Quantcast
Calgary Shutting Down 16th Avenue Trailer Park - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Shutting Down 16th Avenue Trailer Park

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Default Calgary Shutting Down 16th Avenue Trailer Park

This is outrageous, I wanted to post about it last year but now it's making me increasingly mystified at how the city is handling this. My girlfriend has been following it more than I have as she has family living there so I'll summarize the points I'm upset about after a brief explanation for those that aren't aware of what's happening.

Just west of Deerfoot Trail on 16th Avenue is a trailer park with about 100 residents and the land it is sitting on is worth a fortune but the city isn't collecting much in taxes because of the low income families living there and the low property values. The city has decided they are going to forcefully evict everyone from the park, give each resident $10,000 and put condos there instead. These people have nowhere to go, they were given notice since, I believe last year, but where does an 85 year old single woman with no family go?

1. The city is complaining that the infrastructure below the park is crumbling and needs to be completely replaced as the pipes are no longer safe. Bullshit, the infrastructure in Inglewood is way older but nobody's saying anything to them. Also, do you think the developer that purchased the land is going to tear it all up and replace all the piping before starting construction? When that happens I'll go down there and you're all welcome to line up and kick me in the nuts because it never will.

2. These people are being given $10,000, how are they supposed to find another place for that? Many of those trailers are worth over $150,000 and many residents are still paying on a mortgage. So they're going to be evicted with a mortgage to pay and no home? Or yes, they can take their trailer but there are no other parks in Calgary to place it on, they would have to move outside Calgary to live, how are they going to get to their doctor? Who is going to bring them groceries? Right now they can walk to Co-Op next door.

3. The city is offering each resident $10,000 but they're making each owner pay property taxes based on the higher property value they received earlier this year. If their property is only worth $10,000, shouldn't they just be paying property taxes on that? WTF?

4. Prior to being elected councillor for the ward, the politician went door to door in that park telling them he's going to fight for them and it's a huge deal that the city is making this happen, he is going to do what he can to make sure they are taken care of. As soon as he was elected for the ward, he signed the papers to have them evicted! WTF? Looking online it looks like it is ward 9 and the politician appears to be GIAN-CARLO CARRA but I'm not too sure exactly whom it was at the time.

5. Many seniors have already committed suicide over this. How is an 80-90 year old person going to get a mortgage? Is any bank going to give someone 5 years from death a 25 year mortgage? Any one of these seniors without family is going to be living either on the street or moved into the welfare system.

6. The city says they're going to take care of the older seniors by moving them into low income housing. Really? Many of the residents in there were placed there by the low income housing program by the city!

7. A couple of years ago my girlfriend's family got together with some of the other owners in there and offered to buy the entire park from the city. The city told them no, they would never sell that property, no way. Now it's sold to an independent developer. Nice.

8. Have you driven by there lately and seen the number of vacant trailers left there? People are putting their keys in the mailbox and just leaving, they owe so much money on the property and they're getting so little for it that they can't afford to even live there any more.

9. The city originally had a plan to build them another trailer park to move them all to but it got too expensive so they just dropped the idea and now aren't doing anything for them.

What a load of fuck, how do you knock on the door of an 85 year old with no family and tell them it's time for them to take their shit because you're bulldozing their home? And they can go down to the welfare office now to find somewhere to live. It's nonsense, it enrages me just thinking about it. We live in a city with the ability to do something for one another but it seems more important to make money on it instead. No joke, the Syrian refugees emigrating from another country were given more money to start lives here than our own residents are being given to bulldoze their lifelong homes. It's embarrassing to admit that I am a part of the city where this is taking place, I feel ashamed people live a long nice life and now have to go through this. It makes me sick to my stomach.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Default Re: Calgary Shutting Down 16th Avenue Trailer Park

Originally posted by Mar
    This is outrageous, I wanted to post about it last year but now it's making me increasingly mystified at how the city is handling this. My girlfriend has been following it more than I have as she has family living there so I'll summarize the points I'm upset about after a brief explanation for those that aren't aware of what's happening.

Just west of Deerfoot Trail on 16th Avenue is a trailer park with about 100 residents and the land it is sitting on is worth a fortune but the city isn't collecting much in taxes because of the low income families living there and the low property values. The city has decided they are going to forcefully evict everyone from the park, give each resident $10,000 and put condos there instead. These people have nowhere to go, they were given notice since, I believe last year, but where does an 85 year old single woman with no family go?

1. The city is complaining that the infrastructure below the park is crumbling and needs to be completely replaced as the pipes are no longer safe. Bullshit, the infrastructure in Inglewood is way older but nobody's saying anything to them. Also, do you think the developer that purchased the land is going to tear it all up and replace all the piping before starting construction? When that happens I'll go down there and you're all welcome to line up and kick me in the nuts because it never will.

2. These people are being given $10,000, how are they supposed to find another place for that? Many of those trailers are worth over $150,000 and many residents are still paying on a mortgage. So they're going to be evicted with a mortgage to pay and no home? Or yes, they can take their trailer but there are no other parks in Calgary to place it on, they would have to move outside Calgary to live, how are they going to get to their doctor? Who is going to bring them groceries? Right now they can walk to Co-Op next door.

3. The city is offering each resident $10,000 but they're making each owner pay property taxes based on the higher property value they received earlier this year. If their property is only worth $10,000, shouldn't they just be paying property taxes on that? WTF?

4. Prior to being elected councillor for the ward, the politician went door to door in that park telling them he's going to fight for them and it's a huge deal that the city is making this happen, he is going to do what he can to make sure they are taken care of. As soon as he was elected for the ward, he signed the papers to have them evicted! WTF? Looking online it looks like it is ward 9 and the politician appears to be GIAN-CARLO CARRA but I'm not too sure exactly whom it was at the time.

5. Many seniors have already committed suicide over this. How is an 80-90 year old person going to get a mortgage? Is any bank going to give someone 5 years from death a 25 year mortgage? Any one of these seniors without family is going to be living either on the street or moved into the welfare system.

6. The city says they're going to take care of the older seniors by moving them into low income housing. Really? Many of the residents in there were placed there by the low income housing program by the city!

7. A couple of years ago my girlfriend's family got together with some of the other owners in there and offered to buy the entire park from the city. The city told them no, they would never sell that property, no way. Now it's sold to an independent developer. Nice.

8. Have you driven by there lately and seen the number of vacant trailers left there? People are putting their keys in the mailbox and just leaving, they owe so much money on the property and they're getting so little for it that they can't afford to even live there any more.

9. The city originally had a plan to build them another trailer park to move them all to but it got too expensive so they just dropped the idea and now aren't doing anything for them.

What a load of fuck, how do you knock on the door of an 85 year old with no family and tell them it's time for them to take their shit because you're bulldozing their home? And they can go down to the welfare office now to find somewhere to live. It's nonsense, it enrages me just thinking about it. We live in a city with the ability to do something for one another but it seems more important to make money on it instead. No joke, the Syrian refugees emigrating from another country were given more money to start lives here than our own residents are being given to bulldoze their lifelong homes. It's embarrassing to admit that I am a part of the city where this is taking place, I feel ashamed people live a long nice life and now have to go through this. It makes me sick to my stomach.

In 4 Mar thread

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

I believe the trailer park was notified of the eviction a few years ago. Did the tenants close their eyes and pretend it wasn't going to happen? Sorry about your family but seriously...

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
    I believe the trailer park was notified of the eviction a few years ago. Did the tenants close their eyes and pretend it wasn't going to happen? Sorry about your family but seriously...
    I think the notice was around 2 years but if I offered you $10,000 and you were unable to get a mortgage and had no family, what are your options? Suicide seems to be popular.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Originally posted by Mar
    I think the notice was around 2 years but if I offered you $10,000 and you were unable to get a mortgage and had no family, what are your options? Suicide seems to be popular.
    Rent is the lowest it's been in Calgary for a few years. Some of these people work, some receive government support i'm sure. You telling me they can't afford a 500-700/mth condo? If you can't then work two jobs, i did for 5 years just to afford my lifestyle.

Seniors will get fast tracked through city housing or help via seniors centre to afford rent. There is help available.

Life maybe harder for them but not impossible.

May 2014 they were given notice for Sep 30, 2017.

$10,000 lump sum + $10,000 moving fee. A private developer said they were looking to develop more trailer park lots which was the driving factor for the city backing out of their own deal.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 10-06-2016 at 01:17 PM.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Did they seek advice and the general consensus was that it won't be wise to buy there but they still went ahead and bought anyways? If so then...

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    bus

Poor people don't deserve nice things

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

For point 1, any condo development would be digging far deeper than the existing infrastructure depth, so you may want to reconsider that offer. Either that or invest in a really good muay thai steel cup.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Default Re: Calgary Shutting Down 16th Avenue Trailer Park

Originally posted by Mar

Where are all these senior suicides in the news?

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Re: Re: Calgary Shutting Down 16th Avenue Trailer Park

Originally posted by G-ZUS
    In 4 Mar thread
    Well off the hop, he thinks they are not allowed to move the trailers and the city is giving $10k for the trailer itself.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Re: Re: Calgary Shutting Down 16th Avenue Trailer Park

Originally posted by eglove

Where are all these senior suicides in the news?
    the news does not publicize any suicides (unless its a big celebrity) as to not draw attention to it, and in effect discourage others from doing it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Default Re: Re: Re: Calgary Shutting Down 16th Avenue Trailer Park

Originally posted by spikerS

the news does not publicize any suicides (unless its a big celebrity) as to not draw attention to it, and in effect discourage others from doing it.
    But it should be news worthy if they are offing themselves because they have been wronged by the city. Kind of like self immolation.

Default Re: Re: Re: Calgary Shutting Down 16th Avenue Trailer Park

Originally posted by spikerS

I wish they took this approach with Terrorist attacks as well.

BUT that shit sells newspapers.

At the end of the day, it's leased land. They were also given OVER THREE YEARS notice.

http://www.midfieldpark.ca/20140527_1.html

People living in trailer parks have to abide by the contracts they sign when they move there.

Hopefully they are able to sell their trailers to someone who wants one or find a place to put theirs.

My Ride
    G6

Trailer parks gross me out. I feel a shiver of grossness just thinking about a trailer park.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Its a trailer park in the inner city sitting on millions of dollars of land and drags down the property values of everything in the area. Wtf did people think was going to happen?

10,000 dollars will buy them a plane ticket to nova scotia to go live with the rest of the trailer park boys.

Don't own the land you live on? Don't complain when shit happens and you have to move.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

How is $20K not enough to move your trailer somewhere else?

I don't see the problem with this, the risk would have been known before choosing to live there.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Is this the park that easily houses speed traps? If so, boo

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by flipstah
    Is this the park that easily houses speed traps? If so, boo
    That would be the one

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast