Quantcast
Vehicle accident, advice on reporting? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Vehicle accident, advice on reporting?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Default Vehicle accident, advice on reporting?

Alright so situation: Cousin and her boyfriend are here on work visas from the UK. They have been driving one of my 4Runners which they had planned to buy from me and insure and register on their own once they both had jobs here in Canada. Today the boyfriend was driving near Canmore on a gravel road coming back from a hike and a moose ran in front of the vehicle, causing him to swerve and ended up in a tank slapper that put the truck on its side in the ditch. Him and 5 others were able to push the truck back onto its wheels and he drove it back to Canmore where he waited for me to come inspect it and we taped up the shattered windows and eased it back to Calgary.

Anyway I am well aware he was driving on my insurance, we are both well aware the vehicle doesn't have collision coverage and there were no other vehicles or property damaged in the accident. We plan to fix it ourselves with new glass and a new mirror, the lights are all undamaged and we aren't so bothered about the metalwork. I want to get a accident report and sticker for the truck asap, but the boyfriend is hesitant to go to the police as he is still on his U.K license and the vehicle is insured and registered under myself still until he purchases it from me. He's also concerned about my insurance company hearing about this accident and it affecting my rates despite it being personal vehicle damaged only and no other vehicles or property involved. It says online insurance companies can request info from the police regarding accidents, but I feel like that would only happen if a claim was made.

I want him to get a damage sticker and accident report tomorrow, he doesn't want to.

Thoughts?

My Ride
    bus

You don't need a police report if the damage is under 2k. Just park it till you fix it, no need to file a report.

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

If you are planning on fixing it by yourself why report it anyway? Why bother insurance unless you want them to pay for it.
    So get the car fixed in your garage and have your cousin' bf pay for the parts and your time.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

The actual damage if it was fixed properly would certainly exceed $2k. Two windows are smashed, the front fender is completely FUBAR (oddly enough the power antenna works fine haha), the front bumper is shifted, the mirror is torn off, the rear most side panel under the window is pushed in probably 2 inches. Insurance would surely write the truck off if I had collision coverage.

I'm concerned the police may see it driving around partially repaired and think it's been involved in a hit and run?

My Ride
    bus

If that's the case and you must drive it around then I would report it and get a sticker.

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

If you are concerned, then have him to file a police report. It does not affect his status or anything if he is worried about getting kicked out of country lol

My Ride
    4x4

File a police report, you're required to report it (and that means going back to canmore) Covers your ass if they go hunting for a wrecked 4runner and they find yours. You're going to get more questions reporting it now - as they're going to wonder about intoxication etc.

Insurance won't know if you don't report it to them. It's really that easy.

Yeah 4runners always take a hit good. New door fender and glass and be done with it.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by AndyL
    File a police report, you're required to report it (and that means going back to canmore) Covers your ass if they go hunting for a wrecked 4runner and they find yours. You're going to get more questions reporting it now - as they're going to wonder about intoxication etc.

Insurance won't know if you don't report it to them. It's really that easy.

Yeah 4runners always take a hit good. New door fender and glass and be done with it.
    I'm assuming I don't need to be there for the report as I wasn't driving or with him? He has my insurance and registration with the truck. We tried to stop at RCMP on the way out but they close at 4pm in Canmore.

My Ride
    4x4

Nah, other than fielding a phone call about whether he was authorized - no reason for you to show up.

Call ahead to the non emergency line - smaller detachments can advise a good time to show up. And can cover off all the checklist so you ensure to bring all you need.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

He got a accident sticker and report done through CPS yesterday, and what's even more impressive is I came home and the truck had a new fender, mirror and one window glass in it already.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Nice!! Gotta love people who are proactive in fixing their mistakes.

Cousin's BF indeed sounds like a chill dude

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Get your cousin to change his UK licence to a Canadian one. They will just swap it over at the registry as there is some sort of recognised agreement. I did the same when I moved over on a work permit.

Tell him not to worry about his UK one. He can just apply for a new one when he gets back and say he er.. 'lost it'.
    It will make life a lot easier for him.

My Ride
    4x4

Weird - I was always told you had to file report at the detachment for the area...