Quantcast
Calgary Shutting Down 16th Avenue Trailer Park - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Calgary Shutting Down 16th Avenue Trailer Park

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was pro-bono, by a law firm with ties to Bill Smith. Most likely just an election ploy rather than actual concern.

The court has ruled and the eviction is going ahead. The city acted in accordance with the law and they have to vacate by February.

The TLDR of the whole situation is that these were tenants who received a huge amount of notice and the city paid them when they didn’t have to. They either didn’t understand their actual rights or figured they could get the city and the court to ignor the actual laws and let them stay and make the city pay to fix the park
    Ah, gotcha. I didn't know that about the law suit part.

As for the rest of it, yes they have been given huge notice and a generous unnecessary payment - the few people I know living in that area can't wait for that park to be gone. I personally can't see how anyone could view this situation as unfair, and nobody else should have to pay for poor life decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Ah, gotcha. I didn't know that about the law suit part.

As for the rest of it, yes they have been given huge notice and a generous unnecessary payment - the few people I know living in that area can't wait for that park to be gone. I personally can't see how anyone could view this situation as unfair, and nobody else should have to pay for poor life decisions.
    Except, this isn't a matter of a poor life decision. It's a matter of misguided delusional people. That is, renting property and somehow thinking it belongs to them.

That nonsense is only topped by the nonsense that we're forced to give them thousands of dollars. WTF?

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

On the bright side, being a trailer park there won't be a whole lot of steps for CPS to drag all the stubborn seniors down when they refuse to leave...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjoker77 View Post
    On the bright side, being a trailer park there won't be a whole lot of steps for CPS to drag all the stubborn seniors down when they refuse to leave...
    Being a run down trailer park also means a disproportionately higher cases of mental health problems (seniors, low in come, etc.) where issues like Mar brought up previous, as well as non-logical thinking (emotion-based), tends to happen more often than not.

What was the reason for not building the other trailer park somewhere else in the city like they originally said they would?

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by My_name_is_Rob View Post
    If I was 80, and still paying off a mortgage, you can bet I would be doing the same thing.
    Sad but true, I had a former colleague from my security days who had a trailer there. He was in rough shape age and health wise so I hate to think what happened to him.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    What was the reason for not building the other trailer park somewhere else in the city like they originally said they would?
    It was proposed to the owners, asking how many people would want to move out there and very few people, if any, had any interest in it so the city just abandoned the idea and put money elsewhere. I imagine the lack of interest was for a few reasons:
    - it was still years away so they were hoping for something better
    - at the time, and still now, 84 Street was way in the middle of nowhere with no access to groceries, pharmacies, doctors....
    - people are stubborn
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

The final trailer has been demolished and there is now a gate across the entrance to prevent entrance. Travelling past it on 16 Avenue east bound you can see the large field next to it where there are still some campers and I think boats as well that belonged to someone that died there many years ago. They'll probably go to auction. Sad, sad day.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4