Quantcast
$40 pack of cigarettes in Austrailia. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: $40 pack of cigarettes in Austrailia.

Default $40 pack of cigarettes in Austrailia.

0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Debate on the cigarette tax hike also left a Liberal backbencher calling for a rethink of the ban on nicotine e-cigarettes, arguing the devices could spell the end of cigarette smoking. James Paterson said some of the reasons cited by health groups for maintaining the ban were puzzling and strange.
    I didn't know vapes were banned there, but I'm not that surprised either. Basically another ban due to self righteous ignorance and tobacco company lobbyists (legal bribery).

Vaping is infinitely less harmful than tobacco smoking, and it is by far the most effective tobacco smoking cessation. Which of course means it's by far the greatest threat to the tobacco companies profit.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Funny they allow the most addictive and harmful substance to remain legal, yet vitamin treatments are illegal

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by Seth1968
    Vaping is infinitely less harmful than tobacco smoking, and it is by far the most effective tobacco smoking cessation. Which of course means it's by far the greatest threat to the tobacco companies profit.
    Disagreed with the last point. I'm pretty sure most of the vaping companies are owned by cigarette companies. All the other stop smoking products pretty much are. In some markets cigarettes do better, in others vaping will.

I didn't know vapes were banned there, but I'm not that surprised either. Basically another ban due to self righteous ignorance and tobacco company lobbyists (legal bribery).

Originally posted by Feruk

Disagreed with the last point. I'm pretty sure most of the vaping companies are owned by cigarette companies.
    Interesting point if true.

Even if it is though, vaping is far less expensive than smoking, so if your possible point is true, I would think the tobacco companies will still lose significant profit.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 09-23-2016 at 07:49 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Interesting point if true.

Even if it is though, vaping is far less expensive than smoking, so if your possible point is true, I would think the tobacco companies will still lose significant profit.
    http://www.drugfree.org/news-service...ette-business/

It's either a little of profit or none at all.

And at least vaping is not regulated or taxed, so there is more freedom. Until we find out 30 years later that vaping is bad. Something like vape juice is refined from Chinese gutter oil.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    And at least vaping is not regulated or taxed, so there is more freedom. Until we find out 30 years later that vaping is bad. Something like vape juice is refined from Chinese gutter oil.
    Meh, that just adds more flavor

Anyway, the previous stop smoking methods had a dismal failure rate. It was mainly due the lack of a transnational alternative. Well, vapes took care of that.

As far as health concerns go, true non biased research finds that vape smoke is about 97& less toxic than tobacco smoke, and has already got millions off of poison laced tobacco.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Hey ZO, what's your thoughts/opinion on the story you linked to above?

My Ride
    FJC, S30

I rather pay for 40 dollar smokes than fuckin carbon tax. In reality though everything in Oz is expensive but their salaries reflect living cost.
    Submaker.Illest.

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
    I rather pay for 40 dollar smokes than fuckin carbon tax. In reality though everything in Oz is expensive but their salaries reflect living cost.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
    In reality though everything in Oz is expensive but their salaries reflect living cost.
    This, from video games to liquor everything is almost 1.5x more than here. I remember it being way more expensive vs the CDN $ for that same product, even if our money is almost on par with the AUD $.

Originally posted by n1zm0

This, from video games to liquor everything is almost 1.5x more than here. I remember it being way more expensive vs the CDN $ for that same product, even if our money is almost on par with the AUD $.
    It's the same old and cliche soccer mom position.

They only make $5 dollars a day! Think of the children!

Well what value is that said so called dollar in another country, and what us there cost of living?

In other words, meaningless numbers.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Until we find out 30 years later that vaping is bad.
    Well I'm sure it isn't GOOD. Anybody who thinks inhaling a substance that isn't specifically designed to help the body is going to be completely harmless needs to be realistic. Even if the substances aren't technically harmful themselves (which has not been conclusively proven either way) the body tends to react to any foreign matter regardless.

The point is though, that we KNOW cigarettes to be harmful. We also know that vape has far less chemicals in it than cigarettes do, and that the ingredients in vape juice are largely considered benign.

With that said, there is no regulation so juices may indeed contain elements that are known to be harmful. And even then, the question becomes whether the levels are high enough to be harmful or not.

Lots of questions, not many answers. But at this point in time, I think it is *almost* safe to say that e-cigs are generally significantly less harmful than cigarettes. Exactly how much less remains to be seen, but considering so many people such as myself have quit smoking entirely due to the introduction of these devices, I'd say e-cigs should be strongly studied and legislation should be in place to be accepting of their use as soon as possible.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:36 AM.

WTF it was JUST blueberry season, and the growers were getting 50c a lb here. Why do they have to come from Australia at that price.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:35 AM.

My Ride
    MDX

You should see the price of premium cigars there. It's harder to import Cubans into Aus than it is to the states.