Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off? PART 6 (New Poll Options!) - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your/the current employment status

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • There have been layoffs but there will not likely be anymore

33 16.84%
  • There have been layoffs and there will likely be more

61 31.12%
  • Steady as she goes - No layoffs yet and there will likely not be any coming

40 20.41%
  • I'm currently looking for work because I was laid off/quit.

23 11.73%
  • Our company is actively hiring

17 8.67%
  • I switched industries

16 8.16%
  • I may have been laid off/quit but I am back in school

6 3.06%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off? PART 6 (New Poll Options!)

Originally posted by killramos
    lolwut?

Where did you hear that nonsense.
    I don't think he's wrong... if you are laid off because the role no longer exists, you are entitled to the position in the case it again is available...

the premise of "laid off" is intended to indicate no more work for that position rather than performed out or "you cost too much"

getting around this... adjustment to role profiles and calling them something else, and reposting

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    I don't think he's wrong... if you are laid off because the role no longer exists, you are entitled to the position in the case it again is available...

the premise of "laid off" is intended to indicate no more work for that position rather than performed out or "you cost too much"

getting around this... adjustment to role profiles and calling them something else, and reposting
    This is the way I understood it as well.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by sabad66
    The company i work for (big producer) has a clause in the severence contract that says you can never work there in the future, either as an employee or contractor.
    Does that apply for both termination for cause and for layoff due to lack of work? It seems odd that it would apply to both situations since you were obviously good enough to work there before and if you left on terms not related to performance, why would they not want you back.

As for the Spikers situation, I don't think it's even a loophole. They laid off positions A and B, then positions C and D retired. They can't go out and try to immediately fill A and B; but since C and D were not laid off, they can fill them right away. I think there is a time frame buried in Employment Standards, but can't dig it up now.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:33 AM.

Originally posted by FraserB

Does that apply for both termination for cause and for layoff due to lack of work? It seems odd that it would apply to both situations since you were obviously good enough to work there before and if you left on terms not related to performance, why would they not want you back.

As for the Spikers situation, I don't think it's even a loophole. They laid off positions A and B, then positions C and D retired. They can't go out and try to immediately fill A and B; but since C and D were not laid off, they can fill them right away. I think there is a time frame buried in Employment Standards, but can't dig it up now.
    Not too sure about termination as I don't know anyone who has been fired, but definitely for layoff/elimination of the job

To your point about "good enough to work there before", arguably that no longer applies because we give people anywhere from 30-60 days to find another job internally before you're officially laid off (as opposed to laying people off and walking them Out the door). So maybe they figure if you weren't able to network your way into finding a new role then not the type of employee they want to see even if things pick up

Somewhat harsh but that's the way she goes.

My Ride
    Silverado

hasnt the area around midland been blowing up for years?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by r3ccOs

Interesting, sounds pretty well entirely unenforceable considering a "role" can be nebulous and vary day to day based on an organizations whims.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    hasnt the area around midland been blowing up for years?
    It's been a strong producing area for many years - it's a known commodity. Right now, it's the most active play in North America.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Interesting, sounds pretty well entirely unenforceable considering a "role" can be nebulous and vary day to day based on an organizations whims.
    Ever heard of "constructive dismissal"? This falls into this category. Again, why fight it if they want you gone and are willing to give you a good chunk of change? Your severance is void if you sue and you usually sign a NDA.

Take your chances with lawyers charging $400-$500/h? Burn through $60k-$100k pretty quick.

Originally posted by sabad66

Not too sure about termination as I don't know anyone who has been fired, but definitely for layoff/elimination of the job

To your point about "good enough to work there before", arguably that no longer applies because we give people anywhere from 30-60 days to find another job internally before you're officially laid off (as opposed to laying people off and walking them Out the door). So maybe they figure if you weren't able to network your way into finding a new role then not the type of employee they want to see even if things pick up

Somewhat harsh but that's the way she goes.
    The clause exists, but I do know people that have come back there.

Originally posted by suntan
    Yah I do too. Assuming we are talking about Shell.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by FraserB
    It seems odd that it would apply to both situations since you were obviously good enough to work there before and if you left on terms not related to performance, why would they not want you back.
    I can understand it as a blanket rule since it's a global company with so many pissed off ex-employees. This is a way to make sure they don't come back via some connections.

I am sure there will be exceptions but the manager hiring you back probably have to put his/her career on the line to pull that off.

Originally posted by lasimmon

I'm sure we all know where sabad66 works as much as he doesn't want the internet to know.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-17-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Originally posted by lasimmon

Of course anything is possible if you are valuable/wanted enough, just saying it exists in the signed severance paperwork.

I'd be curious if other companies do something similar
    Last edited by sabad66; 11-17-2016 at 11:28 AM.

From what I've heard, it seems unique.

My Ride
    Bicycle

From what I've heard, it seems unique.
    It is, Shell is still the only place I have heard has that clause in there. And I was also an exception to that clause for a while.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-17-2016 at 11:44 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Ever heard of "constructive dismissal"? This falls into this category. Again, why fight it if they want you gone and are willing to give you a good chunk of change? Your severance is void if you sue and you usually sign a NDA.

Take your chances with lawyers charging $400-$500/h? Burn through $60k-$100k pretty quick.
    I'm not sure we are disagreeing on this.

My point was along the lines of if you are laid off ( packaged ) and then they hire someone to replace you for the "same" role then that statute is likely effectively unenforceable on the company and nothing will come of you making a stink ( including legal action ) about it.

GL pulling off a genuine constructive dismissal suit unless you have a management contract worth enough to fight over.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I know with us, when you leave, HR asks your manager about your performance and such. HR then makes a note on your file if you are rehire-able or not.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I'm not sure we are disagreeing on this.

My point was along the lines of if you are laid off ( packaged ) and then they hire someone to replace you for the "same" role then that statute is likely effectively unenforceable on the company and nothing will come of you making a stink ( including legal action ) about it.

GL pulling off a genuine constructive dismissal suit unless you have a management contract worth enough to fight over.
    Ah, I understand, yes, I think we do agree.

Originally posted by Xtrema

I'm sure we all know where sabad66 works as much as he doesn't want the internet to know.
    cat's out of the bag! not a big deal though otherwise i wouldn't have mentioned any details that make it blatantly obvious. i think there's at least a few more of us on this site too. suntan's wife too apparently

My Ride
    V8s

Well, I got a new job. Back to work Monday. Haven't even gotten an EI payment yet, basically just a paid vacation from my previous employer.

Pretty pumped, got more money and increased responsibility. Getting laid off was a fantastic career move apparently.

edit: It was all thanks to networking. Applying for jobs didn't produce any callbacks for me, coffee meetings were what got it done. For anyone that's still looking, go have coffee or beers with anyone you've worked with/for that you have a decent relationship with.
    Last edited by bjstare; 12-01-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast