Quantcast
DJI Mavic Pro - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: DJI Mavic Pro

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default DJI Mavic Pro

http://www.dji.com/mavic

Karma doesn't even get a week and DJI already answered.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I held off on the Phantom because it seemed far too big for hiking or travel.

The Mavic looks legit but it seems more and more companies are passing drone laws that make flying next to impossible to do as a hobby.

My Ride
    Grimace

I like the idea of the karma though because of the fully standalone controller (Don't need phone for display) and the removable hand gimble Hero 5 combo that you can use that separate from the drone. DJI seems like it would be the better drone itself though.

I was going to buy a drone until I learned you can't fly them anywhere you might want to. They are pretty impressive but you can't use them hardly anywhere. The annoying/unsafe operators ruined it for the rest of us.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I was going to buy a drone until I learned you can't fly them anywhere you might want to. They are pretty impressive but you can't use them hardly anywhere. The annoying/unsafe operators ruined it for the rest of us.
    Well unless we start to see citizen arrests, a smaller more incognito (size and sound) drone will just make things worse.

I saw a snowpussy video where he flew a Phantom over Lake Louise, there is no way he applied permit for that and it doesn't look like pro stock footage.

http://www.phantom-four.com/dji-mavic-vs-gopro-karma/

Yup, GoPro got pwned.

Karma is bigger, less flight time, no tracking, less range, more expensive.

It does have a backpack and a gimbal handle but that's about it.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-28-2016 at 10:38 AM.

My Ride
    Grimace

So the new DJI isn't a new phantom replacement, but more of a more hobbyist oriented drone then?

Originally posted by schocker
    So the new DJI isn't a new phantom replacement, but more of a more hobbyist oriented drone then?
    It's just more portable. It folds down so you can carry or pack it easier to whatever destination you're going to. It's separate from the Phantom line.

My Ride
    G

Seriously considering buying a mavic as my first drone. Bought a dji osmo mobile not too long ago and seriously wish dji had better customer service
    Last edited by JC522; 09-28-2016 at 01:50 PM.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Wanted to try but just don't know where I could fly it and not risk breaking any laws.

The only guidelines I found as to where I can/can't fly a drone without any sort of permit (for Canada anyways)
    - Not inside national parks
    - Not within certain distance of airport
    - Something like 150 m away from roads and buildings

I was told that the DJIs have geofence information programmed. So does that mean that if it let me take off from certain location and that it doesn't stop mid air somewhere, I'm okay to fly?

Also, anyone have experience fly drones in other countries? Like Japan or Hong Kong? Those guys at digitalRev took off from the walking path around The Peak in one of their videos, and I thought / assumed that would have been a big no no.

Originally posted by ZeroGravity

I'm kind of in the same boat. Wanted to try but just don't know where I could fly it and not risk breaking any laws.

The only guidelines I found as to where I can/can't fly a drone without any sort of permit (for Canada anyways)
    - Not inside national parks
    - Not within certain distance of airport
    - Something like 150 m away from roads and buildings

I was told that the DJIs have geofence information programmed. So does that mean that if it let me take off from certain location and that it doesn't stop mid air somewhere, I'm okay to fly?

Also, anyone have experience fly drones in other countries? Like Japan or Hong Kong? Those guys at digitalRev took off from the walking path around The Peak in one of their videos, and I thought / assumed that would have been a big no no.
    I was looking into a Phantom 4...it looks completely awesome and idiot-proof, loaded with technology. But you can't use it anywhere.

The Geofence has different levels, it ranges from warnings (prompts on your controller screen) to full-on flight restriction where you can't fly into those areas. Good feature IMO, but probably something all manufacturers need to employ to be effective. I am not sure if DJI provides the restricted areas based on different city/province/state regulations, or if the governing body has to participate in the program. It might have automatic restrictions for airports and such already.

I read an article the other day in the Herald and Calgary Police commented on the issue and the rules...you basically can't use them anywhere haha:

“As it stands at the moment, we can use the Criminal Code for virtually any UAV use,” Foster said.
    “The minute you go beyond the boundaries of your own yard, you commit an offence,” Foster explained.
    “The basic rule is that you can’t fly a drone anywhere within the city, unless you have special permission,” said Foster.
    “People want to have fun with these things,” he said. “They just don’t realize the implications of what can happen with them.”
    In a list of “dos and don’ts” for flying a drone, Transport Canada advises operators not to fly within nine kilometres of any aerodrome, higher than 300 feet above the ground, closer than 500 feet from people, animals, buildings, structures or vehicles, in populated areas or near large groups of people, near moving vehicles, within controlled airspace and anywhere where the drones might interfere with first responders.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ated-to-drones

I was looking into a Phantom 4...it looks completely awesome and idiot-proof, loaded with technology. But you can't use it anywhere.

The Geofence has different levels, it ranges from warnings (prompts on your controller screen) to full-on flight restriction where you can't fly into those areas. Good feature IMO, but probably something all manufacturers need to employ to be effective. I am not sure if DJI provides the restricted areas based on different city/province/state regulations, or if the governing body has to participate in the program. It might have automatic restrictions for airports and such already.

I read an article the other day in the Herald and Calgary Police commented on the issue and the rules...you basically can't use them anywhere haha:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ated-to-drones
    Hee hee... thanks for the info. Well at least I can fly it in my backyard :P even then, I think some neighbors would probably complain.

Now I just need friends that own large piece of property.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by ZeroGravity
    Since the DJI Go app is the central to all your controls, it will prevent you from take off if you are in restricted zone.

You must have internet connection with DJI account attached with credit card to acknowledge and bypass the restriction on the app. Or if you have no internet at the location, you have to do that ahead of your travel.

Basically the geofencing is for DJI offloading legal responsibility to user. Because they don't really check if you actually have permission, just a sign off.

I have not ran into that yet. But I have seen that message in Hamptons which is still in city but outside of the 9km airport zone (barely).
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-28-2016 at 07:37 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Last edited by msommers; 10-03-2016 at 07:50 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian