Quantcast
Walking down the street - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking down the street

Last edited by blindsight; 03-08-2017 at 10:58 PM.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by JohnnyHockey
    Man you guys need to chill out...you all sound like walking snowcats you'do have a hernia if you ever walked in a bigger city like Vancouver or god forbid New York...
    I find bigger cities though crowded, that people know how to maneuver better; be it by car or foot.

Hate it in malls or grocery stores where these kinda ppl love walking diagonally in front of u, like a magnet.

I walk to work, and when I'm not dodging bikes riding on the sidewalk instead of the bike lane 6 inches away or on the road, I find a lot of people don't move. They just power down the middle of the sidewalk and my options are to run into them, or go on the grass.

Equally as annoying, people stand in the middle of escalators ALL THE TIME, even when it's obvious people behind them have caught up because they aren't standing still.

Never going to change unfortunately, so I try not to let it bother me. The average person is not very considerate, especially in Calgary. They walk like they drive/ride haha.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I know we're talking about the street but many people in grocery stores push their carts like they drive: cluelessly.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

I've seen people biking on the 8th st underpass sidewalk, expecting others to move Idiots.

Stay right except to pass? Seems logical to me. I think too many people are just oblivious to their surroundings.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    2009 G37X sedan, 2009 Murano

Have you guys ever just said excuse me? Some people just don't realize it. .it's a lot easier than getting your panties in a bunch

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I walk to work, and when I'm not dodging bikes riding on the sidewalk instead of the bike lane 6 inches away or on the road, I find a lot of people don't move. They just power down the middle of the sidewalk and my options are to run into them, or go on the grass.

Equally as annoying, people stand in the middle of escalators ALL THE TIME, even when it's obvious people behind them have caught up because they aren't standing still.
    I have similar experiences. Everytime, I get pissy and then I think about how I should've shouted "excuse you" at them.

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    They walk like they drive/ride haha.
    A lack of consideration is definitely evident in both, but in terms of usage of space I actually feel that the two are opposites. Traffic on Deerfoot or Stoney seems to behave like a dense solid, where gaps are to be minimized and all the particles need to bunch up. Put the same people in Costco and they behave like a gas and spread out to fill the available space.

Lots of very Passive-Aggressive people in this thread.

Life is pretty simple "Don't be a dick". Its amazing how much your stress levels will decrease and your overall happiness will increase.

Don't dwell on the stupid shit, if you have to step out of the way, oh well. Courtesy has to start somewhere.

They need to install "Keep Right Except to Pass" signs throughout the Plus-15.

My Ride
    changes every year

Have you guys ever just said excuse me? Some people just don't realize it. .it's a lot easier than getting your panties in a bunch
    Ive done this so many times and it has actually come to fisticuffs a few times and almost a fight a bunch of other times. I hate rude people and I have no issue voicing my opinion.

however, because its become serious at times by my saying something, I've decided over the last few years to just let it slide, especially when I have my kid with me.

it's tough for me not to say something, but I'm trying to be the "better" person.

My Ride

This sort of thing annoys the heck out of me, as well. I didn't care too much about it until a few years ago when I was on crutches, and people would do the same damn thing. It seemed like everyone expected me to try to shuffle out of THEIR way. So many people almost got whacked with a crutch... especially after they gave me an offended look like I had been in the wrong.

My Ride
    Lease

Beyond meet at a plus +15?

My Ride
    LNF

I just walk towards the right. But what irks me is couples that seem to think they own the sidewalk and refuse to let go of each other.
    My gf told me the other day at school that there was a line of 4 girls walking towards her and they wouldn't move so she shoulder checked one of them

My Ride
    Has wheels

Originally posted by blindsight
    One person, let them walk around me or run into me. If woman or child, I move out of the way.

Multiple people, walk through the middle of them.

Shopping cart sideways in the middle of an aisle, push it out of the way and further away from the person that left it.

Cyclists, etc...crapshoot, depends if they see me

6'4" 250lb...I can get away with a lot, but it's surprising how many 5'4" 120lb bastards walk toward me like I'm supposed to move out of their way.
    Follow the stay right rule of thumb and similar to this.

Another thing that irks me from time to time is when people don't say thank you when you hold the door for them. I always loudly say you're welcome. Get some strange looks sometimes.

Originally posted by vengie
    Lots of very Passive-Aggressive people in this thread.

Life is pretty simple "Don't be a dick". Its amazing how much your stress levels will decrease and your overall happiness will increase.

Don't dwell on the stupid shit, if you have to step out of the way, oh well. Courtesy has to start somewhere.
    Spoken like a true left side walker

Originally posted by Quizzes
    They need to install "Keep Right Except to Pass" signs throughout the Plus-15.
    Escalators (Like in the Shell building) actually have huge colored labels on either side of the escalator stairs telling people to stand on the right, walk on the left. Not one single person follows it haha. It is exactly the same as every other escalator. Just like the keep right except to pass signs on the highways, I find they do nothing. The intention is good though haha.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Beyond meet at a plus +15?
    We could all stand across the middle of the plus 15, stationary, and have a conversation. That way we would blend in with many others in the +15 and nobody would even know it was a meet. Strollers welcome.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

I typically move aside as it how it should be done.

But from my experiences in other BIG cities, I noticed that North Americans have issues with space. We have the luxury of having space but in other parts of the world this is not really a thing. Gotta walk where you can find room, and when they move here they don't know our norms
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Man you guys need to chill out...you all sound like walking snowcats you'do have a hernia if you ever walked in a bigger city like Vancouver or god forbid New York...
    For me, it isn't about the actual action itself. I'm big enough to likely come out of a collision with the lesser issues.

It's about simply being courteous to people around you. It's the same reason why people who let their merge lane run out, or people who cut in front of you (without signaling especially) also irk me.

It isn't difficult to be nice to people, and it's the I-only-care-about-me attitude which is largely why the world is in the state that it is. I simply don't care to share my space with such individuals.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast