Quantcast
Teaching Question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Question

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Question Teaching Question

So I am curious where beyond sits on a question which has erked me the last couple days...

Your kid is in school and struggling to learn a subject or concept in school or other forms of learning (ie swimming lessons, sports). The teacher has used a wide variety of means to teach the subject. Furthermore the teacher or coach has made it clear that practice at home would likely assist the childs learning.

Do you accuse the teacher of teaching the subject wrong?

Do you you actually work on the subject out of school?

What do you consider the role of education at home?

An example of my own:

I teach swim lessons and I constantly have children who struggle with what many of us perceive as "basic" skills such as floating, and flutter kick. When parents have come to me expressing concern over their children consistently repeating a level due to one or two issues and ask me what can they do? I often respond with letting the p[aren't know that practice at a pool during family or public swim times can often be beneficial as I only have 30 minutes once a week with that child and even in that 30 min. I have 7 other kids to work with so sometimes the parent has to take time to practice if their child is struggling.

In my own experience as an instructor I have found that parents often won't take an instructor seriously and assume that they are teaching it wrong and they do not take extra time to work with their children...

thoughts?
    Last edited by MalibuStacy; 09-20-2016 at 10:33 PM.
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    NC1

I agree with you MalibuStacy.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    dumpster trains

I not really looking for people to agree, because I know there is people who don't but what would you do?

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

I can't swim....I am actually scared of water....

So we will use another example...

Anything academic related I was great at...as long as it didn't involve math...I CANNOT make heads or tails of mathematics concepts....Might as well be written in Japanese...

But my parents they tried to get me help within the school system...study nights and such...but when that didn't work...we went outside that and went the tutor route...

So we worked on it outside of school to give me some more time the material...it helped me out a bit....but still...God do I so despise math haha...

EDIT...I should add...My parents are of East Indian heritage....so in their eyes...it was I who was failing at learning, not the teacher in teaching haha...
    ...@therealarifjina...

I've had a lot of random issues with teachers over the years at my son's school. We pay good money at a private school, we volunteer, we are in constant communication with all of the teachers yet some years the teachers are so oblivious and lack basic communication skills that we have paid for tutors for our son.

The one recurring subject always seems to be math for my son. We make every teacher know that we will take home any extra work, we will pay for anything they'd recommend and yet somehow some years the teachers don't fill us in on any areas of struggle for my son until a report card comes out.

My son's teacher last year was the best teacher he has ever had... sent home extra work as we asked, helped my son during lunch hours anytime that was needed, spent time after school as well. He went above and beyond.

Unfortunately for the most part from my experience the teachers are the issue. Lack of communication, lack of planning or a lack of caring. I shouldn't have to pay for a tutor because a teacher failed to inform me of areas my child needed help in.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by MalibuStacy
    I not really looking for people to agree, because I know there is people who don't but what would you do?
    Asian mentality. I blame my kid and probably blame myself too.

White people blame the teacher.

Generalization but whatever lol
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Parents should actively participate in their childrens' education when it comes to anything At the end of the day, I've always viewed teachers as "guides", its not like they download the info into your brain. The kid has to work at it, as do the parents.

One thing to note, and you probably know this, not everyone is a good swimmer. Physical activities require different attributes, some can play hockey well, others basketball, etc etc.

Back in the day, I failed my maroon a kajillion times. My parents gave up. I can swim and not die, but I'm not a diehard water guy, the hottub is usually where you will find me lol. So in addition to everything else, some younger kids simply may not ever be good at it.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Default Re: Teaching Question

Do you accuse the teacher of not teaching the subject wrong?

Do you you actually work on the subject out of school?

What do you consider the role of education at home?

An example of my own:

I teach swim lessons and I constantly have children who struggle with what many of us perceive as "basic" skills such as floating, and flutter kick. When parents have come to me expressing concern over their children consistently repeating a level due to one or two issues and ask me what can they do? I often respond with letting the p[aren't know that practice at a pool during family or public swim times can often be beneficial as I only have 30 minutes once a week with that child and even in that 30 min. I have 7 other kids to work with so sometimes the parent has to take time to practice if their child is struggling.

In my own experience as an instructor I have found that parents often won't take an instructor seriously and assume that they are teaching it wrong and they do not take extra time to work with their children...

thoughts?
    Do you accuse the teacher of not teaching the subject correctly?
    That would depend on whether they actually are. The fact of the matter is: not all teachers/coaches are the same, regardless of the cirriculum. What makes a teacher good is: can they articulate and explain the technique/method/mechanic behind what they're teaching? And, can they identify what is holding them back?

As a basketball coach, when I talk to parents about their kid's weaknesses and ways to improve, I try to be specific in what areas in particular they need to improve. Ie. The ball is coming off the wrong fingers when they shoot, leg strength, etc.

If I can convince the parent that I know what I'm talking about, they are more likely to take your suggestion for more individual practice more seriously. Also, all kids develop at different rates, so in a lot of cases, the kids simply just aren't physically ready to master a particular skill.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

^you hit it spot on banana. Not all teachers are the same. The teaching styles year to year vary so much and there is a major lack of consistencies in how teachers deal with their students.

Some send work home, some use agendas, others couldn't give a damn no matter what you ask of them. Theres nothing worst then talking with your kids teacher asking about different subjects and how he's doing only to be told everything is great then to open a report card to see there were areas we could have focused on after school. WTF!!

The one year I wanted to kill the teacher... the next year the teacher was the best my son has had.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Back in the day, I failed my maroon a kajillion times. My parents gave up. I can swim and not die, but I'm not a diehard water guy, the hottub is usually where you will find me lol. So in addition to everything else, some younger kids simply may not ever be good at it.
    lol just like me
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Well first off Floating is bullshit, I still cant float to this day and I passed all the way up to bronze whatever.

God damn heavy legs!!

That is it

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

took me 2-3 tries to get pass yellow and that was the first one. i didn't even backfloat and she still passed me! that was it for swimming and i thought i would never be able to swim, ever. then at age30 i forced myself to do it and now i can get across the lanes but with shit technique lol. i didn't blame anyone though, blamed myself for being so garbage at it.
    I am user #49

Default Re: Teaching Question

That viewpoint reaks of the western blame game when it comes to teaching. Rather than blaming a teacher, they should have hired a tutor or had their children set aside extra time to learn. The eastern viewpoint would be to blame the child for not trying hard enough. Not that the later is correct, but I'd see it as more valid, as things may be harder for certain people to grasp, and sometimes require extra work.

Reminds me of when I would have students email me at the end of the semester and state about how they needed to finish with an A, but said nothing the whole semester when they had the chance to get extra help and feedback.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    dumpster trains

From your responses I can see not everyone here is nuts... but based on some of your responses I can also clearly see some of you are old (we haven't taught maroon or yellow in a long time).

I asked the questions because I am also currently in my first year of a two year after degree in education, and this is a subject which has come up during discussion.

To me a "good" teacher is one that can adjust to meet the needs of the students they serve. And as I said I find some times the parents must take some extra time.

That being said a good swim instructor can often see past ones physical burdens...I too am dense and cannot float very well, but I am a instructor and lifeguard.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Default Re: Re: Teaching Question

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Do you accuse the teacher of not teaching the subject correctly?
    Thanks for the edit

I'm glad you will fail kids Malibustacy. My son's taking his bronze medallion swim class at the moment. He had to take an extra course because he was too young just to continue with the swim lessons. Except for this current class there is always someone who is way behind and unable to swim a complete lap or looks like they'll drown.

It doesn't help the other 8+ kids in the class if the instructor has to hang out with one kid who is in the wrong swim class because he wasn't held back.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

(we haven't taught maroon or yellow in a long time).
    Ouch I didn't realize 28 was old, FML

Well this sounds familiar, lol. I worked at the pools here for the better part of a decade right from lesson peon to NLSIT from '97 ~ '09. If it's happened in the water, I've seen it.

For me, I'd say the parents are less apt to take a swimming lesson instructor as seriously as a professional teacher (albeit rightfully so). This is for a couple reasons, IMHO:
    1. Most lifeguards/instructors are young & do it as a secondary job. If they do stay, they move up the ranks to teach higher level classes or into an advisor role as a supervisor.
    2. Swimming & other extracurricular activities, while important, are not viewed the same as grade school.
    3. You also only get a half hour to deal with a min of 6 kids. That’s 5min each tops. In 10 lessons you haven’t even given them an hour of personal instruction. Getting parents to grasp this is pretty hard though.

Now, that being said, those parents who easily pass blame over not completing a swimming badge are far more likely to do it elsewhere in their life too. Anyone can see it coming a mile away - The kid who's always late, the parents who are MIA during the ONE parent-teacher day you get, the ones who sit in the viewing gallery on their damn phone, etc.

In the end, nobody gets good at something doing the minimum. It’s the old tired adage: “All the pro athletes got there from dedication & practicing every day”. Same goes for out of class learning, homework, parental help, whatever you want to call it – It’s not just up to the teacher, everyone needs to be involved. Unfortunately, one weak link & it makes everything harder.
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Is there such a thing as private swimming lessons? How would you find an instructor for this?

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

The problem with instruction in my eyes has more to do with the teacher than the student..

- the teacher is required to know various methods of communication, or should at the very least have a good understanding that 20 people in a room will each require a different set of instructions to understand a concept.
    Children can be challenging because they have not established a self taught method of learning, and need a base of concept in order to learn something new.
    One of the bigger things that I have seen they get caught up on; is the mentality - that they should be naturally good at something, as if to be born with knowledge and ability. But as we adults know, that's just not he case, and while some kids do have a natural talent as we would describe, anyone with time and dedication can learn anything. (Baring any type of diagnosed learning ability).
    For me when in charge of a group of young people, and charged with instruction; I always make it a point to give the theory behind what they are learning.
    In the case of swimming and floating, it would be my goal that they understand why and how we float (our density is less than that of pure water) When doing this I would also make sure to say it three to five different ways and also to use a few different examples. Making sure that the concept is understood by each participant, while giving personal attention to those who are clearly struggling.
    It's ideal to ask lots of questions to those that can't grasp what's being taught, as they are clearly not understanding what's being said.

More often than not a see many instructors of various sorts, sticking to a script, either due to time constrains or their own inability to by dynamic enough to understand each learners ability and struggles.
    There are the more senior instructors who have a proven method to teach, but again you will always encounter that 5% that just needs to hear things just a little differently

Really though with any instruction and a child the real and meaningful learning happens at home or in the presence of their close relatives, it's they whom a child will understand best, as their own their own thought patterns have been developed in resemblance to those of the progennates.

Teaching kids can be a very rewarding experience or it can be hell.

Me as a teacher, who has given the attention required to teach, and instruct; if a child continues to fail and not progress, then I put the blame solely on the parents and their lack of interest.
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 09-21-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast