends on which camp. Ive been up at Albian (Shell) for a few years and I love it. Much better than office work and 7/7 shift is amazing. Days go by quick and we've got a bar... so thats always nice.

I get pretty tired working 4:45am-6:30pm but having a week off more than makes up for it. Having a cross-shift is amazing.. leave work and dont have to worry about it anymore.

Bring up your own router (I use this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Bring gym clothes (although I use them less than Id thought i would... never want to go after the long/early days).

I have a locker up there, so I leave my own pillow (theirs sucks), toiletries, etc up there.

Beware of using the laundry. People have had their clothes wrecked.

Beware of how easy it is to eat unhealthy.
    The Ex: 2002 Subaru 2.5RSTi w/ JDM V7 STI Swap, JDM 6-Speed Trans, Dom 1.5XTR, ST Coilovers
    The Ride: 2014 Ducati Multistrada S, Tuneboy w/ CC
    Daily: Boring Volvo.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I've always done best in camps from a personal stand-point. I was much more focused on and off the job as there was little in the way of distractions and tons of personal growth opportunity after hours. Gym, reading, outdoors, online courses, etc.

Some camps felt like space stations (sterile, aluminum everywhere) but others were like an oasis in the middle of mud and bugs.

If you're self-initiating, you'll do well. Those who need to be told what to do, seem to just plop on a lazy boy and watch TV all evening.

My Ride

Originally posted by revelations
    I've always done best in camps from a personal stand-point. I was much more focused on and off the job as there was little in the way of distractions and tons of personal growth opportunity after hours. Gym, reading, outdoors, online courses, etc.

Some camps felt like space stations (sterile, aluminum everywhere) but others were like an oasis in the middle of mud and bugs.

If you're self-initiating, you'll do well. Those who need to be told what to do, seem to just plop on a lazy boy and watch TV all evening.
    Spot on.

Make some goals, attack them with gumption. Profit.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Thanks for the advice

My Ride
    changes every year

you're lucky you're going up there. I've been to quite a few camps and am still at a camp mentioned in the thread, I'll just say that it is how you make it, no matter how bad or good it is up there.

on my plane, you just get snacks and drinks and that's probably all you will get too, they've cut down on all of that and no option to buy anything either.

if you have any questions, you can PM me.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Thankfully he was short lived at camp before we had the little one, so the whole pick up / drop off issue didn't come into play.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by nzwasp

video on this page
    http://forthills.suncor.com/en/staying_here.aspx
    I'm currently working at Fort Hills but staying off site at Beaver River Lodge. The two camps on the Fort Hills site are top notch. It's not even camp life really. Amazing food, amazing gyms, ball parks, golf simulators, etc. Just going up for the work week will be a joke no worries there. I haven't stayed at the ones on site yet, but everyone raves about them. Even Beaver River is pretty decent. Hotel sized rooms, private bathrooms, order your food on an ipad and pick it up when it's ready. All depends what camps you've been at before. If you are starting at these ones you will be spoiled and think any camp after this is garbage. I've stayed at shitty camps years ago, back to a really good camp, back to a shitty one and now here. So I can appreciate a good one when I get it, but can handle the shitty ones when they pop up.

I just work eat and sleep and the time goes by pretty fast. Sucks being away from the family, but you keep so busy that all of a sudden and it's flyday.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I found out my schedule its 7 days on 7 days off. I guess how my company works it is you dont get OT but you do get the following week off work... I guess I will have to find something to do - much rather just have the extra income.

My Ride
    06 F-150

I found out my schedule its 7 days on 7 days off. I guess how my company works it is you dont get OT but you do get the following week off work... I guess I will have to find something to do - much rather just have the extra income.
    Must be something crooked they are doing to deny you of any overtime. Hardly worth going up without making those OT bucks.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I think my boss is playing it safe because he doesn't really know too much yet.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by chathamf

Must be something crooked they are doing to deny you of any overtime. Hardly worth going up without making those OT bucks.
    Well that's one way of looking at it. Honestly though, for a 6 week commitment, I wouldn't hassle over it.

And the other way of looking at it, is we aren't exactly in the economic climate of 2011.. or 12, or 13, or even 14. Things suck now, and there's probably someone out there willing to go up for less money than you are

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

One week on / On week off is a wonderful schedule. I wouldn't complain at all about that.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Been doing camp life and working 7/7 schedule for years. We work a minimum of 80 hours during a work week. It's a "compressed" work week, that's the loophole for not paying out OT after 40 hours. Anything over our scheduled work day/week is OT. I'm guessing your company contract will

I've only heard great things about fort hills, you'll be fine.

My Ride

There is no traditional overtime with this schedule. You should receive 4 hours additional per set worked (7x12=84).

Enjoy your week off and use it to get shit done.

-H.P. Lovecraft

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast