Quantcast
C-Train Derailment at Tuscany LRT Station - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: C-Train Derailment at Tuscany LRT Station

Originally posted by Darell_n
    My question is how the hell does a single car cost over $3mill. Do people realize what kind of motor home you get for that money or any other large transportation vehicle? Talk about wasted tax dollars. (not mine though, haha)
    Oh there is probably some of your tax dollars in that car.

My Ride
    Bicycle

My question is how the hell does a single car cost over $3mill. Do people realize what kind of motor home you get for that money or any other large transportation vehicle? Talk about wasted tax dollars. (not mine though, haha)
    Well, if you live in Cochrane, AB, you paid Fed taxes (GST at least). You already paid for part of it.

The crashed car is SD160. The new car is SD200 which started going into service this year and that's the $3.2M car. But that's 2013 pricing. Order another one today, it'll be over $4M since it's made in California.

So order a new one, fix up the old one plus track work, I don't doubt this will be a $7M insurance pay out. Somehow I think insurance company is gonna ditch Alberta soon. But seriously, I think insurance company that covered CT is now probably going thru the driver's records and CT policies with a fine comb to reduce the pay out.

And if you wonder why something cost this much, it's because unless CT got to balls to retire ALL cars and change vendor, you will have to keep buying from Siemens to maintain compatibility. You are pretty much locked in for life.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-21-2016 at 08:09 PM.

Guess that depends where you live. I'd argue (as someone who chose a house based on proximity to the train line) it's one of the better uses of tax payer money.

Because of the train I only drive 5-10k per year. My maintenance costs on my vehicles in The last 5 years (ignoring oil changes) has been zero dollars as each car only gets 1-2k per year. I pay very little per month in fuel. My insurance is much cheaper as I don't commute with my cars and am a lower risk due to my low mileage. Plus I get a tax refund from the bus passes. I can go out drinking and not have to pay for a cab. The list goes on...

So I definitely still agree that we get shafted tax wise but their are ways of adjusting your lifestyle to benefit most off the money you fork over to the government.

Originally posted by Xtrema

So order a new one, fix up the old one plus track work, I don't doubt this will be a $7M insurance pay out. Somehow I think insurance company is gonna ditch Alberta soon. But seriously, I think insurance company that covered CT is now probably going thru the driver's records and CT policies with a fine comb to reduce the pay out.
    Calgary Transit is self-insured by the City according news articles I read so that shouldn't be a problem.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4