Quantcast
OMGOMGOMG I finally figured it out!!!! WOOOOOOT - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OMGOMGOMG I finally figured it out!!!! WOOOOOOT

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Lightbulb OMGOMGOMG I finally figured it out!!!! WOOOOOOT

So after 2 months of chasing wires, replacing sensors, fixing wiring problems all over the car, and just generally beating my head against the wall I think I've finally gotten to the bottom of my car's problems!

I had a ton of problems with the install in general but the worst thing of all was that with stock parts my car was running horribly rich.. like 30% rich all the farging time. (clue #1) I just couldn't understand why the car refused to idle properly and would stumble incredibly hard in between shifts.

I thought at first that it was the MAF, which was supposed to be a Z32 one but was actually from an older VG30de (v6 maxima one 22680-16v00) (clue #2) which was making it run rich, but when I realised I didn't have the right MAF I bought the proper one from EBAY, part number 22680-02U00 (R32 GTST).

I then turned my attention to the o2 sensor circuit, because the o2 sensor was taking a good 15 minutes to start to register anything on my air/fuel guage.. and it turned out that the o2 heater was never hooked up.. I went to the parts place down the street and got a CA18ET O2 sensor as it has exactly the same part number as the RB one, fitted it up and ran the wires for the o2 sensor, and took it for a drive. Still the same

Well, that wasn't it, the car still exhibited pretty much the same symptoms as before. I was stumped but decided to pull out the computer and look at the codes it was putting out. I was getting code 12 (MAF circuit) and Code 42 (unknown.. R32 does not throw this code) (clue #3)

I found that the MAF sensor wires had been melted some time before I got the car (that would explain the burnt plastic on the turbo heat shield) , they had formed a big melted glob at the back of the motor and the sensor wires were shorting. I rewired the MAF and got good continuity to the ECU from the 2 sensor wires. I recovered the maf wires in a new wire wrap, taped everything up nice and took it for a drive. Same problems

I also realised at that time that the ECU bolted up using the stock holes and ecu brackets, which makes no sense as the R32 is RHD and the ecu is on the left side kick panel, and should therefore mount 'inversely' to the LHD ones. (clue #4) .. something was up here. I took the part number from the ECU ( 23710-40p01 ) and compared it to this chart which lists all JDM ECU numbers here:

http://www.grid.co.jp/DAT/unitdat.txt

MY FREAKING ECU IS THE WRONG ONE!!!! IT"S FROM A VG30DE!!

So the moral of this story is, if you're going to install a motor into your car, make sure you:

A ) Take the time to wire all the sensors up
    B ) Take the time to assure you have the right parts first.... you could save yourself 6 months of pain and suffering...

Anywho, I'm pretty fucking happy right now!!! At least I know what's wrong with my car, and can fix it!! I'm Uber-Pumped!!
    Bought not built!

Lets see that new car in action Kev!

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

Nice take som pics

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

It's coming, I found about 20 different wiring problems all throughout the car that were causing all sorts of wierd electrical shorts.. lights would come on all the time, the dash lights would fade out ect...

Turned out that one of the previous owners "uninstalled" an alarm system by just cutting all the switch wires and leaving bare 12v+ wires all over the place. There were 6 different shorts in the dome light circuit alone!

Originally posted by Dj_Stylz
    Nice take som pics
    haha, this car is the ugliest POS ever.. it's got kick ass wheels/brakes and soon-to-be suspension tho!
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    pedals

awsome. great to hear your getting it sorted out!

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

nice, now paint it flat black and get some pics
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    335i

Is this the 240 you wrote about before or a new project?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

The same one, I'm going to have to eventually find a better chassis but in the meantime I can drive this one once I get the proper ecu! I'm pretty pumped.. (wait, I already said that)

Only wish I would have put 2 and 2 together sooner!!

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Kick ass!! I got a really cheap ECU on Ebay!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2463714884

My Ride
    Pathfinder

Did you acctually win that with the bid of $11 US?? WOW thats cheap. good find

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

hell yeah! And I got him to give me a whole bunch of other hoses and assorted RB20 bits for another 20$.. my car's going to finally run right !!

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Congrats Kev, nice to hear you are figuring this all out. Cant wait to see your car in action

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Thats awesome man, who gave you a V30 wiring harness? Cant wait to see it in action, the car is going to be like night and day

Originally posted by kevie88

haha, this car is the ugliest POS ever.. it's got kick ass wheels/brakes and soon-to-be suspension tho!
    i saw the car before you bought it in person, its not THAT bad at all. i have seen worse 240's.
    hope you get it fixed up and running good. that car sounds mean in person
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

My Ride
    Honda

Definitely cool!

I'd like to see the car in action too, and see what kind of number's it pulls up.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Congrats Kev, glad to see things are finally looking good for you...and your 240...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Good shit man.

BTW is it just me, or does every friggin military guy stationed in japan drive a skyline?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

I got a ton more done tonight.. the blow off valve flange was welded directly onto the turbo outlet flange, and I'm sure this was really bad for flow out of the turbine.. Blow-off valves are supposed to be on the cold side of the intercooler close to the throttle plate. So I cut the flange off of the turbo outlet and made a plate from aluminum to fill in the hole.. I'll have the that and the flange welded onto the cold-pipe at aerotech tommorow.

I got the differential out so I can swap the VLSD in tommorow too. that oughta help the launching, the car does really long peg leg burnouts right now.. heh

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Thats awesome man, who gave you a V30 wiring harness? Cant wait to see it in action, the car is going to be like night and day
    It's not actually a VG harness, just the ECU.. the ecu connectors are the same on both the cars so the VG one bolts in. I'm really surprised that the car ran at all like this, let alone as 'good' as it did. I'm just hoping I haven't done any damage to the engine due to advanced timing and improper fuelling..

Originally posted by ~$eanith~
    Good shit man.

BTW is it just me, or does every friggin military guy stationed in japan drive a skyline?
    OT: Soon every young guy in Alberta will be driving them too.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

*update*.. Got the new ecu, and the car runs perfectly!

Soon I'll be on the road.. Just waiting for the last suspension bits and I need to get the rust on the windshield frame fixed. Almost there
    Bought not built!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast